DSG auto gearboxes

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Hugh Fanism

Re: DSG auto gearboxes

Post by Hugh Fanism » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:34 am
I apologise in advance. I am in 'dogmatic mode' this morning. I was even accused by my housemaster at school for being too dogmatic! ;) :lol:

I think Skoda are insane having 'Launch control' on an SUV.
It's fine on a high powered sports car driven by lunatics like Clarkson, on a track , But really! On an SUV on road? Pointless!.
A friend of mine has a 4 something series Beemer twin turbo 'oiler' that does 0-62 in just over 4 seconds. WHY?. . Ok I know that therefore the overtakability is excellent but using 0-62 times like that on road, is a quick way to become a pedestrian!! :lol:
I am not calling anyone j]here who tries it daft, I might even try it ONCE when the engine/transmission frees up a bit, just for the experience, but it can't do the 'coggage' any good.
Going back to DSGs.
I much prefer the 7 speed I had on all my other Skodas. The 6-er I find hangs onto 1st too long during slowish acceleration which can't do the consumption any good and I find each gear, is of necessity a bit too 'long legged' in comparison with the 7 speed.
I can't understand why they used the 6 speed in the 1.4.
Anybody else have any comments having owned both?
Is this maybe just the ratios set up on the Kodiaq rather than specifically the 6 speed? Given that 7th is supposedly only used for cruising then I'd expect the gear ratios to be the same on both boxes. Just being pragmatic there.
1.4 DSG SE L, council paint, ACC, blinds for the wee one and leccy child locks so I can mess with people. Ordered 14 April and now on BW36.

Colin Lambert

Re: DSG auto gearboxes

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 am

Hugh,
You could be right.
I have noticed that the Yeti's 7 speed spent far less time in each gear, than does the K that hangs on to each gear longer to achieve the same progress.
Moderator GroupSE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, Panoramic Roof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglav wheels. Free Spacesaver and Canton sound system.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Automotive)

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”