Overheating Problems - 190 tdi

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
H2UBS

Overheating Problems - 190 tdi

Post by H2UBS » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:16 am

I have an overheating problem with my 2017 Kodiaq 190 2.0tdi.

Usually occurs within 10 mins of cold start. Water temperature gauge will go to it's usual 90* then shoot up into the red and 130*. This leads to 'Red' warning and 'beep' saying Engine overheating and power is reduced. Obviously I pull over at earliest opportunity and switch off. Oddly the oil temperature can at this stage indicate around 85* and rising. On opening bonnet, engine doesn't seem overly hot and water in expansion tank is cool.
Upon restart the water temp gauge usually returns quickly to 90*, and no further problems for the rest of the journey. Occasionally the overheating indicator has happened 2 or 3 times on the initial journey but always reverts when engine is fully warmed up into the journey.
No fault codes have been registered to assist with diagnostics.
I have found one reference to a similar problem from Pink72 sorted out on warranty who mentions a diaphragm failure on the water pump being of old design. I am failing to find any further references to this issue on the interweb but this is probably my lack of research abilities.
Any further information on this or similar issues mutely appreaciated.
2.0 tdi SE L 4x4 190 DSG, 5 Seats, Business Grey, dark Alcantara, Triglavs, tow bar. Sept 2017

Old and Grumpy

Re: Overheating Problems - 190 tdi

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:26 am

Have you asked Skoda UK technical support? That would be my first action.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 93kW, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, North West Leicestershire. :D

H2UBS

Post by H2UBS » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:49 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:26 am
I would if it existed... lol !

I have been to my local dealer, who has looked at it. No fault codes have been logged and problem didn't present itself at the time, so they didn't help other than advise on monitoring and logging the occurrences for a follow up visit and full diagnostics shortly.

The purpose of this post is to try and glean as much information as possible from fellow owners who may have experience or knowledge of the problem that I can arm myself with to do battle with my local dealer. ( Though they're normally very good ).
2.0 tdi SE L 4x4 190 DSG, 5 Seats, Business Grey, dark Alcantara, Triglavs, tow bar. Sept 2017

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:18 pm

H2UBS wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:49 am
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:26 am
I would if it existed... lol !

I have been to my local dealer, who has looked at it. No fault codes have been logged and problem didn't present itself at the time, so they didn't help other than advise on monitoring and logging the occurrences for a follow up visit and full diagnostics shortly.

The purpose of this post is to try and glean as much information as possible from fellow owners who may have experience or knowledge of the problem that I can arm myself with to do battle with my local dealer. ( Though they're normally very good ).
I have spoken to Skoda UK’s engineers in the past for technical support rather than a dealership, I got to them via Skoda Ensurance. It maybe worth calling them assuming you are registered with them.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Pink72

Post by Pink72 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:35 pm

My 2017 190tdi had this issue over the summer. The water pump was at fault and replaced under warranty. My car was fitted with the old style water pump with a known issue. VW updated the pump at around this time but the old version was on my car. Now fitted with the revised pump and working fine. It does need the cam belt taken off . Depending on mileage this raises further questions on whether the old belt goes back on and a need to confirm if they replace the tensioner.

Whilst waiting for recovery I managed to find an article online. I could not find it again however I mentioned it to the recovery technician who confirmed the issues and said it was likely with the age the old type pump was present. I also confirmed with the Skoda garage and they said the latest pump was now installed.

A design flaw in the pump could cause the pump diaphragm not to open and stick closed. I believe the redesigned part stops that happening,
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

H2UBS

Post by H2UBS » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:33 pm

Problem resolved
Local dealer ( Carrs Skoda ) diagnosed the fault as sticking sliding sleeve on the water pump.
Water pump replaced. As I'm a few months out of warranty I was pleased that Skoda offered a goodwill contribution of 70% off the replacement pump and 50% off the labour, without any quibble. I did insist that they replace the cam-belt rather than refit the old one .. which cost me £130 for the kit.
Total cost to me was £380 which I didn't mind too much being out of warranty and I do intend keeping the car for a good few years yet.