Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Boot opening/closing problems anyone?

64K views 73 replies 33 participants last post by  JamieK 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Anyone else had problems with their electric boot door not closing properly, or stopping when halfway open?

Seems to be connected to the latch at the bottom of the boot door not behaving as it should, but I don't know why that would stop it opening completely.

Fiddling with the aforementioned latch, and moving it to a different position seems to allow the boot to open or close, but it's happening quite regularly and I've had to book the car back into the Garage.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

#2 ·
Initially had problems with foot swipe opening. Now fixed by dealer. Apparently the factory installed a plug the wrong way around. An easy fix, but it does open most of the time and also closes on you if you are shuffling around near the sensor with your feet. A bit disconcerting when the warning beep goes off.

#3 ·
Dommer,
Have you tried opening the tailgate right up and then closing it completely. Try it a couple of times and it should reset. It has a memory.
DO NOT (AS I DID!) push it up by hand or drag it down by hand. I thought I was doing the battery a favour as I open/close the tailgate at least 8 times a day for dog ins/outs and coupled with very short runs, might deplete the battery. All it did was completely screw up the opening/closing. At one point it simply would not open until I used the drivers door switch!

#4 ·
Hi Colin,

For some reason, it was not opening completely, unless I physically pushed it up. However, it seems to have fixed itself now, although I do think there is an intermittent problem with the boot catch. It seemed to be triggered initially by me forgetting that it was an electric boot, and pushing it down manually. As you say, best to let the car do the work.

#5 ·
I agree, I thought I was doing the battery a favour and all it did was confuse it.
As you say, let it do its own thing.

#6 ·
The only problem I have had is sometime it will not closes on the remote despite the lights flash so it is getting a signal. Sometimes it can be 2-3 days of not working then everything is ok for several weeks, have tested with all remotes as does the same with all of them so it is not a remote issue.
Have not got to the bottom of it yet.

#7 ·
Jonnoa said:
The only problem I have had is sometime it will not closes on the remote despite the lights flash so it is getting a signal. Sometimes it can be 2-3 days of not working then everything is ok for several weeks, have tested with all remotes as does the same with all of them so it is not a remote issue.
Have not got to the bottom of it yet.
Make sure you're keeping the boot opening button on the remote pressed for a few seconds. Also check whether anything's blocking the latch or near the tailgate that may be confusing the tailgate to think there's an obstruction.

#8 ·
These tailgates have a mind o f their own I think.
Sometimes the outside handle just doesn't work and I have fiddly about pressing it in different places to get it to open.
Sometimes using the fob to open it, it only goes about half way.
If it doesn't latch the problem is invariably something in the way of the static locking bar in the cill.
If you are a dog owner as I am I often fined the dog towel that a flip out over the bumper has shifted or the bot liner has slid back and pushed some of the bedding into the way of the latch.
As has been mention. open and close it fully a few times and like the leccy windows, it seems to clear its brain.
BTW, if opening from the door switch you only have to give the switch a tug to open it , but to close it you have to pull the switch up and hold it up until the tailgate latches.

#9 ·
hi there,
my kodiaqs tailgate/boot is not closing properly. when i press the boot closing button the boot starts closing.
it is closing down but the tailgate indictor light stays on and shows open.
the boot is down and seems closed, but its not closed tightly, still some play in the boot.
also the inside boot lights wont switch off.
anyone having the same problem
cheers
heycolombo

#10 ·
Have a read of the suggestions above. If you still can't get it sorted, it's off to the dealer!

#11 ·
Hi All, just got my Kodiaq last week. Loving it. However just tried to open the tailgate and its making the noise as if it wants to open but doesn't then theres a couple of beeps. Any ideas as to what I can do. Need access to it as I have three kids and the dealer cant take it until next Thursday? Ive tried pressing the button on the rear and pushing down but nothing.

#12 ·
Have you tried using the key fob to open it?
Or the switch low down on the driver's door, just above the door pocket.

