2nd Service, 12k Miles, rear disk Heavily Corroded

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
Ryan_j

2nd Service, 12k Miles, rear disk Heavily Corroded

Post by Ryan_j » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:39 am

So took my 2017 Kodiaq in for it's second annual service at the weekend and it was reported back that the rear disks were HEAVILY corroded whilst the pads were only 30% worn. Is this normal?

Not sure I'm overly happy about it when they want £350+ to replace. I Know from previous posts that brakes are not covered under warranty but I've not had any issues with other cars new and used.. Otherwise pretty happy with the car to date, just got blindsided by this really.

Andy65

Re: 2nd Service, 12k Miles, rear disk Heavily Corroded

Post by Andy65 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:03 pm

Had a minor repair on my 11/2017 Scout earlier this year and the discs and pads were checked "F and R pads OK" but "Rear Brake Discs Excessively Corroded possible warranty" and they were replaced early May under warranty.
Kodiaq Scout 2.0TDI 190ps 7 seat DSG Petrol Blue Standard Trim ordered 09/11/2017 delivered 29/11/2017
I live in South Manchester and the supplying dealer was Mitchell Skoda (near Chester)

Busker911

Post by Busker911 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Should be replaced under warranty.
Had mine done at about same mileage.
Replacements are fine at 25K in salty Scotland
150 SEL diesel manual awd 7seater business grey with spare.

Marinfullsuss

Post by Marinfullsuss » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Just picked my 2017 Kodiaq up from Skoda dealer where they replaced Moll battery under warranty. They also spotted 80% wear plus corrosion on rear brake discs (after 21,000 miles). Need to get them replaced in January (just over £400). They suggested that in future I need to make sure the discs are hot after driving in rain to minimise corrosion (i.e. a bit of hard braking towards end of journey). Front were OK since they were replaced (under warranty) when car was one year old.
SE Technology, 5 seats, 150 TDi, manual, 4WD, candy white, towbar, adaptive cruise control, rear camera, Amundsen sat nav, front & rear parking sensors, space saver wheel

Damson2GiN

Post by Damson2GiN » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:44 am

My 2017 Kodiaq went in for second service June 2019, the back discs badly scored, so the garage ordered replacements, said it was a fault, and changed them free of charge. The vehicle has just done 10500 miles, used mainly in summer for towing caravan, perhaps they changed the docs, because of the low mileage use.
The garage I use had a Special event, just before Christmas, I was thinking of maybe ordering a new one if good discounts? for next July, as the MOT is due. They only had showroom stock, but had none better than my current model, so probably stick with this, for the time being, brilliant vehicle.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Just goes to show what rubbish modern cars can be. In all my 75cars I have NEVER replaced either discs or in the past drums. Fancy telling you to heat the brakes up before you put it to bed, shouldn't be necessary. What a load of tosh!
I reckon they've had a load of substandard discs supplied.

Don't stand any cr*p from the dealers. If they refuse to treat as warranty claim, start making LOUD noises with SUK!
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Damson2GiN

Post by Damson2GiN » Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am

I have just taked my 2017 190 DSG, in for MOT & 3rd service, its milage is 10768, being the 3rd year i was under the impression it wasa due for the major service, but the main dealer says NO, next year.
Over the 3 years i have paid into the service plan, so assumed that the cost of the service would be covered buy what i paid into the plan, but NO again. Extras to the service plan, amounted to £225, so the full amount came to over £500, this includes the MOT. Next year at current prices the full service will be £800, so advised me to take out anther service plan, of which i havent made my mind up yet? Whether you pay into a service plan or pay at the time of service, the price will be the same, at this main dealer. So is it worth going to another garage to get the work done, maybe getting it done at half the price, Opinions Please. Thanks.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue May 19, 2020 6:03 pm

Damson2GiN wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am
I have just taked my 2017 190 DSG, in for MOT & 3rd service, its milage is 10768, being the 3rd year i was under the impression it wasa due for the major service, but the main dealer says NO, next year.
Over the 3 years i have paid into the service plan, so assumed that the cost of the service would be covered buy what i paid into the plan, but NO again. Extras to the service plan, amounted to £225, so the full amount came to over £500, this includes the MOT. Next year at current prices the full service will be £800, so advised me to take out anther service plan, of which i havent made my mind up yet? Whether you pay into a service plan or pay at the time of service, the price will be the same, at this main dealer. So is it worth going to another garage to get the work done, maybe getting it done at half the price, Opinions Please. Thanks.
In my book service plans are a waste of money. Mine is service every 20,000 miles (12 months) and last time it was done it cost around £120 (at the most), I have never paid the published price at a main dealer.

When I took out the new contract I looked at both a standard Skoda service contract and also one for tyres etc. No matter how I worked it out I could not make the figures work out in my favour. I realise that for some it maybe worthwhile but on relatively low mileage users I think they are bit of a con.

Also there is noting warranty/contractually that forces you to use a main dealer, as long as they use Skoda original parts and service to a similar standard (some independent garages are significantly better) then there is no problem shopping around. I have found that my local dealership is pretty comparable on prices to the independents so I use them purely as it saves any issues on handing back the car at the end of the contract.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Tue May 19, 2020 6:19 pm

I tend to keep to the dealer service while under warranty but have never had a service plan. After that I tend to go to independents and sometimes in less expensive parts of the country (I am in London) if I happen to be there or can combine a service with a trip I was making. A number of phones calls have started "I don't live near you but..". I even purchased my Kodiaq at a dealer hundreds of miles away because it happened to be convenient and saved me a lot of money.

I typically pay half the disk and pads dealer price at an independent garage hundreds of miles from London. I phone them a week or two before I know I will be in the area and book whichever car needs the work in with them and use that car for the trip.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.