Edition Review

Post pictures of your Skoda Kodiaq here
Inkarr

Edition Review

Post by Inkarr » Tue May 01, 2018 2:19 pm

First impressions of the Skoda Kodiaq

So i picked up my Kodiaq at 16:00 on the 30th April from Lookers in Stockport. It was a pretty simple handover and i was on my way by 17:00.

First impressions of the Kodiaq so far are excellent and i love the car.
No issues with paintwork being rough at the bottom and chrome edging as some have had on other posts. I need to point out i have had the Gard X paint and leather protection applied though, so that may have solved any issues there if they had existed.

Drive wise i have mostly been driving in ECO mode just to get the engine bedded in so taking it easy. I do see what people say regarding the lag on pulling out of junctions, although i am in ECO mode. Currently after only 17 miles on the car i am averaging 36.2mpg and i only expect this to get better.

At the dealers i only had time to set my Nav to get home, program a radio station to listen to something and connect my phone. Even after the phone box signal booster has been removed due to the recent issue, i have had no issues with reception during the calls.

The only gripe i have with the speedo is that the 30mph isn't very prominent, but that may be due to the nature of the vehicle a being KM based abroad and just my experience with other cars. My last car was a digital number based speedo but i have just enabled that function in the Maxidot display. last thing i wanted was a speeding ticket on the first day i had the car.

Adaptive Cruise Control is good and i like you can set it to remember the last distance setting. My last car had 4 settings and defaulted back to the 2nd to last every time. Unlike my last car the speed adjustment move up or down by 5mph on speed cameras that just advise you of your speed when dong 30mph on the dash, the camera registers 28mph (same as my last car and probably standard so manufacturers don't get sued for speeding faults). You can set it to 32mph in this case by getting to that speed and pressing the set button but would have been nice, like my previous car, by having a light press moves the speed by 1mph and a hard press by 5mph but hey ho.

Apple carplay is very good, especially as i use Spotify a lot. Never had the carplay function before. It's a shame when you plug a USB in the "phonebox" cubby hole that you can't shut the cover

I haven't managed to get the media streaming function working but spoke to Skoda Cust services, who said i didn't need the Media Command option. Need to have a play when i get a proper moment.

Not had any issues with the virtual pedal boot, although i was sorting stuff out in the huge boot and heard a beeping and down came the boot. I must have tripped it by mistake.

The boot as i mentioned is huge compared to any other car i have had but it is a shame that you can't get a variable floor on the 5 seater. I may look at making one myself.

I ordered the petrol blue, which looks incredible in the sun and the beige interior to make it seem a bit more airy, but have put seat protectors in the back, under the kids seats and kick guards on the back of the front seats, which are black, so kind of defeats the object, although with the amount of space there i doubt they could even reach with their feet yet.

My Wife has a Range Rover Sport and even in that car i struggle with leg room in the front passenger seat with the kids seats behind, although i am 6'4". No such issue with the Kodiaq and loads of room all round. I can't work out why there is so much room. It seems to defy physics.

I have also put black door kick plates, mud guards, all weather mats and chrome boot guards on. probably didn't need the boot protectors, with it being black plastic, rather than paint but i had bought them so on they went.
Bought all my extra kit from SuperSkoda as it was much cheaper than Skoda UK.

I'll try to update this post with some proper pictures and more feedback but all in all very happy.

2018-05-01 07.22.46 HDR.jpg

Kodiaq Edition 5 seater 2.0 (190) DSG in Petrol Blue.
Electric towbar, Heated windscreen and washers, Assistance Pack, Area view with trailer assist, Travel Assist, Childrens pack, Virtual pedal, Heated steering wheel

Badderss

Re: Edition Review

Post by Badderss » Tue May 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Great, and thorough review. Pleased you're happy with your car.

With regards to the missing media command option, I'd be curious to know how you get on. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get streaming working, across android and Apple devices.
2018 Edition 190 TDI DSG.

Pjmartin

Post by Pjmartin » Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am

Inkarr,

Hopefully these may be of use to you?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Toways ... ning+cable

Both allow you to close the lid on the phone box if you're plugged into the USB port in there.

