Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Kodiaq in Steel Grey

25K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  FoxtrotAlpha 
#1 ·
Just picked it up this week.
2.0 TDi Style with DSG and a few extras.
Really liking it.
Last car was a MKIII SUperb.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Plodd said:
Is that the same as Meteor Grey?
Yes I believe so. Looks good in this picture but I wasnt overwhelmed when I saw it in real life. That said the colour is very on trend at the moment.

#4 ·
FoxtrotAlpha said:
Plodd said:
Yes I believe so. Looks good in this picture but I wasnt overwhelmed when I saw it in real life. That said the colour is very on trend at the moment.
Who cares what's "on trend"? Buy a car in the colour you like. Don't follow the flock, be your own ram! 😁

#5 ·
Yes I believe its called Meteor Grey in some markets. Wasn't sure about the colour myself until I seen a Karoq with the same colour in the flesh and really liked it. The bonus for me was that it's one of three standard colours for Skoda Ireland so saved me €700 over a metallic colour that I could spend on the options list instead.

#6 ·
Old and Grumpy said:
FoxtrotAlpha said:
Plodd said:
Who cares what's "on trend"? Buy a car in the colour you like. Don't follow the flock, be your own ram! 😁
The fact you don't care doesn't make my comment worthless, maybe illustrates your lack of knowledge.

Anyone who is buying a car should know what's on trend and this colour is on trend across the VAG group and other makes at the moment. Why should you know? Simple as what's on trend now is quite likely not in the near future, especially unique colours (not this particular colour but some have been really odd).

This is important when looking at residuals and your nice trendy colour now has negative affect on future resale. Some colours remain stable in terms of resale values whereas limited editions have differing results. I would argue that vRS's in race blue are more attractive to buyers than any other colours as it was with Scoobies.

So who cares? Anyone wishing to sell a car in the future.

#7 ·
FoxtrotAlpha said:
Old and Grumpy said:
FoxtrotAlpha said:
The fact you don't care doesn't make my comment worthless, maybe illustrates your lack of knowledge........
At what point did I imply that your comment was "worthless"? You expressed a view and I expressed a different view. Don't be so sensitive! 😁

G
#8 ·
FoxtrotAlpha said:
Old and Grumpy said:
FoxtrotAlpha said:
The fact you don't care doesn't make my comment worthless, maybe illustrates your lack of knowledge.

Anyone who is buying a car should know what's on trend and this colour is on trend across the VAG group and other makes at the moment. Why should you know? Simple as what's on trend now is quite likely not in the near future, especially unique colours (not this particular colour but some have been really odd).

This is important when looking at residuals and your nice trendy colour now has negative affect on future resale. Some colours remain stable in terms of resale values whereas limited editions have differing results. I would argue that vRS's in race blue are more attractive to buyers than any other colours as it was with Scoobies.

So who cares? Anyone wishing to sell a car in the future.
Only people who plan to sell their cars soon. I sell cars when the predicted cost of repairs exceeds the cars value. I owned my last car from new for over a decade and well over 100K miles. Resale value is of little importance then. I'd agree about colours though, the current trend for drab colours I don't understand. I'm sure my silver petrol 4x4 will be 'in demand' in a decade compared to the drab coloured diesels I see around now. Some of the colours look like undercoat to me.

What I don't understand is why people change their cars so frequently as cars are now so reliable. My previous car went a decade only requiring one sensor replaced, the wifes current car is 5 and has never gone wrong. I'm assuming it will see its 10th birthday with little expense.

#9 ·
Silver bear said.....
What I don't understand is why people change their cars so frequently as cars are now so reliable. My previous car went a decade only requiring one sensor replaced, the wife's current car is 5 and has never gone wrong. I'm assuming it will see its 10th birthday with little expense.

I change my cars about every 12-18 months. (76 cars to date)
Because I want to.
Because. I'm a 'petrolhead' my car is my hobby, not merely a lump of tin to get me from A to B and......
1. I get bored.
2. I don't 'do' MOTs.
3. I won't keep any car out of warranty as they are getting far too complicated.
4. I can afford it. ( Because I am a boring O.F. I don't smoke, drink or go on expensive holidays, because I won't leave my rescued dog in kennels.
I also agree completely with Foxtrot Alpha.
'On trend' colours very quickly go 'off trend'.
I am now going to stick my neck RIGHT out and happy to have some decapitate me!
BUT just remember before castigating me, we are all different and we all like different things and my comments are merely MY feelings/opinions.
Best cars for resale are any shade of silver or black. i hate both, having had too many silver cars and being to lazy to wash a black car twice a week!
I do not like boring colours,
Clay as I call the OP's car (sorry!) Gunmetal etc.
I would go for Race blue if only Skoda would get rid of the boring person who chooses their palette and give us more choice.
I lurve! The fantastic metallic red which Renault, Mazda and loads of others are now using. I may just buy a Mazda CX 5 next time just to escape from being shackled to Skoda's boring colours.
The best Skoda can do is 'fire engine red' (velvet) as I call it. Emerald green, anybody ever seen an emerald that colour, I bet not.
I love the old Inca yellow (Triumph Stag/ MGB) but NOT for an SUV.
I'll shut up now, rant over. I'll crawl back into my cave! :lol:

