Another petrol blue

Post pictures of your Skoda Kodiaq here
Deleted User 2278

Re: Another petrol blue

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:45 am

PoloGaz wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:15 am
Well since corona has stopped all my travelling my mileage has only crept up by 100 miles since the middle of March.

Using the Fuelly app, tracking 13066 miles my average MPG is 38.7 with a high of 43.5 and a low of 27.9. My best single trip on the onboard was 52mpg over 109 miles at an average of 53mph

The car does seem to run more smoothly now. I'd be a lot happier if I could disable coasting though.
That's about the same as my MPG with a 1.5 4x4 DSG. I drive everywhere in ECO mode so no idea if it makes a difference. I think the coasting only happens in ECO mode but could be mistaken. I like the coasting mode. You can disable it by very slightly touching the brake to re-engage engine braking. Then to get back into coasting mode just very slightly touch the gas. I find it becomes automatic very quickly.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:21 am

Well you two are lucky! my post lock in consumption (all urban , short cold) is 28mpg.
I too always drive in 'eco' but find it a real pain in the *rse having to re select it every time I start up. I am not at all convinced that it makes any difference. I think it is just a so to the green brigade as is the annoying stop/go.
Sportline .1.5DSG. Race Blue. S/s spare, KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 am

I don't think my lock down mileage counts as mileage. I do 5 miles a week which is a single round trip to a supermarket and then alternating between two cars so the Kodiaq has not used a gallon yet. I wish I had purchased the option for individual driver modes since I think that does remember the mode. It is a pain.

So much for keyless ignition. My previous car you put the key in the ignition, turned the key and off you went. The Kodiaq with its keyless ignition is way more complicated. Press the brake, push the button, wait a few seconds for the infotainment to boot, push the mode selection five times to get to ECO, wait for that to settle before finally pushing the button to turn off the useless stop/start. Still it has technology in it, that is the main thing!

Zach

Post by Zach » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:32 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 am
So much for keyless ignition. My previous car you put the key in the ignition, turned the key and off you went. The Kodiaq with its keyless ignition is way more complicated. Press the brake, push the button, wait a few seconds for the infotainment to boot, push the mode selection five times to get to ECO, wait for that to settle before finally pushing the button to turn off the useless stop/start. Still it has technology in it, that is the main thing!
Well even with a traditional key system you'd still have to change the drive mode and turn off the start/stop so what's the point in complaining about keyless ignition.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:38 pm

Zach wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:32 pm
Well even with a traditional key system you'd still have to change the drive mode and turn off the start/stop so what's the point in complaining about keyless ignition.
Zach, I agree and this really goes to the heart of the matter. What is the purpose of keyless ignition?

For all my previous cars and my wifes current car, you put the key in the ignition, turn it, and drive away. The car is started in the state you wish it to be in with the minimum of fuss. Now we have all sorts of configurations available to the driver, different modes and stop/start. You'd think it would be possible to start a car with the same minimum of fuss. You'd think keyless ignition would mean the car would just start in the state you want it. But no, at least not on my car, press this and press that, wait a while and then press something else. We have computers for that sort of thing don't we? When I configure my TV it switches on with one button on the remote and all those configurations are loaded, I don't have to re-configure the TV by hand each time I switch it on.

If keyless ignition can't switch on my car as easily as I can switch on my TV exactly what is the purpose of it? How is it helping me? How is it better than a conventional car key with drive mode and stop/start that would need manual configuration every time too?

I like technology, but I dislike technology done badly. It needs to have a purpose and I don't see that purpose in the keyless ignition in my Kodiaq.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 am

Silverbear,
I agree.
The only advantage of keyless as far as I can see it save a conventional key wearing your trouser pocket out (but not even that if it's a 'jacknife key') ;)
my main gripes are stop/start and drive mode inability to lock on chosen mode. If 2 year old Golfs can do it why can't 2019 Skodas?
Apparently Skoda have now enabled that function, but I enquired why it couldn't be adjusted by OBD and my dealer techy (very clever chap) couldn't find out why, so he gave up and asked Skoda tech dept who were as helpful as usual and said "you just can't!"
Sportline .1.5DSG. Race Blue. S/s spare, KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Zach wrote:
Silverbear wrote:
Totally agree. The Keyless system when linked to driver settings for each key fob actually makes life easier when you have more than one regular driver. For the extra £45 it was worth it.

The Ludites will always complaining about technology on cars. I would argue that Skoda tech is not done badly and certainly is comparable to any other manufacturers. I have had very few issues with any of the Skoda tech and apps.

There is no point arguing with the obvious technophobes on here as they will never agree, probably too busy playing with their TV settings or admiring their certificates on the office wall. It’s amusing that people buy cars knowing full well what technology it has and then complain about it later, especially when a good percentage of the time it’s either operator error, lack of understanding or laziness of not reading the manual.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm
Zach wrote:
Silverbear wrote:
Totally agree. The Keyless system when linked to driver settings for each key fob actually makes life easier when you have more than one regular driver. For the extra £45 it was worth it.

The Ludites will always complaining about technology on cars. I would argue that Skoda tech is not done badly and certainly is comparable to any other manufacturers. I have had very few issues with any of the Skoda tech and apps.

There is no point arguing with the obvious technophobes on here as they will never agree, probably too busy playing with their TV settings or admiring their certificates on the office wall. It’s amusing that people buy cars knowing full well what technology it has and then complain about it later, especially when a good percentage of the time it’s either operator error, lack of understanding or laziness of not reading the manual.
I agree, £45 isn't much, I wish this had been explained to me when I specced my car. Who'd have thought the £100 drive mode selection option on my SE would not remember the settings! I'd have forked out the £45, I thought that was to remember multiple drivers, not for making it remember one set of settings.The drive mode selection should only be offered with the memory.

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:18 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm
I would argue that Skoda tech is not done badly and certainly is comparable to any other manufacturers. I have had very few issues with any of the Skoda tech and apps.
I think that is probably true. We are agreeing lots tonight. One area where Skoda and indeed the VW's I have driven fall down is stop/start. Mazda have this down perfectly, I drove a CX-3 a few months back and that is how stop/start is done, far better than on the Kodiaq. The real test for stop/start is heavy stop/start traffic, remote country roads are easy for any stop/start but in London traffic the Mazda stops when appropriate and leaves the engine running when appropriate. In the Skoda I just turn it off until I get out into the country and then there is so little traffic it hardly gets used anyway. I didn't like much else about the CX-3 especially the awful noise the engine made at low revs, unlike the lovely quiet Kodiaq, but for stop/start the Mazda is more or less perfect.

Zach

Post by Zach » Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 am

If you take your car to a VW electrician they may be able to retrofit it, as it's all software.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows