Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

SOS alarm

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Ninini 
#1 ·
I have a Kodiaq 2018 and I have SOS alarm every time I drive the car. It worked fine the two first month but then the problem started. My Skoda supplier have tried to find out what the problem are and last time this week they tried to update the software but the problem still exist.
Are there anyone who knows anything about this problem and what to do to solve it?

#2 ·
Oddly in my MY18 Kodiaq the SOS functions have always worked fine- at least I think so as the green light has been on and I've seen no error messages etc.

The dealership had the car in today because of a recall/software update. They say however that the update failed part way through now I don't have a green light and the car warns me when I turn the ignition on that it needs urgent attention in the workshop, and I now have an attractive amber warning light on all the time!

Go figure!!!!

#3 ·
I had my Kodiak in October and the SOS alarm started beeping with an audible message 'SOS Emergency Error call workshop' with the yellow warning triangle coming up on the dashboard the call button turns red. It has been into the dealer 3 times although it should've been more but I bought the car to do a job and what they loan me isn't up to the job. The audible alarm is very distracting, it makes you jump out of your skin.

The first time it went in the said that the dealer I purchased it from had not installed it correctly and they would have to charge the dealer I purchased it from to carry this out. 2 days later it started doing the same thing. Another visit to dealer this time they did a software update because of a recall again a couple of days later fault reappeared. A 3rd visit this time they told me there was a recall for a software update next day it started again. I am now waiting for the dealer to sort out with Skoda what they can do to try to rectify the fault. I did explain they had already done that but they insisted it was yet another.

The problem is worse when it is wet/misty (not good for someone who lives in Wales) and unfortunately only intermittent and needless to say it doesn't happen when it's in the dealership. I appreciate it's difficult to diagnose an intermittent fault especially when nothing is registered on the OBD download but it is annoying.

A friend of mine also had the same vehicle with the same fault the dealer had his vehicle for 6 weeks replaced a control unit and antenna and it does seem to have cured the problem. Time will tell.

#4 ·
Yet another instance of Skoda trying to run before they can walk! Unnecessary electronic cr@p that we really don't need. I think the manufacturers are just competing with each other to be top of the 'Aren't we clever' stakes. .
Floating instruments*, HUDs*, internet connections. front assist, electronic boot handles etc etc, all of which have given problems.
*Don't know about these two as thank G Skoda haven't got them YET!
What %age of people actually want or need them?

#5 ·
There is a Field Service Campaign for issues with the SOS system - a wiring loom in the steering column needs replacing.

Has your dealer done this?

#6 ·
ChrisL said:
Oddly in my MY18 Kodiaq the SOS functions have always worked fine- at least I think so as the green light has been on and I've seen no error messages etc.

The dealership had the car in today because of a recall/software update. They say however that the update failed part way through now I don't have a green light and the car warns me when I turn the ignition on that it needs urgent attention in the workshop, and I now have an attractive amber warning light on all the time!

Go figure!!!!
Name and shame and find a dealer who knows their arse from their elbow - no way should they have givem you the car back like this. I'd be logging a call with Skoda CS regarding such shoddy and potentially dangerous beahviour - a failed software update on a safety system!!!!

#7 ·
Well, the dealer is White Dove in Cardiff. To be fair to them their Sales staff were absolutely great during the purchase process.

Sadly the update was attempted during an appointment where I was sitting in the dealership waiting whilst it was done. They offered to try again there and then, but we'd already been sitting waiting for almost 2 hours and I didn't want to wait a further 90 minutes.

One thing which puzzled me was the fact that they said the update failed 45 minutes into the update process. Now I work in IT and over the years Ive upgraded the firmware in many bits of IT hardware. I assume this is a similar process and I can't for the life of me imagine what kind of update would take 45 minutes plus! Unless they had an engineer typing in many pages of hex codes manually lol.

They assured me that the only things affected by the update failing is the three SOS buttons. Is this correct? Beyond these three buttons is there a reason I shouldn't be driving the vehicle in the mean time?

#8 ·
Thank you all for your attention.
As an answer to you Andyvee:
No my service partner have not change the wiring loom in the steering column.
I will tell them to do so and hopefully this will help.

#9 ·
ChrisL said:
Well, the dealer is White Dove in Cardiff. To be fair to them their Sales staff were absolutely great during the purchase process.

Sadly the update was attempted during an appointment where I was sitting in the dealership waiting whilst it was done. They offered to try again there and then, but we'd already been sitting waiting for almost 2 hours and I didn't want to wait a further 90 minutes.

One thing which puzzled me was the fact that they said the update failed 45 minutes into the update process. Now I work in IT and over the years Ive upgraded the firmware in many bits of IT hardware. I assume this is a similar process and I can't for the life of me imagine what kind of update would take 45 minutes plus! Unless they had an engineer typing in many pages of hex codes manually lol.

They assured me that the only things affected by the update failing is the three SOS buttons. Is this correct? Beyond these three buttons is there a reason I shouldn't be driving the vehicle in the mean time?
Who knows what else is affected without knowing exactly what they were updating. It takes a long time to flash a module, think uploading over a serial connection basically. Updates usually fail because the file they downloaded was corrupt or some numpty turned the ignition off, battery voltage too low so module goes to sleep etc etc. Best practice is to hook up a battery charger whilst flashing modules.

TBH to do a software update whilst a customer waits is asking for trouble as if it fails they are unlikely to have a courtesy car to loan you at short notice.

#10 ·
This seems to happen in the same place as I drive to work - the light next to the button is red at home (get SOS message) then it goes green as I drive out of town and turns red again (get the message) as I go over the hill out of town. It goes green again before I get to work another few miles.

I was wondering if this is caused by the in-built SIM that uses the Vodafone network?
EE works best in the far north and Vodafone is very patchy. I have a PlusNet SIM in the Columbus unit which uses the EE network and that is pretty reliable.

#11 ·
I hope I have a solution now regarding SOS alarm.
My Skoda service replaced my GPS antenna and now it seems to have fixed the problem.

#12 ·
I hope I have a solution now regarding SOS alarm.
My Skoda service replaced my GPS antenna and now it seems to have fixed the problem.

#13 ·
Went to a service center this morning to have this issue checked out and picked up the car at lunch time. They say the issue had to do with an ECU in the steering wheel that the dealer had forgotten to activate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.