Rear traffic alert and blind spot monitoring switching off

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
FiXXXeR

Rear traffic alert and blind spot monitoring switching off

Post by FiXXXeR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:53 am

Bit of an odd one, I was wondering if anyone else had seen this behaviour:

Whenever I go from Park with my DSG transmission straight to Reverse, I get a warning saying that the above two systems are unavailable and they get switched off. I can turn them back on ok and the BSM seems to work ok (don't know how to test RTA).

But if I go from Park to Drive and then to Reverse, it's fine and no warnings or switching off of my driver assistance systems.

Any idea why this might be the case? I mean surely if it was a sensor fault then it would do it every time and BSM wouldn't ever work.
Moved from UK to Melbourne/Aus in Dec '17; Kodiaq owner since Dec '17.
132KW TSI, Lava Blue, anthracite Triglav 19' wheels, black interior.
Aussie Tech & Lux packs, plus pop-out towbar fitted.
Got the little Kodi teddy for our baby and she loves it!

Ravorangel

Re: Rear traffic alert and blind spot monitoring switching off

Post by Ravorangel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Not quite the same issue but my systems linked to the rear radar also seem to be playing up. When I go into the driver assist systems the side assist is disabled and get a error message when I try to switch them on just says they are unavailable.

When I go further into the driving systems it say that the blind spot monitoring and rear traffic alert are on but if I try to switch them off they say function unavailable as well.

I've had it briefly in a dealership while I'm away for xmas and they said that the diagnostic shows a load of faults with both so I'm assuming at this point my radar sensors are messed up. Which I'm rather unimpressed with from a car that was 4 days old when it started. So booked back in with my dealer to sort it out.

Might be worth taking yours in and get them to hook it up see what if any faults it kicks out only took them about 5mins to see all of them on mine.
Black Edition 150 TDI DSG. ACC. Heated windscreen Traffic assist. Driver alert. F+R parking sensors, Rear view Camera.
Order date 14/10/17 Build week 48
South England

FiXXXeR

Post by FiXXXeR » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Ravorangel wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 pm
Which I'm rather unimpressed with from a car that was 4 days old when it started. So booked back in with my dealer to sort it out.

Might be worth taking yours in and get them to hook it up see what if any faults it kicks out only took them about 5mins to see all of them on mine.
Mine has done this from the start.

This problem is common but intermittent, and annoyingly disappeared for a couple of days while and after they had it hooked up to enable Traffic Jam Assist for me.

Today for insurance, it was more random than what I had described above and didn't matter if I went from Drive first or Park into reverse.

Haven't been successful in enabling Trailer Assist at all yet either which is really annoying.
Moved from UK to Melbourne/Aus in Dec '17; Kodiaq owner since Dec '17.
132KW TSI, Lava Blue, anthracite Triglav 19' wheels, black interior.
Aussie Tech & Lux packs, plus pop-out towbar fitted.
Got the little Kodi teddy for our baby and she loves it!

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Is this weather/dirt on the car related. Have had similar things that sort themselves out after a carwash!! May need to retick some boxes in the relevant menus but thankfully nothing has been long term so far.
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 pm

Same issues plus lane assist being unavailable (deactivated) although it’s all turned on. Local Skoda dealer (Dumfries) has been monumentally useless and washed their hands of it as they don’t have the correct equipment to recalibrate the car.

I don’t recommend my dealer, Skoda post sales support (dealer, customer relations and Exec Office) and will never buy another Skoda as they clearly don’t care about loyal customers.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

OlivierW11

Post by OlivierW11 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Ditto... As Jon, my kodiaq Edition has been suffering from blind spot monitoring and rear assist deactivation. Dealer (Trans City, East London) has been unable to sort it out so far.

I am not impressed...
Next: Kodiaq Edition 1.4 TSI in Jungle Green (+pano/ambient/virtual pedal/Canton/Child pack/Heated Wheel w/ Shifters/etc.) Triglav to be repainted black soon... :roll:

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:23 pm

OlivierW11 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm
Ditto... As Jon, my kodiaq Edition has been suffering from blind spot monitoring and rear assist deactivation. Dealer (Trans City, East London) has been unable to sort it out so far.

I am not impressed...
It only turns itself off when reverse is engaged so the activation of the rear sensors seem to be the issue, a new warning has also appeared stating “rear traffic alert / blind spot monitor currently unavail”. I will wash the car this weekend (although it’s not filthy / caked in cr@p) and if it clears the faults as others have claimed in other posts (sensor impairment due to road film) then I will be discussing this with Skoda. If a moderate amount of dirt causes sensors to fail on a 4x4 SUV then it’s not fit for purpose and Skoda should cancel my contract, I know they won’t but it would make me happy if they did; sooner we part company the better.

Ravorangel

Post by Ravorangel » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Mine is in Monday for them to take a look my dealer has said they want the car for 4 days in case they need to strip down the rear bumper to get at the radar sensors.

According to the manual at least there should be a different error message if the sensor is covered by dirt etc than just the "Function unavailable"

Hopefully I'll have more joy with my dealership
Black Edition 150 TDI DSG. ACC. Heated windscreen Traffic assist. Driver alert. F+R parking sensors, Rear view Camera.
South England

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Ravorangel wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:12 pm
Mine is in Monday for them to take a look my dealer has said they want the car for 4 days in case they need to strip down the rear bumper to get at the radar sensors.

According to the manual at least there should be a different error message if the sensor is covered by dirt etc than just the "Function unavailable"

Hopefully I'll have more joy with my dealership
Please let me know how you get on.

Ravorangel

Post by Ravorangel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm

So spoke to my dealer today and its apparently a control unit that has failed, which is an easy fix. If memory serves someone else had the same issue as this and the same part failing.

So the good news for me at least is its an easy fix however the not so good news is that this is apparently a common problem that SKODA are aware of I.E they know these parts are failing.

However due to this there is a high demand for them and they are now in short supply so now waiting for a part that's on back order
South England

Return to “Faults & Technical”