Battery connection

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
squeakybadger

Battery connection

Post by squeakybadger » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:58 am

Hi,

As the car isn't getting any use as we are all locked in I decided to buy a trickle charger to keep the battery charged.

I've had a nosey under the bonnet and in the manual but not actually sure how I connect the + and - clips to the battery!

On the attached picture, do I remove the bolt and assembly that holds the battery in place before I connect the + clip to A? Or just clip it to the whole metal bit on that side?

I'm guessing it would be the same for the - side on the other end, but the flap covering it was showing that you shouldn't clip it to that part, but was pointing to somewhere else, that I think is C on the picture.

Any ideas? Don't fancy the battery exploding but would like to keep it charged :)

Thanks.

charge.jpg

Woolmeister

Re: Battery connection

Post by Woolmeister » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:31 pm

I would just clip the +ve clip to the +ve terminal and the -ve clip to the -ve terminal. If you don't fancy connecting it to the -ve terminal, then connect it to the thing labeled C. You can usually attach the -ve clip to most exposed metal parts like this to complete the circuit.

Don't disconnect anything. The car should still go to sleep as normal. I'd be surprised if the battery went flat without trickle charging it, though, unless it has a quiescent drain somewhere.

Used to use a CTEK charger on my old Discovery 3 and that's all I did on that.

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey
Panoramic Roof, Virtual Cockpit, Canton Sound, Adaptive Cruise Control, Heated Steering Wheel, Reverse Camera, Space Saver Spare Wheel, Side Steps

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Connect charger as per owners manual, +ve clip to the battery positive terminal and the -ve clip to point c in your picture. Don’t remove any bolts.
As above you shouldn’t need to use a charger.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

old man

Post by old man » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:57 pm

What KennyR said above. I use a trickle charger on mine that way and it works fine.

With respect, what Woolmeister said isn't true, in the right circumstances your battery will go flat. I left my car unused for 3 weeks last month whilst away and on my return it was flat. It might not have gone flat had I remembered to disable the interior motion sensor alarm before I went :( .
Also, if most of your journeys are short one, then you might not give the battery enough charge at any one time.

A trickle charger is a good idea, especially at the moment.

P.S. I bought an AA trickle charger which is working fine and was much cheaper than C-TEK

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm

Woolmeister wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:31 pm
I would just clip the +ve clip to the +ve terminal and the -ve clip to the -ve terminal. If you don't fancy connecting it to the -ve terminal, then connect it to the thing labeled C. You can usually attach the -ve clip to most exposed metal parts like this to complete the circuit.

Don't disconnect anything. The car should still go to sleep as normal. I'd be surprised if the battery went flat without trickle charging it, though, unless it has a quiescent drain somewhere.

Used to use a CTEK charger on my old Discovery 3 and that's all I did on that.

Steve

You MUST NOT connect the -ve clip to the battery -ve. You have a Stop/Start system on the Kodiaq and clipping to the battery terminal can damage the battery. You MUST clip it to point C to ensure proper charging without causing battery damage.

See page 287 of the digital manual;

"Only charge the vehicle battery when the ignition and all consumers are
switched off.
Refer to the instructions of the charger manufacturer.
Charging
› For vehicles with START-STOP system or auxiliary heating, connect the +ve
terminal of the charger on the +ve pole of the battery, the -ve terminal of the
charger to the earth point of the engine » page 301."
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:30 pm

You should NEVER connect the -ive terminal of a charger and especially if jump starting the car to the -ve terminal of the battery. ALWAYS connect the -ve cable to any unpainted metal part of the car that is bolted to the bodywork
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:19 pm

I know we all have different experiences of driving and for me flat batteries are one of them. I have never had a flat battery in my entire 37 year driving career. Punctures yes, I have had a zillion punctures and I'm amazed when people tell me, as they do, that they have never had a puncture. Funny old world!

The longest I have owned a car is 11 years, from new, and never did the battery go flat. I sold it still with the original battery.

My wife did once have a flat battery, but it was immediately after buying a 16 year old car with the original battery still in it (I know this for sure as the previous single owner was a relative) so it wasn't really flat, it was broken. We didn't charge it because it would not hold charge, we just replaced it and the replacement never went flat in the 4 or so years we owned the car.

I'm surprised that people are finding their batteries are going flat due to relatively short periods of no use. A few weeks is like going on a fortnights holiday. I remember going on holiday for three weeks and the battery was perfectly fine on our return. We have two cars and during this lockdown period we are alternating their use. We have been in lockdown for a month as we started working from home long before the official lockdown started. Once a week we go shopping, alternating the cars so each car is used once a fortnight. No problems so far. The Kodiaq is next up, in a weeks time. It has been lying idle for a week. I'm not expecting any problems starting it after a fortnight of doing nothing. I am worried about punctures. I'm way more likely to get a puncture on the way to the supermarket (two miles away) than I am likely to get a flat battery.

In these times of isolation and quarantine a proper spare wheel is essential. It must be very difficult to practice social distancing in a breakdown trucks cab. Of course the same could be said for having a spare battery...and always travel in convoy so you have a backup vehicle with you...
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

squeakybadger

Post by squeakybadger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Clipped it to the +ve and the exposed metal clip bit that was attached to the car and all seems to be working well.

This trickle charger says 46 hours to do a full charge with a 70ah battery, but I'm not exactly in a rush!

Is there any way to check the battery level? I've seen you can do it on the Octavia MaxiDot, but it isn't an option on the Kodiaq (or in the infotainment system that I have found).

Cheers.