Install extra reversing light

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
F.Lee

Install extra reversing light

Post by F.Lee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am

Hi!
Tried to search for this in the forum but couldnt find it. So I apologize if there is one already.
I have a model from -17 and want to install extra reversing lights.
asked the local skoda dealer here in sweden but they dont want to do it and im not that handy with electrics.
So my question is: Can I take the + lead from the reversing light and put the - to chassie or will this create a fault code? In my own logic thinking it shouldnt since its just feeds power and i guess no sensor on the way to the reversing light... but i might be way off.
Glad for all help i can get.
Cheers

//Felix

Kenny R

Re: Install extra reversing light

Post by Kenny R » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 am

Modern cars with control modules and can bus systems are way different from old school where you could do as you say and just tap into circuits.
If you just tap into the reverse light on your Kodiaq you will most likely fry the BCM and incur a large repair bill.
No doubt someone with knowledge could use a relay and a separate power supply to power an extra lamp.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:18 pm

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the opposing side is wired to a socket and all Skoda have done is not put a bulb in??? WHY???
Take the light unit out and see if there is an empty but wired socket lurking
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Mine has 2 but led no standard bulbs however does one side have fog light inside or do you have 2 because left hand drive and right hand drive have the reverse if only one on then opposite sides so you can purchase a left hand side unit and I’m guessing would be plug and play .

That’s if there’s no bulb holder or anyway of getting your missing one working without splicing into cables .
Error codes usually mess up systems the other way round when fitting led as the resistance is Less with LED if the system is used to 21w for the other side then will be fine with the load but may need coding to see it
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Return to “Faults & Technical”