Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Winter is coming! Winter tyre recommendations?

16K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  andwoo505 
#1 ·
Hi - welcome to my first post on this board :idea:

I've considered winter tyres before - colleagues who chose them for company cars in the past have sworn by them - but I felt that the 4x4 traction on the Superb Combi was adequate. At the same time I recognise that often the bigger problem is stopping, not traction. Whilst we don't get so much snow here nowadays we do get plenty of cold rainfall and stopping a 1.7 tonne Kodiaq in cold standing water is different to bringing the lighter, lower Superb Combi to a halt.

I can see that this board has members from all sorts of locations where winter tyres are common, or even mandatory, so I thought that I would ask for some recommendations or comments about what's available. Alternatives which I'm considering include;

Continental WinterContact™ TS 850 P
Hankook i*cept Evo 2

I see that the Michelin CrossClimate SUV is now available in 19" diameter but only 235/55 R19.

What are your preferred Winter tyres and why?

See less See more
#2 ·
A recent UK test here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/winter-driving-special/93097/winter-tyres-test-2017-best-tyre-brands-reviewed-and

But generally depends on where you drive and what are the roads.
The folks from Scandinavia seem to need different tyres then the folks in Europe.
What is best depends on whether your roads are dry, wet, snowy or icy in the winter, and what is the surrounding temperature.

If Michelin CrossClimate: read the reviews and watch some videos on YouTube to get an impression what these tyres can and cannot achieve.

#3 ·
elcamino78 said:
A recent UK test here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/winter-driving-special/93097/winter-tyres-test-2017-best-tyre-brands-reviewed-and

But generally depends on where you drive and what are the roads.
The folks from Scandinavia seem to need different tyres then the folks in Europe.
What is best depends on whether your roads are dry, wet, snowy or icy in the winter, and what is the surrounding temperature.

If Michelin CrossClimate: read the reviews and watch some videos on YouTube to get an impression what these tyres can and cannot achieve.
Thanks elcamino78.

I'd looked at that test but I'm sorry to say that I'm very sceptical about tyre tests. In the last three that I've read the tyre manufacturer who hosts the test always comes first... I'm interested in real-world recommedations from actual people.

I should also have made myself clearer, I'm in Scotland so the challenge for me is heavy rain at temperatures only a little above freezing. For the next six months :lol:

#4 ·
My take is that the differences (between the premium brands) are small. Between the manufacturers and the models.
Mind, there will be new (improved) model of a tyre next year, and yours will be "outdated". And even worse in 3-5 years.

So I don't really care about the small differences.
There isn't anything groundbreaking, just tiny, evolutionary steps.

Most of us aren't competition drivers; we won't see the tiny differences in parameters in the everyday life.

Tests/Reviews:
Of course you should read multiple reviews, maybe from different countries (that prefer different local manufacturers), but the pattern is mostly the same. The premium brands are better. Differences are small.

Some tyres are optimized mainly snow and ice.
Some tyres are reasonable on dry roads, while acceptable on snow and ice.
Some tyres are very good on dry roads, but are failing on ice.
Some tyres can handle aquaplaning, some not so good.

For Kodiaq, the selection is relatively small (especially, in the 215/65 R17 size). Two, three decent tyres. 215/60 has wider selection, but not approved for Kodiaq.

I think if you can afford a premium-brand tyre, any of those is very good (Continental, Dunlop, GoodYear, maybe others).

The outcome of most winter-tyre reviews is:
- Any winter-tyres are much better than sticking with summer tyre.
- Premium-brands are better then the cheap brands.
- All of the premium-brand recent models are good, there are no ground-breaking differences.

The biggest risk is to drive a summer tyre when it snows/freezes, and to drive a winter-tyre in warm weather (substantially above 7 deg.C; brake distance extends by about 20%).

#5 ·
Well just fitted mine and I've tried something different With a Michelin Cross climate, actually these are what Skoda recommended so I was pleased to give them a go especially as they voucher they gave me covered most of the cost of them...

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate

I've been thinking about these for a while, they look a load like the early winters I use to run, I know they are not a true winter, but I've wanted to try them for a while. They say they are 85% winter with 85% summer.
The
So far I'm impressed, I'm running them on 17inch steel wheels with a narrower wheel and chunkier tyre. 215-65-17 pitched up against the 18 inch they are the same size as they 18's are lower profile.

Ok, so far I've noticed no difference in handling.
They are superb in the rain, they channel the water amazingly well.
Off road in the paddock behind out house they are good, self cleaning sheds the mud quickly.
I've not tried them in the snow yet, but on the cold frost this morning no problems

One last thing I've noticed the average MPG go UP! yes my 1.4 4x4 was getting 35-37 mpg I'm now getting 37-42mpg... that is unless my wife drives it as she tends to drive it like she stole it :D I won't talk about those numbers they make me cry..

Attachments

#8 ·
I've always used Continental TS830's or TS850's and can't fault them.

Excellent grip levels on snow and slush.

#9 ·
Lord Muck said:
Well just fitted mine and I've tried something different With a Michelin Cross climate, actually these are what Skoda recommended so I was pleased to give them a go especially as they voucher they gave me covered most of the cost of them...

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate

I've been thinking about these for a while, they look a load like the early winters I use to run, I know they are not a true winter, but I've wanted to try them for a while. They say they are 85% winter with 85% summer.
The
So far I'm impressed, I'm running them on 17inch steel wheels with a narrower wheel and chunkier tyre. 215-65-17 pitched up against the 18 inch they are the same size as they 18's are lower profile.