This is also handy for the Skoda connect and Wifi hotspot:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
2.0Ltr Edition 190 DSG 7 Seats, Candy White
Optional extras:
Fully loaded. :)

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed May 02, 2018 12:50 pm

Cracking looking car.
exactly the colour combo of my last Yeti.
I only went Jungle because I thought a change would be good, Rather wishing I had stuck with Petrol now.

re your comment.....The only gripe i have with the speedo is that the 30mph isn't very prominent, but that may be due to the nature of the vehicle a being KM based abroad and just my experience with other cars.
This has oft times been moaned about, both here and on the Yeti forum.
The should ideally highlight 30, 50, 60 & 70 for U.K. cars, but as the speedo layout is common across the VAG poor little Skoda has no chance of getting it changed , we just have to put up with it like all the other VAG owners (as far as I am aware)
I am very surprised with all the electronic gizmology on the car that they could not have a MULTIPLE speed warning setting on the MFD.
I stuck red dots on my Yetis speedos at the above mentioned speeds just to remind me.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Inkarr

Post by Inkarr » Wed May 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Pjmartin wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am
Inkarr,

Hopefully these may be of use to you?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Toways ... ning+cable

Both allow you to close the lid on the phone box if you're plugged into the USB port in there.

This is also handy for the Skoda connect and Wifi hotspot:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Nice thank you. I bought the braided cable one.

I'm currently using a GiffGaff sim, so a bit more expensive. Used 1Gb already. Need to watch that. Probably won't renew it at the end of the month to be honest currently.

Spoke to Skoda twice today. Initially about the free fuel offer as my dealer hasn't passed it on but then I asked about the streaming function. I was told I didn't need the Media Command.
When I got some time at lunch i tried it in the car and if I opened the Media Command app it said it wasn't activated. So far I called Skoda and asked to speak to their technical team about how it worked. I was told that you couldn't stream a DVD to 2 tablets at which I queried this with the app play store description but it doesn't actually say you can stream only control. I thought I must just be going mad but I looked through the car manual again and sure enough it says you can stream to 2 tablets so looks like even Skoda don't know their tech.
Seems like you do need Media Command enabled in the car though, which I didn't spec 😡

Also spotted a odd paint discrepancy on the rear boot. A strip that is a slightly different colour, so back to the dealers i go, if they return my calls.

64315B82-F4C0-40CD-BF11-9CC3E6D36F21.jpeg

Electric towbar, Heated windscreen and washers, Assistance Pack, Area view with trailer assist, Travel Assist, Childrens pack, Virtual pedal, Heated steering wheel

ExFiesta

Post by ExFiesta » Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 pm

I had a similar paint discrepancy - which I was told was a known issue from putting the protective film on. With a little heat it will go - I left mine facing the sun today and presto, gone!
On order: Petrol Blue Edition 1.4DSG, Beige Leather with Assistance Pack (lane assist, blind spot detection, traffic jam assist, rear traffic alert, emergency assist and ACC), Heated Windscreen, Front and Rear Sensors, Rear view camera, Space saver spare.

Inkarr

Post by Inkarr » Fri May 04, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks ExFiesta. Took it into the dealers and they said it may have been something similar. Thinking about it now, i had the GardX paint protection system put on (not that up to date on the other hard waxes, equivalents etc that others mention on this forum, nor do i have the time to go and do it all myself). Thinking surely this should have been picked up when applying GardX as that needs buffing in.

Anyway a bit more feedback from my new user experience. Just o put a bit of context to this, my last car was a BMW i3 BEV and prior to that a 5.2 V10 Audi S8.

I have mostly been using the car in Eco drive mode. It can seem a bit sluggish to pull off, but other times it is fine. Not figured out why, thought it might be engine temp but there have been times when the engine has been up to temp, 10 miles into a 20 mile commute. That being said it is easy enough to knock it into Sport mode on the gear lever and off I go.
It's never going to be as fast as my previous cars but then i expected as much due to the car size but i am more than happy with the speed uptake when i ask it.
I quite like the Eco mode and the fact it drops into Neutral when i take my foot off the accelerator but i am used to that with the electric car.

Regarding the safety systems/drivers assistance systems;
Automatic Cruise Control: seems a very capable system and has much more setup than previous systems. More distance settings than other vehicles and i like that it remembers what it was previously set to, or can be set to always start at a preset distance, rather than having to reset every time. As mentioned previously it is a shame you can increase by a single mph rather than 5, but that is minor. Most with this stalk setting i have seen are like this. The BMW had buttons on the steering wheel to control it.

