4x4 on demand TOD?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
paul243

4x4 on demand TOD?

Post by paul243 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi,
I am considering changing my Kia Sorento XS for a Kodiaq 4x4 petrol Edition.

The Sorento is known to issues with the "Torque on Demand" (TOD) system where power is supplied to the front wheels when the rear wheels are detected to be slipping,ie. moving faster than the fronts, Unfortunately Kia messed up the management of the system resulting in a large number of owners (including me!) experiencing severe drivetrain problems, .Even a 2-3mm difference in tyre wear front to back made the car almost impossible to drive.
To overcome this I fitted sophisticated switch to overide the system allowing me to choose from TOD, RWD only or 4WD.
My query is, am I going to experience the same problem with the Kodiaq? Is it the same system?
If so, It's a deal breaker and I'll look elsewhere.
Many thanks for getting this far!
Paul

Jon Edwards

Re: 4x4 on demand TOD?

Post by Jon Edwards » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Kia uses the Dynamax AWD system and the Kodiaq used the 5th (latest) generation Haldex AWD system as do many SUVs, even the early models of the Range Rover Evoque used Haldex.

Not sure the pro’s and con’s of each system but Haldex seem to have a good reputation. I have not seen any uneven wearinntyres however I think someone commented of suffering from this on their Kodiaq but was in the process of getting all the wheels aligned.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

paul243

Post by paul243 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Any uneven tyre wear front to back was the cause of the the drive train "judder", it was necessary to rotate the tyres to ensure the newer tyres were on the rear,but I still had problems until I fitted the switch to run in RWD unless off road.
Would be interested to hear of any similar problems with the Kodiaq, although it's early days

Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:47 am

Jon Edwards wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 pm
Not sure the pro’s and con’s of each system but Haldex seem to have a good reputation. I have not seen any uneven wearinntyres however I think someone commented of suffering from this on their Kodiaq but was in the process of getting all the wheels aligned.
Might have been me. Dealer reckons they're the same wear but sounds like BS to me - I'm not blind. Will get them aligned if the wear gets worse.
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”