Coolant

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
John Cornish

Re: Coolant

Post by John Cornish » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks for the feedback.
Have now spoken to Skoda dealer that sold me the car and intend to photo the level later today during lunch hour, if there is still some coolant in the expansion tank then I will just top up with antifreeze as instructed by them.
If no coolant in the expansion tank then slightly more concerning and Skoda will have to deal with it, the temperature gauge shows the car is running at normal temp after warming up and maintaining constant temp so don't think there is likely to be an overheating issue that would damage the engine, suspect it is more likely to be the colder conditions recently, or even the sensor.

John Cornish

Post by John Cornish » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:51 am

Thanks for the feedback.
Have now spoken to Skoda dealer that sold me the car and intend to photo the level later today during lunch hour, if there is still some coolant in the expansion tank then I will just top up with antifreeze as instructed by them.
If no coolant in the expansion tank then slightly more concerning and Skoda will have to deal with it, the temperature gauge shows the car is running at normal temp after warming up and maintaining constant temp so don't think there is likely to be an overheating issue that would damage the engine, suspect it is more likely to be the colder conditions recently, or even the sensor.

Legomann

Post by Legomann » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:32 pm

My 190 diesel has done 8k in 9 months since new and the coolant light came on this morning. Checked the coolant level and it’s below the min line. Never experienced this on a new car before. Quite disappointing.

Also got an issue with the electric windows and window wipers screeching plus the phone charging pad has been hit and miss since the start.

Love the car though.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:45 pm

Legomann wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:32 pm
My 190 diesel has done 8k in 9 months since new and the coolant light came on this morning. Checked the coolant level and it’s below the min line. Never experienced this on a new car before. Quite disappointing.

Also got an issue with the electric windows and window wipers screeching plus the phone charging pad has been hit and miss since the start.

Love the car though.
My 190 diesel did the same at the same mileage (although I caught it before it dropped far enough to trigger a warning light). I topped it up, and the dealer pressure tested it at the next service, and it's been fine ever since (now about to hit 30k miles and not used any more coolant).

It's probably worth you checking your oil level too - not a bad habit to be in, and I remember I needed to top ours up a couple of thousand miles ago, roughly half way between services (9k miles away at the time).
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Legomann

Post by Legomann » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 am

Worryingly - I drove it later in the day and the warning indicator has gone off despite the level being below the min level. Thanks for your advice. I’ve got some
Coolant coming this morning. Which oil do you use?

Maintenance free is one of the attractions to a new car for me. :roll:

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:46 am

Legomann wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 am
Worryingly - I drove it later in the day and the warning indicator has gone off despite the level being below the min level. Thanks for your advice. I’ve got some
Coolant coming this morning. Which oil do you use?

Maintenance free is one of the attractions to a new car for me. :roll:
Presumably you don't check the tyre pressures occasionally, or top up the windscreen washer reservoir, since you want "maintenance free" motoring?
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

J-R

Post by J-R » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Legomann wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:32 pm
the phone charging pad has been hit and miss since the start.
Is your phone in a protective case? That might be interfering. My Samsung S7 charges consistently with no problem in the charging "box" - it gets very hot during charging, but searching online informed me that this is normal. Good luck.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

J-R

Post by J-R » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:24 am

Leemo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:18 pm
So this morning my coolant warning light comes on. Checked and coolant level is low. Just gone past the 8,000 mile mark. I have had several new cars before and never needed to add coolant before at such and early stage. In fact, I think the only previous car I have ever had to add coolant has been my yeti, but that was at about 34,000 miles. Should I be concerned about this. 2.0 TDI engine.
Wanted to share with the forum that I just had this exact same experience, same engine, similar mileage (MY2019). I took it to a local garage who topped it up with coolant for me, but he said (like others mentioned in this thread) that in a new car, a loss like this is not typical. He said it could indicate a leak. I will certainly mention it to my dealer when I go in for the first scheduled service (coming up soon), but the fact that no one in this old thread has mentioned that this indicator did, in fact, indicate a leak in the system, I'm not that worried about it.

In any case, like others here mentioned, I've never had this happen with any car I've ever owned before (they were all Japanese), so it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in Skoda.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

J-R

Post by J-R » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:44 am

Update: My Kodiaq's first scheduled service (at 15,000 km) was yesterday. I told them about the coolant warning that came up last month and that I had to top up the coolant level - on a brand new car. I asked them if this might indicate a leak in the system. The mechanic told me probably not, that the new rubber tubing expands a bit during the first few months and that this is normal. In any case, they tested the system and found no leak.

Interestingly, while in the waiting room there, another Kodiaq owner (2018 model) told me he also had the same problem. Both of us are first-time Skoda buyers after many years of owning Japanese cars and we agreed that we were spoiled in that we never had a problems with our Japanese cars for the first few years, whereas the Skodas are not as reliable. Having said that, we also agreed that the Kodiaq is a great car and more comfortable than our previous cars!

JR

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”