Full led headlights too low

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
ChristianScout190

Full led headlights too low

Post by ChristianScout190 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Am I correct in thinking that full led headlights fitted to the scout should have three positions.
Low for urban
Mid height for a and b roads
Fairly high for dual carriageway speeds.

At the minute when they come on they motor up and down then settle at an acceptable angle to give good light for town driving. That's all fine until I hit the open road when I struggle with enough light range for 60mph... About 3 to 4 car lengths. When entering back into town, they are lower than when I set off.

Went back to dealer yesterday for some software updates (softer boot closing and a few other bits) and they said no fault stored.

I guess the system is not happy and defaulting to the lowest setting, but surely this would store a fault?
Scout 190 TDI 4x4 DSG
Gaffer tape is like 'the force'... It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Colin Lambert

Re: Full led headlights too low

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:55 am

Sorry can't help with your particular problem. My LEDs are fine for 70mph, but I have to dip them manually. (at least, I haven't noticed them dipping automatically.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

duncanlowe

Post by duncanlowe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:15 pm

It will depend to some extent whether you have front light assistant. If you do, you select main beam, and it automatically dips them though in my experience not always. I've only ever noticed the two positions. On my Superb it did move the beams about but only noticeably when main beam was on. I haven't driven this enough with main beam on to notice.
Kodiaq 190 Edition 4x4 DSG 5 seat in a rather fetching shade of velvet red. From Stafford, England.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:43 pm

duncanlowe wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:15 pm
It will depend to some extent whether you have front light assistant. If you do, you select main beam, and it automatically dips them though in my experience not always. I've only ever noticed the two positions. On my Superb it did move the beams about but only noticeably when main beam was on. I haven't driven this enough with main beam on to notice.
I use the Light Assist automatic dipping thingy allot and to date it’s never failed, in fact compared to other systems I have used (Ford) it’s very good. The Ford system was a nightmare as was their lane assist.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Sportline on order with Virtual Cockpit.

ChristianScout190

Post by ChristianScout190 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi, I am not talking about the light assist which automatically changes from main beam to dipped headlights. This is all on dipped beams, headlight range is fine in town but appears to shorten when out of town and then stay short.
Scout 190 TDI 4x4 DSG
Gaffer tape is like 'the force'... It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:00 pm

I assume you have the lights set on Auto, according to the manual the LED lights only become fully adaptive when the lights are on auto. If manually turned onto dipped then they won’t change the light cone. So are you using AUTO, if you are then there is a problem as they will automatically go to the dipped position if there is a fault.

Here’s an Indian video to help.

ChristianScout190

Post by ChristianScout190 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:35 am

OK thanks
Scout 190 TDI 4x4 DSG

Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Here is nothing to do with AUTO on or Off. Crhristianscout is complaining about factory aiming. It's typical for skoda to aim the lights too low or too high...its the build quality question. But maybe its due to led which cutoff is pretty sharp and seems its to low. Mine are pretty ok ....but maybe just have to make quarter of turn to raise the beam...there are few knobs where you can adjust the headlight...I personally dont want to mess with this :)
Skoda Kodiaq 2.0TDI 190hp Elegance.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:38 pm

Fuzzz wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:36 pm
Here is nothing to do with AUTO on or Off. Crhristianscout is complaining about factory aiming. It's typical for skoda to aim the lights too low or too high...its the build quality question. But maybe its due to led which cutoff is pretty sharp and seems its to low. Mine are pretty ok ....but maybe just have to make quarter of turn to raise the beam...there are few knobs where you can adjust the headlight...I personally dont want to mess with this :)
Sorry for trying to help and trying to suggest possible issues and solutions.

Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:59 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:38 pm
Fuzzz wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:36 pm
Sorry for trying to help and trying to suggest possible issues and solutions.
Hey sorry Foxtrotalpha didn't want to hurt anybody...I just know what Christianscout wanted to say...at least I hope...
Skoda Kodiaq 2.0TDI 190hp Elegance.

Return to “Faults & Technical”