#13 ·
Ok...
Twice now I've come out to the car to find the boot open!!
The first time it was fully open and, this morning, it was partially open as if the opening was aborted a third of the way through the process.
Im pretty certain its not me accidentally pushing on the key fob so, at the moment, Im guessing it MIGHT be the aftermarket boot liner getting partially in the way and not allowing............but it makes no sense.
Maybe a warranty job.
PS: Im keeping an eye in things, moreover I will open and close the boot a few times tomorrow to see if it 'resets itself'

#14 ·
I have found that if I 'plip' the boot from the fob from too great a distance the lid only opens a 1/4 of the way. Then I either have to lift it up manually or press to close and then reopen.
Having a 'slidey' boot liner myself I always check to make sure it IS closed properly.

#15 ·
Always watch the tailgate while closing to be sure it didn't open in later time.

Once I waited in my car on my wife. When she came, she opened the tailgate, put the stuff in the trunk and closed it by pressing the button. While the tailgate was closing I switched the engine on and when my wife was seated I drove from the parking. Few seconds later there was a warning light. I turned my head around and the tailgate was fully opened! The ignition just canceled the closing :(

#16 ·
Having owned my K for 3 months now I have experienced 3 times that the boot opens on its own when K is standing in my driveway. I am positive that no buttons on any of the keys have been pressed and both keys are far enough away from K to make sure the wave-foot-under-boot thingy could not have been activated by a stray dog. Going in to the dealer tomorrow to ask them about the issue...

#17 ·
Got my Kodiaq service today.
The problem was the Auto Tailgate suddenly stop functioning, either from the buttons, the driver door control or on the key fob.

First day they thought is the re program issue, that many kodiaq have with the hands-free foot sensor. But they have not seen it before.

Back to the service station now, hoping it can be fixed by a day or two.

Luckily the service loan vehicle is an Octavia Sport. Fun to drive.

Anyone else had the same issue?

#18 ·
What was I saying (in another thread) about modern cars having too much tech!! The more you have the more there is to go wrong! Skoda obviously have an awful lot of wrinkles to sort out with the tech on the K. I wonder if the Karoq will fair any better. Once they start hitting the roads I will monitor the Karoq owners web site carefully.
If it has as many problems as 'Daddy Bear' perhaps they will change the name to CROCK! :lol:

#19 ·
Right.....
I LOVE my Kodiaq, it is fabulous, comfortable, quick, handles superbly etc etc.
It is all the car I have ever desired in a daily, functional vehicle.
But.......
Today, I am at my son and daughter in laws home, the car is parked out on the road, 30 ish metres from the front door.
I look out the front room window to see the bloody hatch fully opened.......
Look, I know that the key fob design means that an accidental press of the button can cause the boot to open and, in this case, they key was in my pocket and my granddaughter was on my lap but this is ridiculous!
The wife and I went somewhere warm for a week a couple of weeks ago and I parked the car in a long stay car park for a week.
How many times do you think that I wondered whether the fob had accidentally opened the boot and all the sodding windows as I boarded the shuttle bus, arms full of luggage? Too many times.
Its not an acceptable situation. I'm looking out on the car when I come into the house to see if the boot is down, im looking out at it when I go to bed, even though the keys are in the drawer and have been for hours.
Seriously, It is the ONE thing that will have me going elsewhere when the time comes for a change and that elsewhere will not necessarily mean Skoda.
That fob design is monumentally STUPID and I cannot be expected to tippy toe everytime I want to lock the bloody car and walk away from it.
It's not good enough, sorry, It's a cock up that will turn me off the marque.

#20 ·
Yep just the the Kodiaq yesterday and boot did not want to open. It seems to be unlocked from the front display so I have to manually lift it with my hands. Pretty heavy. It must be an intermit fault because it opens most times. Dealer siding know either so will have to take to the service center. I'll try "resetting" it to see if it makes a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated

#21 ·
Rob M said:
Right.....
But.......
Today, I am at my son and daughter in laws home, the car is parked out on the road, 30 ish metres from the front door.
Look, I know that the key fob design means that an accidental press of the button can cause the boot to open and, in this case, they key was in my pocket and my granddaughter was on my lap but this is ridiculous!
The wife and I went somewhere warm for a week a couple of weeks ago and I parked the car in a long stay car park for a week.
How many times do you think that I wondered whether the fob had accidentally opened the boot and all the sodding windows as I boarded the shuttle bus, arms full of luggage? Too many times.
Its not an acceptable situation. I'm looking out on the car when I come into the house to see if the boot is down, im looking out at it when I go to bed, even though the keys are in the drawer and have been for hours.
Seriously, It is the ONE thing that will have me going elsewhere when the time comes for a change and that elsewhere will not necessarily mean Skoda.
That fob design is monumentally STUPID and I cannot be expected to tippy toe everytime I want to lock the bloody car and walk away from it.

