Skoda Kodiaq 1.5tsi dangerous fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
Paul Bailey

Skoda Kodiaq 1.5tsi dangerous fault

Post by Paul Bailey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:49 am

Dear sir/madam,

I purchased my vehicle the beginning of January 2019, the vehicle has had confirmed faults on it since day 1. I have had a software update for issue one applied by VW assistance in April.

Second dangerous issue is still present and has an indefinite repair date, current guessing is approximately 8 weeks from now but with no confirmed date.

I have informed VW Finance and Skoda UK that my car insurance is void if it is proven I have an accident linked to the known fault. Skoda UK informed me he used to work in the insurance sector and has verified my insurance companies stance. I have requested a subject access request so I have the telephone call as evidence. They have refused to give me a hire car and when I asked for it to be referred higher for a decision this was also refused.

VW finance are also aware of my situation and have since done nothing to help or accelerate the 8 weeks time frame leaving me unable to drive or purchase another vehicle because my deposit is tied up in the current contract.

The vehicle is dangerous to drive as it stalls and “bunny hops” when cold, meaning I am not in full control of the vehicle. My insurance company have rightly advised me I am not covered in the event of an accident.

Colin Lambert

Re: Skoda Kodiaq 1.5tsi dangerous fault

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:25 pm

You have already written about this in
thread...VAG admit problem with 1.5 EVO engine.
Why don't you join forces with others to take on Skoda regarding this absolutely appalling state of affairs?
Power in numbers! Somebody in VAG needs to own up to this cock-up!!
You could also join up with Karoq owners who have the same problem. https://www.karoqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=381
https://www.karoqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=387
Also check Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT owners forums, to see if the problem goes across the group.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Wolves

Post by Wolves » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:58 pm

My son in law has recently purchased a 1.5 tsi Seat Tarracco with a similar problem. He has now been contacted by his local Seat dealer and told they now have an update to the software to cure this fault which is going no to be carried out in next couple of weeks. So surely Skoda should be carrying out the same update

Paul Bailey

Post by Paul Bailey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:17 pm

Simple answer is I don’t know. Everything I have posted is fresh information as of today and Skoda still have no answer.

I’m paying for a car that’s dangerous and uninsured if I crash it linked the fault. This issue has been known since last year and has been going on nearly 5 months.

I have contacted Trading standards who said under the 2015 Consumer rights laws I have given them enough time to repair or replace the fault/faulty item. My best friend of 35 years is a Seat Master Tech and he doesn’t believe the update will work. If it was software he believes it would affect every 1.5tsi not just some, so he believes it’s a faulty component.

From Skoda UK today they stated that there was 2 software issues and the first one applied in April to my vehicle requires approximately 500mikes if driving to allow the car to learn my driving style???? So if that’s the same your son in law may find it doesn’t work straight away even if it is a software and not component issue.

Good luck to him because even if it was 5 miles as opposed to 500 miles I can’t drive mine in insured 🤷‍♂️

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:37 am

Paul Bailey wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:49 am
Dear sir/madam,

I purchased my vehicle the beginning of January 2019, the vehicle has had confirmed faults on it since day 1. I have had a software update for issue one applied by VW assistance in April.

Second dangerous issue is still present and has an indefinite repair date, current guessing is approximately 8 weeks from now but with no confirmed date.

I have informed VW Finance and Skoda UK that my car insurance is void if it is proven I have an accident linked to the known fault. Skoda UK informed me he used to work in the insurance sector and has verified my insurance companies stance. I have requested a subject access request so I have the telephone call as evidence. They have refused to give me a hire car and when I asked for it to be referred higher for a decision this was also refused.

VW finance are also aware of my situation and have since done nothing to help or accelerate the 8 weeks time frame leaving me unable to drive or purchase another vehicle because my deposit is tied up in the current contract.

The vehicle is dangerous to drive as it stalls and “bunny hops” when cold, meaning I am not in full control of the vehicle. My insurance company have rightly advised me I am not covered in the event of an accident.
Is this a manual or DSG? I have a 1.5 4X4 DSG (March 2019) and it behaves flawlessly. Occasionally there is an almost imperceptable hesitance when cold but much less than other petrol cars we have owned. I've read somewhere this affects manuals only?
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:48 am

Paul Bailey wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:17 pm
Simple answer is I don’t know. Everything I have posted is fresh information as of today and Skoda still have no answer.

I’m paying for a car that’s dangerous and uninsured if I crash it linked the fault. This issue has been known since last year and has been going on nearly 5 months.

I have contacted Trading standards who said under the 2015 Consumer rights laws I have given them enough time to repair or replace the fault/faulty item. My best friend of 35 years is a Seat Master Tech and he doesn’t believe the update will work. If it was software he believes it would affect every 1.5tsi not just some, so he believes it’s a faulty component.

From Skoda UK today they stated that there was 2 software issues and the first one applied in April to my vehicle requires approximately 500mikes if driving to allow the car to learn my driving style???? So if that’s the same your son in law may find it doesn’t work straight away even if it is a software and not component issue.

Good luck to him because even if it was 5 miles as opposed to 500 miles I can’t drive mine in insured 🤷‍♂️
Surely if the car is not driveable you can leave it with a dealer until it is fixed and they will provide you with a courtesy car? The fact the car is in effect broken and there is no fix is Skoda's problem, not yours. I would take it back to the dealer and leave them with the keys and demand a courtesy car. I have some experience returning cars, the 2015 Consumer Rights Act does have teeth but you have to stop using the car I think.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

tractorman

Post by tractorman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:08 pm

" the first one applied in April to my vehicle requires approximately 500mikes if driving to allow the car to learn my driving style???? "

Are they having a laugh?

I think I would have it returned to the garage it came from with a letter rejecting the vehicle and send one to the head office and finance company.
Kodiaq 2.0TDI diesel 4X4 Auto SE L, in Meteor Grey, adaptive cruise control, leather, colour maxi dot trip computer rear view camera, full LED, ordered 5th May 2018 delivered December 2018. Dealer fit dash cams front and rear.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Paul Bailey wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:17 pm

My best friend of 35 years is a Seat Master Tech and he doesn’t believe the update will work. If it was software he believes it would affect every 1.5tsi not just some, so he believes it’s a faulty component.
We have another petrol car, not a Skoda, which when new had a similar issue when extremely cold (around freezing). Another symptom was the engine idle speed would be erratic. This was initialy put down to software and it was updated but to no effect. When we returned the car a second time the injectors were cleaned and that solved it. 5 years on and the problem has not repeated so it appears the injectors were in some way blocked when new.

Return to “Faults & Technical”