Diesel vs Petrol with a twist

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Skodiaqordered

Diesel vs Petrol with a twist

Post by Skodiaqordered » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Just ordered a Kodiaq with the 150hp 2L diesel but wondering whether i should switch to petrol
1. Where i live the petrol is 700€ more expensive (are they dumping the diesels?)
2. Anti diesel regulation has yet to gain momentum.
Much of the driving is suburbs to city with weekend longer range (but not really long) strays
Whats the deal with "out of the city cleaning drives"?
Thanks for your thoughts
Ordered TDI 150 2X4 Style silver. Israel (spec is varies with markets but Israels Style is loaded)

bigboss

Re: Diesel vs Petrol with a twist

Post by bigboss » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:56 am

How many miles are you going to drive per year? Which country are you based in?

Petrol is more suited for shorter runs than diesel. The DPF tends to get clogged if you don't take the diesel car on long drives regularly.
Kodiaq SE L, 1.4 TSI 150 PS DSG, Magnetic Brown metallic, beige leather, 19" Triglav, towbar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Heated leather MFSW, Adaptive cruise control, Front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera. Škoda ID: 98705067

Skodiaqordered

Post by Skodiaqordered » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Drive 15k to 17k miles/y. Weekend 70 to 100 miles drives usual. In Israel.
Ordered TDI 150 2X4 Style silver. Israel (spec is varies with markets but Israels Style is loaded)

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Skodiaqordered wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:49 pm
Drive 15k to 17k miles/y. Weekend 70 to 100 miles drives usual. In Israel.
The diesel sounds like the correct choice in the "traditional" sense. Depreciation would be my only consideration. The demonisation of diesel may kill any future value of it. That won't matter to you if you're financing with PCP, and you might not care if you're buying the car outright and planning on keeping it for a long time.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

hirshwoman

Post by hirshwoman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I'm in the same boat. Just ordered a 2.0L TDI w 190bhp. I will not be doing lots of long drives - only once in a while. Is the 1.4L TSI strong enough for good acceleration? Are repairs on the diesel more expensive?
For me, the outright cost of the car is not an issue as the car is a gift. What's important to me is to keep the running costs down - repairs, fuel costs. Any advice?

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Is the 1.4L TSI strong enough for good acceleration?
[/quote]

I have driven a 1.4TSI 125hp 2WD 5 seater Kodiaq for the last six months, mostly with 2 on board. Plenty of power and acceleration for me, but I am not a "racy" driver, more interested in safety and comfort than speed.
David, a proud Tyke wasting his time trying to educate southerners.
Kodiaq 1.4TSI SE 2WD, Petrol blue, no extra toys. Melton Mowbray.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Also £180 insurance, £140 VED, 46mpg overall. To me that's cheap motoring.
David, a proud Tyke wasting his time trying to educate southerners.
Kodiaq 1.4TSI SE 2WD, Petrol blue, no extra toys. Melton Mowbray.

Vaclav^2

Post by Vaclav^2 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:16 am

To the OP, why not the 190 TDI? Whilst the 150 TDI was ok when you don't ask much from it and just slowly drive around like its your day off, things get different in my opinion when you are in hilly terrain or ask it to wake up and push on a little. And having the extra oomph I would definitely appreciate on some of the roads where you are to safely overtake the very slow drivers.

Regarding the 1.4, to me it made me feel like Fred Flintstone and wanting to get my feet out and push it along a little. I'm sure it is fine for some, too me it is way underpowered. I find the 190Hp versions only just ok for the size/weight car it is. But we all have different experiences, references and perceptions. So best try it for yourself.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Vaclav^2 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:16 am
To the OP, why not the 190 TDI? Whilst the 150 TDI was ok when you don't ask much from it and just slowly drive around like its your day off, things get different in my opinion when you are in hilly terrain or ask it to wake up and push on a little. And having the extra oomph I would definitely appreciate on some of the roads where you are to safely overtake the very slow drivers.

Regarding the 1.4, to me it made me feel like Fred Flintstone and wanting to get my feet out and push it along a little. I'm sure it is fine for some, too me it is way underpowered. I find the 190Hp versions only just ok for the size/weight car it is. But we all have different experiences, references and perceptions. So best try it for yourself.
I have previously said the same about the 1.4 petrol engine but consensus of opinion suggested I was wrong, but for the type of driving and mileage I do then the Diesel engine suits me the best, even though it’s the smaller bhp version.

I think you are correct, you need to test drive both but I would add to that it’s best to test drive them on the routes you will normally drive and not ones the dealer prefers you to take. The dealer we used allowed us to test drive for a day at a time which I appreciated although post sales and delivery they were a nightmare. It was all bout getting the sale.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

Vaclav^2

Post by Vaclav^2 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:37 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 pm
Vaclav^2 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:16 am

I have previously said the same about the 1.4 petrol engine but consensus of opinion suggested I was wrong, but for the type of driving and mileage I do then the Diesel engine suits me the best, even though it’s the smaller bhp version.

I think you are correct, you need to test drive both but I would add to that it’s best to test drive them on the routes you will normally drive and not ones the dealer prefers you to take. The dealer we used allowed us to test drive for a day at a time which I appreciated although post sales and delivery they were a nightmare. It was all bout getting the sale.
Totally agree, that is why I made such a big deal about it driving them where I live for an extended period of time. I know how a wide variety of vehicle handle and it is easy to compare like for like.

And no you are not wrong in my opinion regarding the small engines. They’ve got one advantage though, they are always at the front of the queue :)

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”