2.0 TSi fuel consumption - pleasantly surprised

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
SinglePointSafety

2.0 TSi fuel consumption - pleasantly surprised

Post by SinglePointSafety » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:12 pm

Previous car was a Golf Alltrack with 190 PS diesel auto. Now had my 2.0 TSi petrol Edition long enough, and have done exactly the same journeys, so that I can compare fuel consumption figures with meaningful accuracy, using GPS to adjust for speedo/odometer error.

If the Golf achieved ~60 mpg, the Kodiaq achieves ~47 mpg, and the other corresponding figures are Golf 55 mpg/Kodiaq 44 mpg, Golf 50 mpg/Kodiaq 41 mpg, give or take.

Having read some very negative reviews of the Kodiaq petrol mpg, I've been very, very pleasantly surprised by these figures. Also very pleased with the car's performance: my journeys often involve a very short slip road onto a dual-carriageway main road, and prod that right pedal, yep, no problem.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras

Plodd

Re: 2.0 TSi fuel consumption - pleasantly surprised

Post by Plodd » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:31 pm

I dream of 47mpg in my 190 diesel. My 150 used to do high 60s.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4X4 DSG SE L in Business Grey. Replacing an SE 150 DSG diesel in moon white.

old man

Post by old man » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:50 pm

my journeys often involve a very short slip road onto a dual-carriageway main road, and prod that right pedal, yep, no problem
How do you drive the rest of the time ? I've never seen above the low 30s in mine. You don't say whether yours is manual or auto ??

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:27 pm

old man: my 2.0 TSi is 4WD DSG (don't think you can get a manual and/or 2WD with this engine in a Kodiaq).

To answer your Q: rest of the time, I drive with observation, anticipation and mechanical sympathy, and mpg figures are hugely dependent on what type of roads you use and at what speed you drive (and I cycle or walk to work).

But that wasn't the point of the post, it's the comparison between this car and previous diesel, and I expected a much bigger difference given what others seem to be achieving mpg-wise and the scare stories of sub-30 mpg figures even in restrained driving.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras