Flat battery and Electronic Parking Brake

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Old and Grumpy

Re: Flat battery and Electronic Parking Brake

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am

Silverbear wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:44 am
I know my limitations and I'm a person of routine. I've learnt that if I deviate from routine I make mistakes. Parking cars in different ways would result in accidents for me. I have surprised myself with the ease I swap between my automatic and my wife's manual. I think it is because the cars are significantly different in a host of ways and I drive them for very different reasons. The one thing that sometimes catches me out is my wife's traditional handbrake which I occasionally forget to engage, now being so used to it happening automatically. I did almost roll into the car in front once but realised just in time.
I appreciate your concerns, I too am a creature of habit, (much to SWMBO's frustration), but I have surprised myself by adapting to her car, (Skoda Rapid), with no difficulty. I think the great difference in ride height probably helps me to remember the lack of Autohold, Auto lights and EPB etc.

My routine each morning is;
  • Get in the driving seat
    Pull on the EPB
    Gear lever into Neutral
    Clutch down
    Start engine
    Engage Autohold
    Drive off
Back home;
  • Drive onto drive
    Hold car on foot brake
    Cancel Autohold
    Stop engine
    Gear lever into First or Reverse
    Clutch up
    Release foot brake
It's just habit now whenever I'm at home or on an overnight stay on a level car park, and all because the Yogi's rear brake pads stick to the discs more readily than any other cars I have driven, (as you have noticed too!).

Isn't technology wonderful!

😡🚘
Last edited by Old and Grumpy on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am
Silverbear wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:44 am
I know my limitations and I'm a person of routine. I've learnt that if I deviate from routine I make mistakes. Parking cars in different ways would result in accidents for me. I have surprised myself with the ease I swap between my automatic and my wife's manual. I think it is because the cars are significantly different in a host of ways and I drive them for very different reasons. The one thing that sometimes catches me out is my wife's traditional handbrake which I occasionally forget to engage, now being so used to it happening automatically. I did almost roll into the car in front once but realised just in time.
I appreciate your concerns, I too am a creature of habit,(much to SWMBO's frustration), but I have surprised myself by adapting to her car, (Skoda Rapid), with no difficulty. I think the great difference in ride height probably helps me to remember the lack of Autohold, Auto lights and EPB etc.

My routine each morning is;
  • Get in the driving seat
    Pull on the EPB
    Gear lever into Neutral
    Clutch down
    Start engine
    Engage Autohold
    Drive off
Back home;
  • Drive onto drive
    Hold car on foot brake
    Cancel Autohold
    Stop engine
    Gear lever into First or Reverse
    Clutch up
    Release foot brake
It's just habit now whenever I'm at home or on an overnight stay on a level car park, and all because the Yogi's rear brake pads stick to the discs more readily than any other cars I have driven, (as you have noticed too!).

Isn't technology wonderful!

😡🚘

Does your wife know the hand brake routine?
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:34 am

Silverbear wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 am

In the 15 months I've had Yogi, and the 5 years I had the previous Superb, she has never sat in either driving seat, claiming that both cars are "too big for her" despite she being the person who chose to buy them!

I just do not understand women!, but then do any of us mere males? 🤔
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:34 am
Silverbear wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 am

In the 15 months I've had Yogi, and the 5 years I had the previous Superb, she has never sat in either driving seat, claiming that both cars are "too big for her" despite she being the person who chose to buy them!

I just do not understand women!, but then do any of us mere males? 🤔
I have exactly the same issue!
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

old man

Post by old man » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 am

I've thought in recent times about buying one of those small jump starters that can virtually fit in your pocket. This thread sort of makes a case for having one handy.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:19 pm

old man wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 am
I've thought in recent times about buying one of those small jump starters that can virtually fit in your pocket. This thread sort of makes a case for having one handy.
I bought an AA branded Smart Charger because SWMBO's Rapid constantly flashed up "Low Battery please charge by running engine" for the two and a half years from purchase when only three months old. Despite some quite long journeys the message kept appearing. After charging with the AA charger for 48 hours the message has never reappeared, AND the Start/Stop cuts in far more often. For an expenditure of around £35 it has proved it's worth! One reassured SWMBO. 😁

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”