kessy key got wet now the buttons don't work

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
Minimal

kessy key got wet now the buttons don't work

Post by Minimal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:55 am

My kessy key got soaked in fresh water (my suit flooded while diving) and now the buttons don't work. The touch-handle-to-enter/lock bit works fine as does starting the engine when the key is in the car.

I've been quoted £300 to replace the key. Given that it is all but dead, I'm happy to take it to pieces and try to fix it, but does anyone know which component(s) might be affected and whether I'd be able to replace them?

Unfortunately I only noticed the the buttons not working after about a week after the key got wet as I always used the touch entry thing, opening the key up, leaving it in a container of rice for a few days then replacing the battery doesn't seem to have fixed it.
UK. Diesel AWD DSG 190 Edition.

ChrisL

Re: kessy key got wet now the buttons don't work

Post by ChrisL » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:14 am

Personally I'd remove the battery, rinse it thoroughly in distilled water and then try the rice again.

No promises, but its often residue left behind when the first lot of water dries....
Petrol Blue 2.0TDi 190ps DSG 7 seat Edition with black leather, front/rear parking sensors, heated front windscreen/washer jets, ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, driver personalisation and rear view camera.

Minimal

Post by Minimal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:26 am

ChrisL wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:14 am
Personally I'd remove the battery, rinse it thoroughly in distilled water and then try the rice again.

No promises, but its often residue left behind when the first lot of water dries....
Just checking: did that work for you?

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:32 am

Or airing cupboard rather than rice. But leave it in bits in the airing cupboard as any water left in it might condense if closed up.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

old man

Post by old man » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am

Or a hair dryer whilst it's in bits.

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 pm

And a fresh battery
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

J-R

Post by J-R » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:57 am

If it remained wet and closed for a few days before disassembling/drying, it could very well be dead for good (sorry). Let us know if you manage to bring it back.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

Minimal

Post by Minimal » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:33 pm

It's been rinsed again and hairdryer'd. Now sat in a zip-loc bag with a bundle of silica crystals. Will leave it there a couple of days and report back.
thanks for the help

old man

Post by old man » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:58 am

Horse, door, bolted and all that, but you might want to get one of these, or similar, for the future. I use them when canoeing for phone and car keys.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquapac-Wate ... SwHVdcj3MV

Minimal

Post by Minimal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:03 am

old man wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:58 am
Horse, door, bolted and all that, but you might want to get one of these, or similar, for the future. I use them when canoeing for phone and car keys.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquapac-Wate ... SwHVdcj3MV
Thanks, I ended up with one of these, which is good down to 15m depth - have to take the key ring off to get everything to fit, but it is pretty robust.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BVRIG38/ ... 11_TE_item

Return to “Faults & Technical”