Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Intermittent starting failure

19K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  exSantaFe 
#1 ·
3 weeks ago on a not-too-cold November morning I was setting off for a day's repping in Sheffield and the car wouldn't start.
Left it turning 7,8,9 times until pressing the start button to put it out of its misery.
Tried again. Same result.
Tried again. same result but with low battery warning, electronic parking brake inoperative warning and stop-start warning.

Called breakdown who came 2 hours later and mechanic pressed the button and hey presto. It started!

He topped the coolant fluid up as he said sometimes if that reads low due to contraction in the cold the engine may not start. Also checked the battery which was good in terms of voltage and accepting charge from the alternator. He plugged his laptop in and there was a glow-plug error which resulted in a garage check of the wiring between the plugs and the control module. He reckoned it would be the module that needed replacing but the system said the wiring should also be checked.

After a day and a half in the garage and a new module I collected it but wouldn't say it started any better (still took 3-4 turns).

Kept an eye on it in cold weather and started ok even at freezing but following week at 6 & 8 degrees had the same issue.

Going back into the dealer tomorrow.

Not sure that it is the plugs if it works when it is -4.5 which is what it was yesterday. Suspect it must be management of the plugs ie module not telling them to fire at 8 degrees when probably they should be?

Will see what happens and report back.

Anyone else had this issue and was it resolved?

See less See more
#2 ·
What was the temperature outside when you couldn't start it?
What brand of derv do you buy?
It really shouldn't happen these days but it may have been because wax had precipitated out of the derv , but re-reading your post if it wasn't that cold it should not have happened.
Not being a modern Derv user I can't comment any further.

#3 ·
Are you holding the Start button in or just pressing it briefly then releasing?

A few O3 owners had starting issues, but with the key, and they were holding the key in position 3 and forcing it to crank, whereas if you flick to position 3 and release the engine will not crank until the glow plugs are hot.

I believe (but may be wrong) that KESSY works the same - a brief press is the correct way to start the engine. If you hold the button in it will crank, but is unlikely to start as the glow plugs are not actually on when cranking, all the power is going to the starter.

#4 ·
My car took 3 attempts to start last week after 2 days parked up and temperature about - 4'C. On the first attempt it cranked about 20 times until I pressed the starter button again to stop it. On the second attempt the engine fired up quickly then cut out. On the third try it started normally. It's failed to start previously on about 4 occasions (over 21k miles with frequent stops and starts) but always fired at the second attempt. No fault codes showing when at the dealers for first service.

#5 ·
@ Colin
Can't remember the temp on 1st occasion but definitely above freezing.
I use supermarket fuel but definitely not cold enough for waxing.

@ andyvee
I just press the start button and release.
According to the Skoda technician who was on local recovery duty the glow plugs are working and fuel pump is pumping as you unlock the vehicle.

@ DaveAldi
Started ok at -4.5C on Monday and started ok all previous week apart from this Tuesday when I had literally travelled quarter mile then left it stood for half an hour when it took about 7 turns to start. That was the first time it had done it on second start-up but wasn't properly warmed up.

Dealer had it in 3 days and fortunately it happened to them whilst it was hooked up. Some testing equipment they had been sent specially showed the battery to be at fault so new one is on order which won't come until 28.12!! Can't believe there isn't a suitable battery in the country be it a Skoda branded one or shop bought to put me on. Anyway am taking my car back until it arrives and crossing my fingers.

#6 ·
Had similar issues on several occasions. Always started eventually but one one occasion it said battery was low please drive. Yesterday wouldn't start at all. All electrics went haywire. AA came out.m via skoda assist. Battery flat, only showing 11v which to AA man did not suggest battery drain by anything connected/left on. Car goes to local dealer (not my dealer). Just been told that there had been a recall on the car for a software fault that effected the battery. First I had heard of a recall. Anyway, they tell me software updated but battery fried as a result and new one getting fitted in the morning. I find it strange that there has been a recall on a software fault which customers have not been advised about!

#7 ·
It will be a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin), not a recall.

Basically, an advice notice - if a customer comes in with xxxx fault and chassis number is in range 111111-222222, check yyyyy and replace zzzzz if necessary. They are issued for known problems that are not safety related and may not be applicable to everyone, only specific software or hardware revisions or manufacturing date range.

