scored and rusty brake discs

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
davidb

scored and rusty brake discs

Post by davidb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm

I had my second service today and I have done 18600 miles and was told my rear discs and pads need changing due to rust. They are also scored but the report doesn't mention that I was told because l live near the sea, is the reason they are most probably rusty.

It seems to me that this is a short time for discs and pads to need changed what are your thoughts?
SE L 1.4TSI (150) 4*4 Manual
memory drivers seat, space saver wheel, rough rd pack, rear view camera, dynamic chassis control

FoxtrotAlpha

Re: scored and rusty brake discs

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 pm

davidb wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm
I had my second service today and I have done 18600 miles and was told my rear discs and pads need changing due to rust. They are also scored but the report doesn't mention that I was told because l live near the sea, is the reason they are most probably rusty.

It seems to me that this is a short time for discs and pads to need changed what are your thoughts?
Not sure if this helps but I live in very rural Scotland and during the winters we have allot of road salt used on the roads due to constant snow (not to dissimilar to being near the sea) and after 2 years and 35,000 miles in our old Edition we have had no issues with breaks rusting or scoring, in fact there was still plenty of life in them when it was returned.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey
Somewhere in Scotland.

ChristianScout190

Post by ChristianScout190 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:29 am

I suspect its nothing to worry about. If the car hasn't been sat for months then any surface rust will be regularly cleaned of by the brake pads way before it gets to eat into and pit the discs.

Take it to an mot test station and get it put on the rollers to test brake efficiency.
Scout 190 TDI 4x4 DSG
Gaffer tape is like 'the force'... It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

davidb

Post by davidb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 pm

Not sure if this helps but I live in very rural Scotland and during the winters we have allot of road salt used on the roads due to constant snow (not to dissimilar to being near the sea) and after 2 years and 35,000 miles in our old Edition we have had no issues with breaks rusting or scoring, in fact there was still plenty of life in them when it was returned.
I too live in rural Scotland on the west coast
SE L 1.4TSI (150) 4*4 Manual
memory drivers seat, space saver wheel, rough rd pack, rear view camera, dynamic chassis control

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:47 am

When I wash my car I notice that by morning the discs are pretty uniformly brown with a thin layer of rust and as I pull away from the house there is a noticeable judder as the pads are released. I've not noticed this so much with previous cars. I live in the south east of England and many 10's of miles from the coast and on none car wash days the discs are more or less uniform silver and rust free in the mornings unless there has been some windy rain overnight.

Are your discs rusty every morning? If they are I can imagine they have worn down quite a bit and there is perhaps a reasonably deep 'edge' to them at the rim and they might need replacing. I seem to remember surprising little wear is required before discs are deemed below minimum thickness. Not sure if it is due to the possibility of disc distortion or travel of the pads in the calipers or both. The pads may not be worn but would need replacing as they will have worn to the shape of the old discs.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

sparkymark

Post by sparkymark » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 pm

I often see 'rust' spots on the surface of my brake discs, but it soon disappears after driving a few miles and using the brakes.....never had a problem with their operation in the 1year+ I have owned the Kodiaq.
You can usually tell if they need replacing by feeling for a prominent 'lip' around the rim, meaning the discs have been worn/grooved by the pads.

If you haven't noticed any difference in brake operation/performance and they aren't squeaking or grinding, then they probably don't need replacing yet......but I'm no expert!!
Petrol Blue 1.4TSi 150BHP, 7 seat SEL, with Canton Sound (yes it's worth the price), 19" Triglav alloys, Beige Leather and Reversing camera
North West UK

Return to “Faults & Technical”