Engine noise / whistle

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
SkodiaqDK

Engine noise / whistle

Post by SkodiaqDK » Sun May 19, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi. Is this normal? 2.0 tsi 190ps.

Comes when engine is cold. I turn on the engine. Everything ok. Then when i put the gear in reverse and move my foot from the brake, the sound comes. Then foot on the brake again, put gear into drive. Then i remove foot from brake and it comes again. I can repeat it maybe 6-8 times and then it stops.

No use of throttle.
DK - ordered week 17 - Kodiaq 2.0 tsi style 5 seats. Black. Ventilated seats, lane assist, towbar, blis, acc, heated windscreen, sign recogn, amundsen, park assist with area view, rear cam, electric trunk, virtual cockpit. Delivered ~ week5, 2019

Colin Lambert

Re: Engine noise / whistle

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 am

From your vid, it sounded as though the whistle came on as the revs increased. If so that sounds as though it might be an induction air leak?
You don't say what transmission you have. If manual it may be a duff clutche release bearing I would think unheard of on a new car)
Apart from those, I am at a loss I'm afraid.
Dealer visit ?
Good luck.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

SkodiaqDK

Post by SkodiaqDK » Mon May 20, 2019 1:49 pm

I believe DSG is the only option with a 2.0 tsi engine.

So DQ381 for the MY19.

My theories for now... bearings (On a DSG?) ?
turbo? turbo hoses?
chain tightener?

My dealer told me (From the video) that it could be "sticky" brakes... . I seriously doubt that.
DK - ordered week 17 - Kodiaq 2.0 tsi style 5 seats. Black. Ventilated seats, lane assist, towbar, blis, acc, heated windscreen, sign recogn, amundsen, park assist with area view, rear cam, electric trunk, virtual cockpit. Delivered ~ week5, 2019

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon May 20, 2019 4:48 pm

I seriously hope it wasn't anybody from the service dept, if so I wouldn't risk letting them loose on a Dinky toy, let alone my expensive Kodiaq!

So he thinks you were running along side the open bonnet with brakes squeaking did he? What a moron!

I only have a Btech diploma in automotive engineering , so what do I know! ;)

I still think the most likely is an induction air leak. Turbo hose loose? One of my Discos made exactly that noise & I found the air intake to the turbo body had come loose.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
[color=#00

SkodiaqDK

Post by SkodiaqDK » Mon May 20, 2019 5:32 pm

Yeah. It made me a bit mad the brake theory... :evil:

But if there is something leaky in the turbo system, then i believe the sound should continue? The sound is only there when the car crawls.... And then it keeps on going 1 or 2 sec after the car is in a stand still. And then it dissapears.

And it should get more obvious when it gets rpms if it was turbo? Right?

I am underwhelmed about the DSG gearbox (My first VAG car, and first DSG automatic). I kind of hope it is the gearbox.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Sorry, I overlooked that bit. I am somewhat stumped then. but there is no way it's brakes, unless it's an air leak on the brake servo.
Whatever it is, it should not be happening on a new car.
Do you have another Skoda dealer within easy reach? If so take it there and see . if you can get a sensible diagnosis.
BTW, Why don' t you like the DSG? Most people love them, including me. All 7 of my Skodas have been DSG. Beats the old torque converter auto box & The CVT type every time as far as I am concerned.
If you tell us why you are not happy with it somebody may be able to help.
[color=#00

SkodiaqDK

Post by SkodiaqDK » Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 pm
Sorry, I overlooked that bit. I am somewhat stumped then. but there is no way it's brakes, unless it's an air leak on the brake servo.
Whatever it is, it should not be happening on a new car.
Do you have another Skoda dealer within easy reach? If so take it there and see . if you can get a sensible diagnosis.
BTW, Why don' t you like the DSG? Most people love them, including me. All 7 of my Skodas have been DSG. Beats the old torque converter auto box & The CVT type every time as far as I am concerned.
If you tell us why you are not happy with it somebody may be able to help.
I come from a ford mondeo 6 gear automatic. It was just much better at figuring out what gear to use. Not so eager to change up and down all the time and in round abouts like the dsg.

I feel the gears are jumpy and I don't like the noise from when the clutches releases and grabs. And the free running mode just adds unnecessary extra gearchanges.

I remember my testdrive in 2.0 tsi with dq500 as a much better ride than the 2.0 tsi with dq381. But it only lasted for 30 minutes.

I am actually trying to sell my kodiaq because i dont like the gearbox. Been looking at xc60/x3 instead. But they are too expensive and I can't get any decent money for my kodiaq.

So instead i now hope there is a fault with the gearbox that can be fixed, so i can get happy with the car i waited 9 months to receive.

And yes, my dealer has previously claimed that it drives as it should.

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Tue May 21, 2019 12:38 am

Sounds induction related , sticking wastegate .
Best just take it in it’s a new car shouldn’t be leaking . I’m guessing a full leak test would be carried out
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue May 21, 2019 9:30 am

Your DSG does NOT sound right, from what you say above.

I feel the gears are jumpy and I don't like the noise from when the clutches releases and grabs. And the free running mode just adds unnecessary extra gearchanges.

I have never had any of those symptoms in any of my 7 Skodas. They certainly have never kept changing gear all the time and when they DO change gear, you should not be able to notice it. None of mine have ever had noises or 'grabbing' from the clutches.
I strongly recommend that you take it to another dealer, write an email to Skoda U.K. explaining your dissatisfaction with the reasons why. Ask for the matter too be investigated by a Customer services MANAGER.
If you have a less than competent dealer, (which it sounds as though you may have) they will be only too happy to brush you off.
Do NOT give up .......It needs sorting out. Tell them you will be prepared to return the car as 'Not fit for purpose' if they don't get it sorted.
[color=#00

SkodiaqDK

Post by SkodiaqDK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35 am

Mechanic info:

"The engine takes in extra air when it is cold, to make the engine hot, faster." To reduce particles etc...

BUT IT MAKES NO SENSE THAT IT DOES NOT BEGIN IMMEDIATELY WHEN I TURN THE ENGINE ON, BUT FIRST WHEN IT STARTS ROLLING.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”