Trailer Assist: I took my trailer to the recycling centre and the reversing made backing out a doddle. Just need to be aware of your surroundings as the car obviously swings out depending on how it is trying to orientate itself and the trailer. I wasn't near anything, so it would deal with obstacles i don't know. Probably audio warnings but then you are in control of the speed.

Blind spot Assist: Does what it says on the tin. Not much to say. Just realised i had turned the system on, once on works as expected.

Line Guidance system: It was a bit unnerving the first time i felt the car start turning the steering wheel even though i expected it but i can imagine that it will be very good on motorway journeys. Not daft enough to try and take my hands off the wheel doing it and see how it handles. At least i would be that person who loses lane discipline because they got distracted by the squabbling kids in the back

Rear Traffic Warning: not really had cause to use this yet to comment

Virtual pedal: I wasn't really sure on this, what i thought was a gimmick, but already i'm surprised by the amount of times i have had my hands full when loading the boot, or unloading for that matter, so i'm glad i added it. Only had it not work once or twice in all the times i have used it and been when i'm showing someone annoying ;)

Camera system: All very good and so many different camera angles with the Area View option. Front camera, left/right will come in useful when pulling out of car spaces when you can't see easily. Again not had to use in anger but i can see the advantages.

Heated seats and wheel: Bliss. What more needs to be said. Never had a heated wheel before.

Heated screen: Again only had a slight bit of frost on Tuesday morning and it cleared that in seconds. How it performs with a major frost, i'm hoping it will be a long time before i need to test that.

Retractable towbar: Actually came with the 13 to 7 pin adaptor which I wasn't aware, but the ability to tuck it out of the way is brilliant. So easy to set up and put away. I have bought a tight fitting ball cover so the head doesn't get damaged in the unlikely event stones etc could hit it.

I will get some pictures posted after i wash the car this weekend. Have a nice bank holiday all. :D

ExFiesta

Post by ExFiesta » Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 am

Yeah, I had some treatments applied too where it was missed. But to be fair at certain angles and in certain lights, it was hard to see.

The cruise control can be adjusted in smaller increments by pressing ‘set’ to reduce by 1mph and pulling to ‘resume’ which increases by 1mph (according to manual - I’ve not tried it out yet).

Enjoy the weekend!
On order: Petrol Blue Edition 1.4DSG, Beige Leather with Assistance Pack (lane assist, blind spot detection, traffic jam assist, rear traffic alert, emergency assist and ACC), Heated Windscreen, Front and Rear Sensors, Rear view camera, Space saver spare.

Inkarr

Post by Inkarr » Fri May 04, 2018 7:37 am

ExFiesta wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 am
Yeah, I had some treatments applied too where it was missed. But to be fair at certain angles and in certain lights, it was hard to see.

The cruise control can be adjusted in smaller increments by pressing ‘set’ to reduce by 1mph and pulling to ‘resume’ which increases by 1mph (according to manual - I’ve not tried it out yet).

Enjoy the weekend!
Cheers ExFiesta, i'll give that a try later and get back to you. Nice spot. I hadn't seen that in the manual.

I guess as a point is should mention the Apple Car Play system.

Apple Car Play: I use this a lot as i use Spotify. My only gripe with the system is that on the Columbus system, when on the home screen, the map is on the left and media and telephone are on the right in small boxes. it is a shame that these don't actually display the info and just say that CarPlay is in use. Would be nice to display the track info. Clicking them does take you to the CarPlay interface though.

Rear window blinds: As part of the childrens pack i have the rear window blinds. they are great for both deflecting the sun for the kids and giving that extra privacy for the rear. If they are down though all i can here from the back is the ping as my, nearly 2 year old pings the grab handle on the blind. While i haven't done it it is nice you could put the window down with the blind up.

Sat Nav: The Sat Nav seems very good. Possibly not as good as the previous one in my BMW but then again i haven't really taxed it yet. My only issue is the route display could be a bit more obvious. I am colourblind and it is sometimes hard to see the route against the other colour of the roads.

Inkarr

Post by Inkarr » Fri May 04, 2018 12:52 pm

ExFiesta wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 am

Enjoy the weekend!

You were correct ExFiesta. Set reduced by 1mph and resume increased. I’ll update my original post. Good spot 😀

Return to “Members Gallery”