Racechip GTS

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Colin Lambert

Re: Racechip GTS

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:41 pm

According to Racechip the XLR is suitable for ALL cars with 'fly by wire' throttle.
All it does is modify the factory ECU to dump loads more (depending on selection) fuel into the system. Bigger bang means better and more instant acceleration.
My guess is you have a duff unit. Obviously I stand to be corrected, but should they replace it for you, we would all be glad to know the result when fitted to an 'oiler'.
I have just looked on the Racechip XLR web site again and they say it is suitable for ALL Kodiaq engines, petrol or derv and all horse powers.
As far as I know you are the first person to have a problem with this unit, I do admit I don't know if any derv owners other than you have fitted one.
When I went the Karoq route I sold mine on this forum and the buyer was very pleased with it as have been all users that have commented.
Good luck! Do let us know how you get on.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

J-R

Post by J-R » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:10 pm

I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I have found the following additional info. re the Racechip XLR with diesel engines:

In this forum, both Fuzzz and Pink72 indicate TDI engines and say they have no lag when using the XLR:
Pink72 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:07 pm
I have no lag at all, in fact on the setting I have I have to consciously be gently with initial accelerator depression otherwise it takes off quite rapidly and immediately.
Pink72 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 pm
I am on the sport setting. There is no perceptible lag in touching the accelerator and the engine responding. Equally the response is linear too. I note you are in a petrol and myself a diesel but that should make no difference at all (assuming).
Fuzzz wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 pm
Just installed Racechip XLR . It removes 97%of the lag...3% is turbo lag problably. Have to say I'm very surprised about this little box and happy.
So maybe Colin is right that I got a bad unit.

On the other hand, here's a report from a BMW owner on a different forum, which sounds exactly like what I am experiencing:
I have the XLR, it gives a smaller but still noticeable difference in comfort, but very noticeable in sport. When i dial it back to the 'neutral' (as original) position, it feels like I'm suddenly towing a caravan. It does't however get rid of that second or so of lag off the line before the turbo spools up, and in the higher gears it's hard to feel any influence from the device. It also doesn't give you the throttle response of a good naturally aspirated engine, your turbo still has to get on boost. It really just gives you the same result as wacking the throttle open, but with just a light throttle pedal input - except maybe saves you the 2/10ths of a second it takes to push the pedal all the way down. Snake oil it may be, but I love it.
Will let you know if I get a response from Haz Motorsport.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

J-R

Post by J-R » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:26 pm

For anyone who is interested, here is the end of the story:

I tested the device more carefully on its various settings and I determined that it IS functioning, in terms of magnifying or diminishing the engine revs for any given position of the accelerator pedal. However, no matter which setting is selected, there is NO difference whatsoever in the delay between pressing down the accelerator pedal from a complete stop and the car starting to move (“throttle lag”).

Someone told me that this might have to do with the fact that it is a turbo diesel model – but it was my understanding that this device eliminates throttle lag, for all types of vehicles, including those with turbo diesel engines. The only reason I purchased the device was to eliminate the (very annoying) throttle lag on this car.

Bottom line: the device seemed to be functioning in general, but it seems clear to me that it was not able to eliminate throttle lag in my particular car. Since no one else has reported this experience on this forum, I hope that future readers will be more fully informed about what they might experience, based on my experience.

FYI, the company from which I ordered it via eBay, Haz Motorsport Limited, Dewsbury, United Kingdom, agreed to receive the unit by return post and issue me a refund. Their customer service via email was decent.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Glad you got it sorted. Not a cheap bit kit. There is another make doing the same thing, but I can't remember the name. It's on the forum somewhere.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”