Not just the boot lid as far as I am concerned. Too many inexcusable electrical (and we won't start talking about bloody stupid door protector thingys or creaking door cards) gremlins in a car of this cost and quality. it won't need too much to go wrong and it will be back to the land of the rising sun for my transport. It will break my heart if I have to end up changing 'horses' as I am a total Skodaphile, having had 5 and having the most excellent relationship with my dealer.
Although I still (just!) consider the K to be the best of the 75 cars I have owned it is however the worst technical quality of my 5 Skodas. Probably because the other 4 were existing models that had had the wrinkles ironed out by the time I bought one. (Fabia Estate & 3 1.2DSG Yetis)

#22 ·
I can see it happen;
Buy your 2021 Skoda Kodiaq. Now with manually operated tailgate for only £299 as an option.
£499 if you want to go KESSY free.

(roundabout the same time where Apple start offering an iPhone with handy 3.5mm headphone socket)

File under: "looked good on paper"

;)

#23 ·
I keep my key in the wee key purse, or whatever it's called, which the dealer gave me when I bought the car. It's slightly padded so guards against accidental presses.

#24 ·
Never had an issue with mine over the last year, I consider this to be a operator error and cont a technical problem.

#25 ·
Today went to shop buy some biking clothes...tries some clothes etc....came put from the bicycle shop and VOILA boot was wide open on busy street where are lots of thieves etc....nice surprise....proplably accidentally key opened the boot iy was in by pocket...that was the first time I saw this thing. Another gremlin is it won't open when i want to open it with foot...I say some weird s...h...tt is going on with our cars...

#26 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Rob M said:
Right.....
But.......

Not just the boot lid as far as I am concerned. Too many inexcusable electrical (and we won't start talking about bloody stupid door protector thingys or creaking door cards) gremlins in a car of this cost and quality. it won't need too much to go wrong and it will be back to the land of the rising sun for my transport. It will break my heart if I have to end up changing 'horses' as I am a total Skodaphile, having had 5 and having the most excellent relationship with my dealer.
Although I still (just!) consider the K to be the best of the 75 cars I have owned it is however the worst technical quality of my 5 Skodas. Probably because the other 4 were existing models that had had the wrinkles ironed out by the time I bought one. (Fabia Estate & 3 1.2DSG Yetis)
Amen.
This is my third Skoda, it will be my last.
It is not anything major that has put me off, it is the minor stuff that has had me screaming.
I mean, how can me telling the voice control to turn to RADIO TWO mean that it cannot connect my phone?
My accent isn't that heavy, my wife goes into hysterics when I say again 'RADIO F*****G TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can the battery go completely flat in a week just because have left a dash cam plugged in when I have done the same elsewhere in the past and not had a single issue whatsoever?
I won't elaborate on the issue with going to open the door only to find that it won't without me using the key fob. That is about 30% of the time, 30% too much, actually.
Yes, a new model, a new model that is actually using technology that is either exact or not to dissimilar to the stuff that is already being used across the whole of the VAG range!!
I can find no excuses tbh.
This is a £28K ( thereabouts) car I have bought, and it is absolutely NO BETTER than the Octavia 1.2TSI I traded in, infact, the Octavia was probably the best new car I have ever bought, utterly brilliant in its execution.
The Kodiaq is a fabulous car. It does all that you could want, as a mile muncher it is superb, as a quick A to B car it is surprisingly swift but as a whole package it is let down by the kind of niggles that are not going to be easily ironed out and are going to frustrate to the point of anger.
I now wish I had have gone elsewhere, either that or had bought a Octavia VRS.
Such is life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.