Ok, so far I've noticed no difference in handling.
They are superb in the rain, they channel the water amazingly well.
Off road in the paddock behind out house they are good, self cleaning sheds the mud quickly.
I've not tried them in the snow yet, but on the cold frost this morning no problems

One last thing I've noticed the average MPG go UP! yes my 1.4 4x4 was getting 35-37 mpg I'm now getting 37-42mpg... that is unless my wife drives it as she tends to drive it like she stole it :D I won't talk about those numbers they make me cry..
Do the CrossClimates have the snowflake/three mountain peaks symbol on them? or are they just marked M+S?

#10 ·
A great review here by Honest John

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2015-02/michelin-crossclimate-tyres/

It says they are 3 Peaks mountain snowflake and are certified to meet with EU regulations for snow tyres.

To be fair if I get on with them, when I wear out the OEM 18's I'll probably fit them as standard and seek the second set.

Oh, other than these! I've been using Nokian and they are superb...

#11 ·
I know it is late a bit but I went for Goodyear UG Performance SUV G1 215/65R17 99 V after a thorough research. Michelin is usually fine but recent test results are not really supportive.

#12 ·
After all my dithering I've gone for the Cross-Climates as the cold weather wet braking performance was better than Winters in all the tests I read, and most of the time that is what I will be dealing with in the hills of Lancashire and the West Pennine Moors.

#13 ·
I've gone for the crossclimates too; it was the best compromise for me and the roads here in the South. Will feedback once significant mileage has been done on them.

Edit: amended typo

#14 ·
Well the snow is due on Sunday and I have to go to work first thing... this will be a good test for the cross climates

#15 ·
Lord Muck said:
Well the snow is due on Sunday and I have to go to work first thing... this will be a good test for the cross climates
Let us know! It's snowing here but the tyres don't arrive until Weds/Thurs :(

#16 ·
So far so good, I'm really impressed... they really cut into the snow, lots of grip and with the comfort and smoothness of a summer tyre.

#17 ·
hI, about to go for all season tyres, and looking at Vredestein Quatrac 5 or Michelin Crossclimate. £119 and £160 respectively on Camskill for 19 inch tyres. It's just a contract hire that I have so assumed that cheapest just to stick these on the current alloy wheels . Local Skoda dealership in Glasgow is doing 17 inch steel wheels PLUS winter tyres for £550 inc VAT . Seems very good . Seems that they are mid range and "GT" is the make. Must be OK if Skoda are selling them but I've never heard of them .Anyone any thoughts ? Something that I could sell at the end of the lease, and no risk of alloys getting damaged during changeover . Main thing though is family safety . Still don't understand why Skoda wouldn't fit all-season tyres on these as standard . thanks in advance

#18 ·
BLACOE said:
hI, about to go for all season tyres, and looking at Vredestein Quatrac 5 or Michelin Crossclimate. £119 and £160 respectively on Camskill for 19 inch tyres. It's just a contract hire that I have so assumed that cheapest just to stick these on the current alloy wheels . Local Skoda dealership in Glasgow is doing 17 inch steel wheels PLUS winter tyres for £550 inc VAT . Seems very good . Seems that they are mid range and "GT" is the make. Must be OK if Skoda are selling them but I've never heard of them .Anyone any thoughts ? Something that I could sell at the end of the lease, and no risk of alloys getting damaged during changeover . Main thing though is family safety . Still don't understand why Skoda wouldn't fit all-season tyres on these as standard . thanks in advance
If you are on a contract hire then you contractually need to replace tyres with a premium brand (or at least have them fitted on return). When I spoke to Skoda Finance about this they confirmed the make needs to match the ones supplied (Hankook in my case) or another premium brand.

I asked what they considered an premium brand and it was Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Bridgestone or Continental. If another make is fitted they may insist on having them replaced on return of the vehicle.

Don't assume that what the dealer fits is acceptable as I can bet the dealer doesn't know about the finance contract hire T&C's and I can also bet Skoda Finance won't care either.

#19 ·
Hi, 2.0TSI due to arrive in March (I hope!) but wondering if I should fit Michelin Cross Climates from day 1?

Wondering from those who have been running them for a year now whether they are still as happy? Could you give us an update please? Thanks

#20 ·
andwoo505 said:
Hi, 2.0TSI due to arrive in March (I hope!) but wondering if I should fit Michelin Cross Climates from day 1?

Wondering from those who have been running them for a year now whether they are still as happy? Could you give us an update please? Thanks
Hi there,

I have only just done 90 miles on Crossclimates since collecting my Kodiaq before Christmas. however, they are very smooth and quiet as I expected. I Had mine fitted from day 1 by the dealer, although I bought them from an online store and had them delivered to the dealer as it was cheaper (they recommended that as they couldn't get near the prices). I sold my Pirellis on here with only 9 delivery miles on them and got a bit of money back towards the Michelins.

Other than the reviews I went for the Crossclimates as I fitted them to my wife's MPV last year and we have run them for over a year now. They are a big improvement in every way over the Continental summer tyres that were on it from new. I fully intend to stick with Crossclimates for all my cars now unless something better comes along. The new Conti all-season is supposed to be amazing, but is not available yet in the 235/50/19.

Anyway, from 12 months (and 90 miles) experience I can certainly recommend the CCs as a realistic alternative to summer and winter tyre swapping in the UK, which I have always done up to now. I would never go back to running summer tyres all year after having experienced the extra grip and reassurance of winter/AS tyres.

I hope this helps,
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.