Engine choice

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Lord Muck

Engine choice

Post by Lord Muck » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:55 pm

When buying a car this is the big thing for me! As it was with choosing the Kodiaq.

I'm always a bit torn between fuel economy and what I want!

When I test drove the Kodiaq I wanted to try the 1.4 AWD manual which I did and I have to say I was really impressed with it, it was smooth with plenty of power. The economy was showing 42mpg but in real world use I would probable get 30-35. I like the eco mode and all in all I was impressed.

I then went back and tried the 2L Diesel DSG AWD this was lovely, plenty of power for what I need and loads of low end torque, something the petrol lacked. Most of my driving will be open roads and duel carriage ways with the odd long haul to Prague and back loaded to the eyeballs.

It was a tough choice and I eventually went for the Diesel AWD but in manual. I know there is a bit of a war looming on Diesel and I expect it to go up but I figure the extra MPG will offset some of this and for me the pleasure of driving something I like is worth paying the extra for!
1.4TSI Kodiaq SE 4x4 7 seats manual.. build week 23 5/6/17
Extras are window blinds, driver mode, colour computer, reversing camera and a spare wheel.

I swear way too much, apparently the use of colourful metaphors is frowned on in polite society!

Robert

Re: Engine choice

Post by Robert » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:19 pm

I am the reverse. I looked at the diesel (having had seven diesel XTrails over the years - and was getting 46mpg in the 1.6 automatic version) but with diesels being attacked from all sides and of the uncertainty of the future I have opted for the Kodiaq 2.0 TSI 180ps Edition DSG. I would have stayed with Nissan but for the fact that there is no petrol/automatic option (with family in Scotland - the M6 is a pain with a manual gearbox. I searched high and low for a similar petrol vehicle ....and then along came Kodiaq. Delivery is due second/third week in May. I await with baited breath.

KodiaqPetrolHead

Post by KodiaqPetrolHead » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Robert - you will NOT be disappointed!
It growls...
Business Grey SE-L TSI 180 PS 4x4 DSG with whistles & bells.
Took ownership 6 April '17.

HamsterWheel

Post by HamsterWheel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:40 pm

My attraction to the Skodiaq was BECAUSE you could get petrol ones. I wanted petrol as driving a diesel is now seen as bad as driving along in a car covered in baby panda skins... as a London cyclist I'm beginning to hate diesels quite a bit.
Dealer tried to convince me the 1.4 was enough.... no way!
2.0 TSI Edition in Petrol Blue beige leather. Flappy paddles, heated screen & nozzles, driver alert, adaptive cruise control, front sensors, mats, spare wheel, waste bin... Order 3 Mar, got stuck in factory awaiting seats. Cancelled.

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Kodiaq Petrol Head.......What MPG are you getting (I realise the car will not be "run in" yet)?

KodiaqPetrolHead

Post by KodiaqPetrolHead » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Mid 30s mpg. Hoping it will go to low 40s on a run when loosened up.

I'm quite heavy footed though - never did manage to get 50mpg out of my 2.0 4x4 Octavia. My nephew drove it part way back from Switzerland and proudly got 53mpg out of it - though we nearly missed the damn ferry!
Business Grey SE-L TSI 180 PS 4x4 DSG with whistles & bells.
Took ownership 6 April '17.

Dcibarnaby

Post by Dcibarnaby » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Any disturbing thoughts about the 1.5tsi being anounced for the Karoq? Won't be surprised to see a Kodiaq 1.5tsi with a 7 gear DSG in the near future? What do you think? Wait or just order a 1.4 tsi?

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 am

Highly likely i would think.
I think early adopters have, to a certain degree, been used as Guinea pigs.
Dropping colours, bringing in upgrades after only a couple of months.
The 1.5tsi had been in V dubs since before the K arrived.
I think, may be wrong, that they had a load of 1.4tsi engines left and used them up on the K. So that once again, top dog VW gets all the new toys & poor old Skoda gets the hind tit as usual.
Judging by how the spec of all Skodas has been diminishing over the past few years, I get the feeling that VW are getting worried about Skoda's success and are reducing on goodies to try and persuade people moving up to buy a VW . But while VW are so much more expensive, I think they are wasting their time.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

bigboss

Post by bigboss » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 am

To be honest, in real world, there will be little to differentiate between a 1.4 and a 1.5 litre TSI.
Kodiaq SE L, 1.4 TSI 150 PS DSG, Magnetic Brown metallic, beige leather, 19" Triglav, towbar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Heated leather MFSW, Adaptive cruise control, Front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera. Škoda ID: 98705067

KodiaqDna

Post by KodiaqDna » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 pm

To be honest I would probably gone for a diesel if it wasn't for the vilification of them in the press and in government and I feel that this agenda is not going to go away. My last cars were the new 1.9 diesel Octavia saloon, when they first came out. I kept it for 2 years and the opted for a 1.9 diesel estate which I kept for six and a half years before selling it for my present car a 1.7cdti 4x4 Vauxhall Mokka when I fancied a change which I have had for four years. Have now agreed to purchase a Skoda Kodiaq 1.4tsi 4x4. When I tried the 1.4tsi I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. Much of ones choice will be personal preference and what they will be doing it. I would suspect that most of whom have purchased the 1.4tsi have no intention of using the vehicle for towing or they would have chosen either, one of the diesel or the 2.0tsi. It is all about horses for courses.
Kodiaq Edition1.4tsi manual awd in quartz grey with black leather, rear view camera with led rear lights, adaptive cruise control, dynamic chassis control, rough road package, front /rear parking sensors, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen/washers.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”