Engine oil level low warning light

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
J-R

Re: Engine oil level low warning light

Post by J-R » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Basherdrummer wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm
I’ll be honest and say I didn’t check it as I simply didn't expect a brand new car to use any oil - and certainly not to that extent.
My 2019 Skoda is 11 months old with about 24,000 km / 15,000 mi on the odometer. It was serviced by a Skoda garage at 15,000 km, four months ago (in late August). The low oil warning light lit up this week, first time ever. It did not happen in the first 7 months I owned the car, until the first service.

I've only ever owned Japanese cars for the past 30 years, and I've never seen this light before! Like Basherdrummer, I am very surprised that a new car would need oil! I poured in half a liter of oil a couple days ago and the light has remained off since.

Might this indicate a problem / leak somewhere?

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21 pm

J-R wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Basherdrummer wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm
I’ll be honest and say I didn’t check it as I simply didn't expect a brand new car to use any oil - and certainly not to that extent.
My 2019 Skoda is 11 months old with about 24,000 km / 15,000 mi on the odometer. It was serviced by a Skoda garage at 15,000 km, four months ago (in late August). The low oil warning light lit up this week, first time ever. It did not happen in the first 7 months I owned the car, until the first service.

I've only ever owned Japanese cars for the past 30 years, and I've never seen this light before! Like Basherdrummer, I am very surprised that a new car would need oil! I poured in half a liter of oil a couple days ago and the light has remained off since.

Might this indicate a problem / leak somewhere?

JR
Was the oil level correct after the service 4 months ago, and has it been correct each time you have checked it since?
If so a sudden loss of oil is concerning, but if you haven’t checked the oil level it could just been down to sloppy service and not filled to the correct level.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

J-R

Post by J-R » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Kenny R wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21 pm
Was the oil level correct after the service 4 months ago, and has it been correct each time you have checked it since?
If so a sudden loss of oil is concerning, but if you haven’t checked the oil level it could just been down to sloppy service and not filled to the correct level.
I have not checked the oil level since the last service, so I have no way of knowing how much it was filled at the service, but if it were low, it would have been indicating low since then, no? So, if all of a sudden 4 months later, does that indicate a problem/leak?

(I know you guys suggest checking oil frequently, but I've never bothered doing it until my cars are a few years old - both because I've never had a new car lose oil and because these new cars alert you anyway if the oil goes low.)

Thanks,
JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:13 pm

J-R wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:26 pm
Kenny R wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21 pm
I have not checked the oil level since the last service, so I have no way of knowing how much it was filled at the service, but if it were low, it would have been indicating low since then, no? So, if all of a sudden 4 months later, does that indicate a problem/leak?

(I know you guys suggest checking oil frequently, but I've never bothered doing it until my cars are a few years old - both because I've never had a new car lose oil and because these new cars alert you anyway if the oil goes low.)

Thanks,
JR
So in 9,000 Kms and 4 months you haven't checked the dipstick? How about all the other things that my dear old dad taught me to check REGULARLY. Tyre pressures, lights, washer fluid, brake fluid etc. etc. Simple checks that will reveal any potential problem well before your dash lights up like Blackpool! Is everyone becoming totally reliant upon vehicle technology and ignoring a sensible approach to vehicle maintenance that takes only a few minutes each week? It occurs to me that there may be people who spend a great deal of their hard earned cash on a car, then spend hours polishing and valeting their car, but who begrudge minutes spent on routine maintenance.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”