Normally these kind of things get done at a service and you are none the wiser :)

#8 ·
I am having the same issues.
Car turns over several times but will not start turn over of engine progressively getting slower, try it again then flat battery.
Neighbour jump started me it fired up first turn.
Took it in for its first service and advised them as it happened the weekend before they said battery was fine, but be careful as i had iPhone cable plugged in and a sat nav cable (sat nav not in cradle tho)...surely the battery has the legs to cope with these?
Anyway last night it has happened again, turned over several times then died car shut down - got my son to jump start me it fired up first time.
Something is draining the battery on this for sure - maybe it needs this SW upgrade..? Garage can't see it for a week yet so its in next Friday.. :(

Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TDi 4x4 - 21,000 miles

#10 ·
I have also been experiencing starting issues with my 2.0 TDI 4x4. The problem first started over the Christmas holidays, it just seemed very slow to crank after been stood for two days. It got to the point where i had to start the car with the Auto lights disabled.
Being an ex mechanic I managed to check the battery and charging system prior to contacting the dealer. Under the load the battery was only displaying 338 amps ( 700 CCA battery ) and the alternator was charging around 14.8 volts.
The car was then booked in for the day and hooked up to their `diagnostic machine`. As suspected - no fault found and the car was returned to me.
I was told they could only do something if the car was `faulting` at the time of inspection.

For piece of mind, I took the car to a local auto electric garage and they also diagnosed a faulty battery. I emailed a copy of this report to the dealer and they said the same - they can only work on the car if it is faulting. I was advised to contact VW/Skoda assist and let them tow the car in next time it broke down.

Fast track to last week and the car broke down again and had to be jump started. I called the dealer again and was told ` do not start the car, we need it physically broke down to repair it`. The Skoda assist engineer will tow you in to us and they will give you a replacement vehicle. The following day I called Skoda assist and their engineer diagnosed a faulty battery, he also stated that they dont tow cars or issue loan cars - that`s down to the dealer. Luckily he had a spare battery to get me up and running, the new batteries are on a 12 week back order!

To be honest it seems like the dealers are that frightened about a warranty claim bouncing back, they would sooner leave you at the side of the road!

#11 ·
Jeez! that is a nightmare!!
I fear I will have the same issue Friday when they take it in - I also said to them what if I go and purchase a new battery and they said that would void the warranty!!
I currently switch off auto lights centre console screen and A/C have disconnected my camera too and rev the car alot whilst driving to keep the battery going as it is cranking slowly too.
I'll keep you posted on what they say Friday.....

#12 ·
Latest on mine.

Still haphazardly taking a while to start. When I say a while it is 4-5 turns but that only seems to happen when I unlock with keyless entry.
It does sometimes occur when I unlock with the fob but not as often, maybe 1 in 10. Also had an issue where if I got out, locked car and walked to boot it wouldn't open until after maybe 20 seconds of button pressing and foot waving!

Was in dealer for 6 days and picked it up last night after the dealer fitted a new battery (again) and a new module.
There was various to-ing and fro-ing between dealer and Skoda UK with them following instructions and reporting back and on Thursday I was asked for my spare key to see if it was a key issue.

Picked it up last night. Started 3rd time. This morning 4-5 again and messages on info centre and dash re Auto Park not operative and Stop-Start disabled respectively. Now booked in again for next Thursday.

I could live with it but my concern is if it refuses to start like it did when I called the recovery out and whilst in France towing our caravan!

#13 ·
I do hope SUK read this forum, though I doubt it, they think forums consist of a load of whingers!
Simple answer Mr Skoda......no problems = no whingers!!
I am becoming persona non gratia at SUK so somebody else feel free to have a go!

#14 ·
I bought a battery jump pack for the Honda last year, after a slew of battery misfortunes.
I must say, I feel far more relaxed driving places having one of those in the boot.

I wonder if such a booster would take of your car not starting?

I am not saying "there's a possible solution to your problem,". Definitely don't put up with it and get it looked at.

What I am saying is that a booster pack can get you out of a pickle. No trapeze artist expects to let slip of the swing, but it's a nice feeling knowing there's a net to catch them if they should.

The booster pack will come with us on our Kodiaq holiday for that reason.

#15 ·
grahamterry1000 said:
Latest on mine.

Still haphazardly taking a while to start. When I say a while it is 4-5 turns but that only seems to happen when I unlock with keyless entry.
It does sometimes occur when I unlock with the fob but not as often, maybe 1 in 10. Also had an issue where if I got out, locked car and walked to boot it wouldn't open until after maybe 20 seconds of button pressing and foot waving!

Was in dealer for 6 days and picked it up last night after the dealer fitted a new battery (again) and a new module.
There was various to-ing and fro-ing between dealer and Skoda UK with them following instructions and reporting back and on Thursday I was asked for my spare key to see if it was a key issue.

Picked it up last night. Started 3rd time. This morning 4-5 again and messages on info centre and dash re Auto Park not operative and Stop-Start disabled respectively. Now booked in again for next Thursday.

I could live with it but my concern is if it refuses to start like it did when I called the recovery out and whilst in France towing our caravan!
You can unlock the car with keyless entry? Like 'as and when you like???
I'm jealous! :lol:

#16 ·
I had a Start/Stop error this morning. I've had battery issues lately and the car has let me down twice in the last month, requiring a jump start. I rang the dealer and he booked me in to get a new more powerful battery and some other power module to be replaced. He said it was a known issue and they have had a number of cars back to upgrade the battery. Mine is a late 2017 model. Its booked in for next week so I'll keep you posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.