'E' gearbox mode resets to 'D' on restart

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
bother

'E' gearbox mode resets to 'D' on restart

Post by bother » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 am

Anyone found a way to keep 'E' gearbox mode engaged on a restart? Mine always goes back to 'D' even when the Drive Mode Select is left in 'Eco'.

The only way I can find of reselecting 'E' is to reselect 'Eco' mode using Drive Select Mode.

I wasn't that bothered about 'E' mode but I noticed the other day it enables coasting which my old VW used to do (when you lift off the throttle, and don't brake, it drops into neutral to allow it to roll further and faster).

Do we think teh reversion from 'E' to 'D' on restart is by design or a bug/oversight? I can't think of a good reason why it shouldn't stay in 'E' when in Eco?
Edition 1.4DSG, Front Sensors, Spacesaver

Colin Lambert

Re: 'E' gearbox mode resets to 'D' on restart

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 am

I gave up on E a long time ago as I found it most annoying and saved not a drop of juice.
I don't remember it resetting itself to D though.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

bother

Post by bother » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 am
I gave up on E a long time ago as I found it most annoying and saved not a drop of juice.
Thanks Colin!

I'm giving it another go now I've discovered it enables coasting. I too am not convinced yet there's much of a fuel saving.

It's the resetting to 'D' every time you get back into the car that's a bit of a faff though.

Shocks

Post by Shocks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:48 pm

bother wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am
Colin Lambert wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 am
Thanks Colin!

I'm giving it another go now I've discovered it enables coasting. I too am not convinced yet there's much of a fuel saving.

It's the resetting to 'D' every time you get back into the car that's a bit of a faff though.
I only know it resets on other cars too such as the BMW 3 & 5 Series, does it on the M3 & M5 from memory - particularly annoying when everytime you start the car it resets from Sports Mode into Normal :cry:

I think you can get the Kodiaq with "driver memory" (or whatever it is called) which sets up the car to your individual settings...this might have worked better for you
Ordered 27.01.2018. :lol: SE L 1.4 TSI petrol 2WD DSG Black Magic with Sirius wheels (aka Sirius Black - Harry Potter :roll: ), LED Pack, ACC, Paint protection. :lol:

shep

Post by shep » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:31 am

A quick way of getting back to E mode after turning off the ignition is to start the car and quickly double tap the off road button (if you have it). This can be done with the car in motion.
2.0 TDI 7DSG 190PS AWD | Edition Delivered 14/01/18
Tow bar, Heated screen/jets, Front sensors, resr camera, ambient lights, special spare, rear tables
Build week 47 2017

bother

Post by bother » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:57 am

shep wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:31 am
A quick way of getting back to E mode after turning off the ignition is to start the car and quickly double tap the off road button (if you have it). This can be done with the car in motion.
Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately no off road button 😕😉

CTP_KODIAQ

Post by CTP_KODIAQ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Always reverts to Normal on start, even if switched off when in Individual mode. Econ saves about 10% I reckon & I don't find it that sluggish. Best economy I've achieved is 45mpg - 48ml trip, average speed 39mph.
Kodiaq 7seat Edition 1.4TSi (150) 2WD DSG Pan roof, running boards, beige leather, heated front & back seats, Canton sound, heated screen, park assist, rear view camera with LED lights, LED interior light pack

ConfusedAgain

Post by ConfusedAgain » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:17 am

Just picked up my Kodiaq this week. Very pleased with it so far. But this is one niggle that I have also found. Mine is exactly the same after switching to Eco mode it then resets to normal after a restart (indicated by the "D" in front of the gear number as opposed to "E"). The mode selector still shows it as Eco mode and I have to cycle through all the modes to go back to Eco before it will actually change to Eco.

I too like the coasting, time will tell if it will really make any difference, but it feels like it should do. I am only managing about 30Mpg, but I guess it is a bit tight at the moment.
1.4 TSI DSG Edition, 2 wheel drive, bad boy wheels

Marinfullsuss

Post by Marinfullsuss » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:50 am

ConfusedAgain wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:17 am
Just picked up my Kodiaq this week. Very pleased with it so far. But this is one niggle that I have also found. Mine is exactly the same after switching to Eco mode it then resets to normal after a restart (indicated by the "D" in front of the gear number as opposed to "E"). The mode selector still shows it as Eco mode and I have to cycle through all the modes to go back to Eco before it will actually change to Eco.

I too like the coasting, time will tell if it will really make any difference, but it feels like it should do. I am only managing about 30Mpg, but I guess it is a bit tight at the moment.
Interesting. When in coasting mode, will the car continue to speed up on a downhill (assuming you're not using ACC)?
SE Technology, 5 seats, 150 TDi, manual, 4WD, candy white, towbar, adaptive cruise control, rear camera, Amundsen sat nav, front & rear parking sensors, space saver wheel

bother

Post by bother » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:17 am

Marinfullsuss wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:50 am
Interesting. When in coasting mode, will the car continue to speed up on a downhill (assuming you're not using ACC)?
Good question. Not sure but I suspect so.

It can take a while to get used to even on the flat. When you lift off for slowing traffic in front, the car doesn't decelerate as quickly as you may be used to and you'll find yourself closing on the traffic ahead of you somewhat unexpectedly at first!

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”