#10 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Silver bear said.....
What I don't understand is why people change their cars so frequently as cars are now so reliable. My previous car went a decade only requiring one sensor replaced, the wife's current car is 5 and has never gone wrong. I'm assuming it will see its 10th birthday with little expense.

Because I want to.
Because. I'm a 'petrolhead' my car is my hobby, not merely a lump of tin to get me from A to B and......
1. I get bored.
2. I don't 'do' MOTs.
3. I won't keep any car out of warranty as they are getting far too complicated.
4. I can afford it. ( Because I am a boring O.F. I don't smoke, drink or go on expensive holidays, because I won't leave my rescued dog in kennels.
BUT just remember before castigating me, we are all different and we all like different things and my comments are merely MY feelings/opinions.
Best cars for resale are any shade of silver or black. i hate both, having had too many silver cars and being to lazy to wash a black car twice a week!
I would go for Race blue if only Skoda would get rid of the boring person who chooses their palette and give us more choice.
I lurve! The fantastic metallic red which Renault, Mazda and loads of others are now using. I may just buy a Mazda CX 5 next time just to escape from being shackled to Skoda's boring colours.
The best Skoda can do is 'fire engine red' (velvet) as I call it. Emerald green, anybody ever seen an emerald that colour, I bet not.
All valid points! My last car (2007 Nissan T31 X-Trail) lasted 10 years before I got the Kodiaq, and after a few months I ended up replacing my 2012 Subaru WRX with a 2015 VW Golf R estate... I used to be like Silverbear and not understand why people frequently change their cars, but here we are. I can afford to, so why TF not?

#11 ·
Oh dear FA!

I was going to PM you, but it appears that you don't allow PMs.

The comment "............maybe illustrates your lack of knowledge." probably more illustrates your beligerent attitude to anyone who disagrees with your opinion, on this and many other topics!

We all have opinions, and you have no information on my levels of knowledge on this, or any other, topic to substantiate that comment.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, and to learn to respect the different opinions expressed on the forum. :)

G
#13 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Silver bear said.....

Because I want to.
1. I get bored.
2. I don't 'do' MOTs.
76!

No, that didn't sound right.

SEVENTY SIX?!!!!

Me, 35 years motoring and this is my 6th car, some of the early ones were dreadful. I doubt I'll own more than two more cars as that should last me the next 30 years.

G
#14 ·
Zach said:
Colin Lambert said:
Silver bear said.....

Because I want to.
1. I get bored.
2. I don't 'do' MOTs.
All valid points! My last car (2007 Nissan T31 X-Trail) lasted 10 years before I got the Kodiaq, and after a few months I ended up replacing my 2012 Subaru WRX with a 2015 VW Golf R estate... I used to be like Silverbear and not understand why people frequently change their cars, but here we are. I can afford to, so why TF not?
If I had loads of money, and was disposed to spending it on cars, I'd buy something really expensive and keep it a long time rather than a precession of less expensive but frequently updated cars: a top of the range Range Rover or something. However I accept we are all different!

#15 ·
Old and Grumpy said:
Oh dear FA!

I was going to PM you, but it appears that you don't allow PMs.

The comment "............maybe illustrates your lack of knowledge." probably more illustrates your beligerent attitude to anyone who disagrees with your opinion, on this and many other topics!

We all have opinions, and you have no information on my levels of knowledge on this, or any other, topic to substantiate that comment.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, and to learn to respect the different opinions expressed on the forum. :)
Somewhat hypocritical me thinks. More than happy with other opinions however when someone states that a comment I made has no validity "Who cares what's "on trend"?" When I can back it up with a rational reason then I think I have the right to respond accordingly.

There are a couple of people, you are one, who believe their views are the only valid ones, I could easily name the others. No matter what I say I will be wrong in your eyes. I watched you and these others have a go at another person on here in a recent thread and you had the audacity to call him a troll. For reference my PMs are not turned off as I have received them from other people.

