Engine Overheating?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
SteveBag

Engine Overheating?

Post by SteveBag » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi, my first post
Just returned from a short drive approx 5 miles and as I got out of the car I could hear the radiator fan running and could smell that the engine was hot, this has happened 2 days on the trot. Checked the coolent level - just above min. Before I contact the dealer is this normal? I have only covered 1200 miles to date and really like the car
Kodiaq SE L TDI 150 DSG - Business Grey, Beige Upholstery, 7 seats, Trailer Assist, Folding Tow Bar + space saver

andyvee

Re: Engine Overheating?

Post by andyvee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:30 pm

It's a DPF regen that has been interrupted. Nothing to worry about.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG Velvet Red with Cream Leather
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, TJA.

SteveBag

Post by SteveBag » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks, Andyvee for the info I will take the car on a a 60 mph run for 20 or so miles, hopefully that will do the trick, shame something doesn't come up on the infotainment screen to give early warning that the filter is getting sooted up, Thanks again for your reply!
Kodiaq SE L TDI 150 DSG - Business Grey, Beige Upholstery, 7 seats, Trailer Assist, Folding Tow Bar + space saver

Marinfullsuss

Post by Marinfullsuss » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:23 pm

andyvee wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:30 pm
It's a DPF regen that has been interrupted. Nothing to worry about.
Hi Andy - does this mean that when the radiator fan continues to run after a gentle drive on a cool day, it's likely that the DPF is regenerating and consequently the car is in need of a fast motorway spin?
SE Technology, 5 seats, 150 TDi, manual, 4WD, candy white, towbar, adaptive cruise control, rear camera, Amundsen sat nav, front & rear parking sensors, space saver wheel

BikeBert

Post by BikeBert » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 pm

The times when you had to take your diesel for a highway spin to regenerate your DPFs have gone forever...

In Kodiaq, the soot burning procedure in the DPF (regeneration) is surprisingly intelligent and does not pose any problems even on short routes. Automatic regeneration starts when soot mass reaches a value of approx. 24 g. Then DPF heats up to 600-700 °C and begins to burn soot to a level of approx. 4-6 g. Interestingly, this process can start just after starting the engine and at low speeds or even when stationary, and it takes approx. 10-15 minutes. If the engine is shut down and the process interrupted, nothing is happening - it is easy to recognize such situations when after leaving the car the fan is still running at full speed - it cools the engine and turbo which are responsible for initiating conditions favorable for burning the soot, i.e. high temperature. After restarting the engine, the process is resumed until the soot is burnt to a proper level.

Therefore, it is unnecessary to drive your Kodiaq on the motorway at a constant speed, in 4th gear, at 3000 rpm to burn out the DPF, like old diesels before.

I have 12km to work, which takes me about 15 minutes with an average speed of 30-40 km/h. Initially, I was afraid that commuting to work on such short distances would kill the particulate filter. My fear turned out to be unjustified - DPF can carry out the whole regeneration process during even such a short route. I very often monitor the (calculated) mass of soot and burning process by the OBDeleven application.

Below please find the screen shots showing two situations: normal driving and DPF regeneration:

Kodiaq => Ateca
My other car is a mountain bike :D

Jersey Boy

Post by Jersey Boy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks BikeBert, great to know!
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 150 HP DSG. Black with black leather, area view, paranoramic sunroof, retractable towbar, child pack (inc fold down tables), Canton sound system, media command and front seat isofix :D

Marinfullsuss

Post by Marinfullsuss » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Cheers Bikebert. Does this mean that mpg will be lower when regeneration occurs?
SE Technology, 5 seats, 150 TDi, manual, 4WD, candy white, towbar, adaptive cruise control, rear camera, Amundsen sat nav, front & rear parking sensors, space saver wheel

BikeBert

Post by BikeBert » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:24 am

Marinfullsuss wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 pm
Cheers Bikebert. Does this mean that mpg will be lower when regeneration occurs?
Yes but probably it's not a significant difference.
For example, when regeneration occurs, RPMs are slightly higher while the car is stationary to keep the DPF temperature hight.
Kodiaq => Ateca
My other car is a mountain bike :D

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Bert,
this was in reply to a What Car article regarding Karoq Vs Yeti.
Is this news to you? Not being an oil-burner, I know virtually nothing about DPFs.
The 'Oilyboys' amongst us might be interested if you can comment on the What Car statement below.
Thanks.

From Yeti forum.
Having read the What Car? review which Colin posted there is an option there that gives a review of a used Yeti which said this -

Other potential problems with DPF-equipped models arise if the car was shut off part way through a regeneration. The result is contamination of the oil system with fuel, which leads to the oil level rising gradually over time. This can cause damage to the engine, so it’s worth getting the car checked out.

This is news to me. Is this correct?
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:21 pm

One reply from the very knowledgeable Yeti forum Mod.

Moderator Group

My daughter in law has this problem with her S Max, so yes it is a real risk to the engine. She has had the car go into limp mode twice due to the degradation of the oil by diesel. So anyone who has frequent interrupted regenerations would do well to change their oil. A job which is easily done either with a vacuum pump or the electric pump recently sold by Lidl.
Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4
Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel and YOC sticker.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Faults & Technical”