'E' gearbox mode resets to 'D' on restart

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
bother

Re: 'E' gearbox mode resets to 'D' on restart

Post by bother » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:30 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:35 pm
My understand (which maybe wrong) is the the vehicle mode and the gearbox mode work independently so when the car restarts the gearbox returns to normal mode but the car remains in the mode it was last driven it. The vehicle mode changes the gearbox settings as well as others such as lighting and suspension and wheel resistance. The infotainment system shows the car mode and the display on the cluster shows the gearbox mode. Therefore they don’t always tally.
This is correct, but when the only way to get the gearbox into 'E' mode is to choose 'Drive Select ECO' mode and the when you subsequently restart the car, it's still in 'Drive Select ECO' mode, yet the gearbox has returned to 'N' mode, it seems a bit odd...

From a UI perspective they should either hard link 'ECO' and 'E', or provide a separate way to get the gearbox into 'E' mode, such as there is with 'S' and manual (+/-) modes.
Edition 1.4DSG, Front Sensors, Spacesaver

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:44 pm

bother wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:30 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:35 pm
My understand (which maybe wrong) is the the vehicle mode and the gearbox mode work independently so when the car restarts the gearbox returns to normal mode but the car remains in the mode it was last driven it. The vehicle mode changes the gearbox settings as well as others such as lighting and suspension and wheel resistance. The infotainment system shows the car mode and the display on the cluster shows the gearbox mode. Therefore they don’t always tally.
This is correct, but when the only way to get the gearbox into 'E' mode is to choose 'Drive Select ECO' mode and the when you subsequently restart the car, it's still in 'Drive Select ECO' mode, yet the gearbox has returned to 'N' mode, it seems a bit odd...

From a UI perspective they should either hard link 'ECO' and 'E', or provide a separate way to get the gearbox into 'E' mode, such as there is with 'S' and manual (+/-) modes.
A fair point, I never use Eco as it doesn’t seem to save me any money and I hate the lack of engine breaking, but that’s another story.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

wilddog

Post by wilddog » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:12 am

I own a 2018 Golf R and the behaviour is exactly the same. Oddly enough, it is only the gearbox settings that reset. Engine fuelling, steering, aircon, stop/start are all still in Eco mode - the only item which is not is the DSG gearbox. Has to be a bug. I had a mk7 R before and this was not the case in that car, so this is only in the new one - it is the DSG wet 7 speed for reference.

For this car, on the highway, the savings are very significant. Around 20% over a long journey and when in medium traffic it just makes for easier driving.

To answer another question on downhill engine-braking. It will remain in 'coast' or 'sailing' mode until you touch the brake. Just the smallest tap is sufficient and the coast mode will disengage and will not re-engage until the throttle is pressed and released again.

Another note, that 'coast' will not engage at all if the car is travelling over 120kph

Vaclav^2

Post by Vaclav^2 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:21 am

wilddog wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:12 am
I own a 2018 Golf R and the behaviour is exactly the same. Oddly enough, it is only the gearbox settings that reset. Engine fuelling, steering, aircon, stop/start are all still in Eco mode - the only item which is not is the DSG gearbox. Has to be a bug. I had a mk7 R before and this was not the case in that car, so this is only in the new one - it is the DSG wet 7 speed for reference.

For this car, on the highway, the savings are very significant. Around 20% over a long journey and when in medium traffic it just makes for easier driving.

To answer another question on downhill engine-braking. It will remain in 'coast' or 'sailing' mode until you touch the brake. Just the smallest tap is sufficient and the coast mode will disengage and will not re-engage until the throttle is pressed and released again.

Another note, that 'coast' will not engage at all if the car is travelling over 120kph
Actually my MK7 R does the same thing. When switching to Race mode the gearbox goes to S. When restarting the vehicle it is still in Race mode and the gearbox is in D.

Using Eco on a R will mean VW will come to take it away :p

Seriously though I’ve tried eco a few times and works exactly the same. Upon restart it is no longer in E mode.

All Mercedes I’ve had do exactly the same thing, but with a slight twist. When our AMG has done what it was made to do in Super Sport Plus mode aka fast and very loud :) :) and leave it for the day then the next time is is in normal mode. But if you restart within an hour or so it remains in the selected mode.

My theory is that this is a safety precaution linked to the possibility of another driver entering the car and not being presented with a weird mode or perhaps better put a mode that isn’t the norm.

Just think about it, if you enabled the coasting but weren’t aware that you did and you don’t get engine breaking that would a WTF moment with possibly some brown pants. Or at the other end like in our AMG when you just breathe on the throttle you get launched into outer space.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:30 am

As a tip, I discovered a much quicker way of putting the gearbox back into E when you restart.

Assuming it was in Eco mode when you switched off, tapping the “Off-road” button twice, to put it in off-road mode and then back out again, has the effect of putting the gearbox back into E mode.

It’s much quicker and easier than waiting for the infotainment screen to wake up and fumbling with that when you’d rather be driving.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

bother

Post by bother » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:41 am

MrTrilby wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:30 am
As a tip, I discovered a much quicker way of putting the gearbox back into E when you restart.

Assuming it was in Eco mode when you switched off, tapping the “Off-road” button twice, to put it in off-road mode and then back out again, has the effect of putting the gearbox back into E mode.
I haven't got an "Off-road" button 😕

SoftSand

Post by SoftSand » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:30 am

MrTrilby wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:30 am

It’s much quicker and easier than waiting for the infotainment screen to wake up and fumbling with that when you’d rather be driving.
Ah, that’s excellent. Thanks.
MY18 Kodiak 132TSI DSG 7 seater Tech/Luxury - Candy White/Black Ventilated Leather with almost every option and gadget, even the sleep package but no sunroof… (Delivered Jan 2018)

Sharms

Post by Sharms » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:19 am

Hi,

Not read this thread for a while, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

I use ECO all the time as I'm on the motorway a lot and what I have done to limit some faf is to set up the INDV setting to mimic ECO so I just switch between the two on start up. Not the greatest solution but one that works for me and has now become a habit

Cheers
Ordered 05/10/17 - Received 12/12/17 (nine weeks, five days)
SE L 150 TDi DSG seven seat, pano roof, ambo lights, rear camera, canton sound, black interior, Quartz Grey

bother

Post by bother » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:24 am

Sharms wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:19 am
Hi,

Not read this thread for a while, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

I use ECO all the time as I'm on the motorway a lot and what I have done to limit some faf is to set up the INDV setting to mimic ECO so I just switch between the two on start up. Not the greatest solution but one that works for me and has now become a habit

Cheers
Sharms, what's the difference between that and just tapping ECO mode again (in the Drive Select menu) on start up in order to get it back into 'E' DSG mode?

Sharms

Post by Sharms » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi bother

I seem to remember having to select another option before going back to Eco, so I thought I would create an option.

However, since writing my original post I have experimented further on my long commutes and have found that I only loose two mile to the gallon if I stay on normal setting. Therefore I'm inclined to agree with others that Eco may not be worth bothering with.
Ordered 05/10/17 - Received 12/12/17 (nine weeks, five days)
SE L 150 TDi DSG seven seat, pano roof, ambo lights, rear camera, canton sound, black interior, Quartz Grey

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”