#16 ·
Silverbear said:
If I had loads of money, and was disposed to spending it on cars, I'd buy something really expensive and keep it a long time rather than a precession of less expensive but frequently updated cars: a top of the range Range Rover or something. However I accept we are all different!
I'm not quite on RR money... NZ$200,000 for an ideal spec Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Dynamic, yet an SDV8 Autobiography Dynamic yeah nah. Don't see the point spending $200k to have a car for 10yr that's gonna be worth $40k when I can buy a $70k car, use it for 5yrs and sell it for $25k then buy another new car for the same price and repeat. Buying a top end RR and keeping it for 10yo, I lose $160k however buying two 70k cars i lose $90k, no brainer. And there's no way you're getting double the car going from a high end Kodiaq to a Range Rover.

Automotive tech moves so quickly that keeping a car for 10yr is going to be such a big leap. Coming from my late 90's CRV to the '07 X-Trail wasn't nearly as big as the jump from the X-Trail to the Kodiaq...

#17 ·
FoxtrotAlpha said:
1. when someone states that a comment I made has no validity "Who cares what's "on trend"?"

2. I watched you and these others have a go at another person on here in a recent thread and you had the audacity to call him a troll.

3. For reference my PMs are not turned off as I have received them from other people.
Get your facts right!

G
#18 ·
Zach said:
Silverbear said:
I'm not quite on RR money... NZ$200,000 for an ideal spec Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Dynamic, yet an SDV8 Autobiography Dynamic yeah nah. Don't see the point spending $200k to have a car for 10yr that's gonna be worth $40k when I can buy a $70k car, use it for 5yrs and sell it for $25k then buy another new car for the same price and repeat. Buying a top end RR and keeping it for 10yo, I lose $160k however buying two 70k cars i lose $90k, no brainer. And there's no way you're getting double the car going from a high end Kodiaq to a Range Rover.

Automotive tech moves so quickly that keeping a car for 10yr is going to be such a big leap. Coming from my late 90's CRV to the '07 X-Trail wasn't nearly as big as the jump from the X-Trail to the Kodiaq...
I wonder if a Range Rover driver would agree with you about not getting twice the car?

Comparing the costs I had in mind comparing 10 year ownership of something expensive compared to changing cars every year or two, not really 5 years. On the subject of changing every 5 years, why not keep for 6,7 or 8? I could have sold my last car at 10 years with nothing wrong with it. My mistake was keeping it another 6 months.

Interesting point of view about technology moving on in ten years. My previous car was a VW and was lovely to drive, as is my Kodiaq. To me they feel much the same, their chief difference being one was starting to go wrong because of its age and the other is new and under warranty. I'd still be driving the VW if it was not costing me money and being a diesel offered more economic driving but I could not risk diesel on a new investment. I suppose many people see new technology as a selling point but really what technology does the Kodiaq have that the old car did not that I need? I can't think of anything, both had cruise control which I use a lot, both had aircon which I don't need, both had antilock brakes and power steering, both had reversing sensors, both had remote central locking and electric windows neither of which I need. Both had traction control. Both had a radio although the VW also had a CD player which is a mixed blessing because it means in the Kodiaq I get to listen to Radio 3 and my wife can't subject me to her awful pop CD collection!

#19 ·
Old and Grumpy said:
FoxtrotAlpha said:
1. when someone states that a comment I made has no validity "Who cares what's "on trend"?"

2. I watched you and these others have a go at another person on here in a recent thread and you had the audacity to call him a troll.

3. For reference my PMs are not turned off as I have received them from other people.
Get your facts right!
We are not going to agree and you are becoming tedious so let not bother commenting on each others posts.

#22 ·
Zach said:
I can afford to, so why TF not?
Agreed 100%.

I don't do MOTs, I don't have kids or a mortgage and so I have enough disposable income to be able to repay £405 a month on my Kodiaq VRS.......in 30 months time, I'll chop it in for something else new.

Why do I want to be the richest corpse in the graveyard?

G
#23 ·
SkodaVRS1963 said:
Zach said:
Agreed 100%.

I don't do MOTs, I don't have kids or a mortgage and so I have enough disposable income to be able to repay £405 a month on my Kodiaq VRS.......in 30 months time, I'll chop it in for something else new.

Indeed although for vRS money I'd get an entry level Landcruiser.

#24 ·
SkodaVRS1963 said:
Zach said:
Agreed 100%.

Yes I totally agree and rather have top of the range Kodiaq over an entry level Landcruiser any day of the week. If you can afford it do it, I do. I could afford a Range Rover but I don't as I don't see the value in it.

#26 ·
Shotto said:
And........ Back to the original post !!!!!!!!

Nice car I personally love the colour

Buy what you want!!!! not what other people tell you to get. Screw them 😁
Our Kodiaq was a year old recently and went back to dealership for its first service.

Photographs don't do that colour justice, in the flesh it was fantastic looking, my teenage son agreed but my wife hated it.

Defo a 'marmite' type colour I think, you will either love or hate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.