Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have had (at long last!) my 4x4 / 2.0 TDI190bhp Kodiaq for a couple of months now.
Everything seems to be fine but for the following:
Since my very first ride, I noticed/heard wind noise coming from the front at high speeds (from 120/130kmh upwards, especially 140-150) .
Not whistles from (unclosed or else) lateral windows: just general (and erratic) wind noise due to wind impacting the windshield at high speed.
Not at all unbearable, but noticeable.
Especially to my rather sensitive ears (I just have good hearing, am no Superman).
(Also, I came from a 2006 Toyota Avensis SW, and had never had wind noise problems other than in those rare occasions in which I could hear noise from the left-wing mirror over 160kmh).
I hear it much less with Canton on, but can't and don't want Canton on at all times.
I had the car checked at the (official local Skoda) garage, but was told "it's normal, everything is where it should be and closes as it should close, it's an SUV, all other Kodiaqs do it, you should hear a Q5 at 140kmh, blablabla".
I asked them if there could be a fix anyway (thicker windows, silicone gel, boh).
They said "no, once the aerodynamics of a car is done, it's done, and there's no such thing as thicker windows, but don't worry, you'll get used to it".
Since I'd much rather fix it than getting used to it, here I am asking my fellows Kodiaq owner if they'd happen to know of a possibile solution.
Pls, pls, abstain from comments such as "I don't hear wind noise with my K. at high speed", as this wouldn't help a bit.
Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Could you please put car details on your signature and your location on your profile. This would help people know the details when trying to help you. I assume you are not U.K. based as you speak of Km. this may therefore be a slight difference in spec from the U.K. cars. Hence requiring your details.
I'm afraid nothing comes immediately to mind.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I find the Kodiaq a quiet car compared to what I am used to. Not what you want but my view as you asked. You suggest the faster you go the noisier it gets. That's physics for you. The car has a bluff front with large wing mirrors. I don't think they have done a bad job on noise in the cabin considering the aerodynamics of the design. You also compare the cabin noise to the Avensis. An aerodynamically slippery saloon compared to a tall SUV. Apart from using noise cancelling technology of some sort (not aware of any after market system though) I cannot see how you can improve it.

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
There isn't much you can do unfortunately. As per another reply, it's because of the aerodynamics of the car. Unless you're able to get a thicker windscreen then you are out of luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Canton has noise cancelling hence why it's quieter when canton is switched on, check bonnet and wing lines / gaps and any loose trim on front of the car. Misaligned bonnet when closed will cause noise at speed.

Also check the headlamp washer covers are retracting fully, other than this it's unlikely you will be able to do much with it. Unless you change wingmirrors or grill / intakes at the front it's unlikely to go away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew something could come out of this!
For starters, I'll try to turn Canton on but with no volume (or very low volume) and see if the noise cancelling system helps somehow...
Thank you Esnw33430.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
The Canton system does not have any sort of noise cancelling. No mention of it in the owners manual either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Kolix,
I' ve noticed the same as you since the very first days (I have the car for 5 months now). It gave the impression that there was a hole somewhere at the corner of the door window and that air was flowing at high speeds! Put my hand several times there but no air flow could be sensed! I got used to it very soon, so I don't bother anymore.
But, a friend of mine had a similar issue and said he sorted it out. How? He said that he turned off the voice enhancement feature (echo) and it disappeared. It could be the sound of air picked up by the mic and enhanced by the sound system. I have not tried this, since it doesn't bother me, but you could give it a try and tell us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've kept voice enhancement off since the beginning as it created some weird acoustics.

I will try the Canton thing, though.

Speaking of Canton, is it just my car, or the only way to hear the left-door speaker is to adjust the Canton Optimizer to "driver"? If I adjust it to "all speakers" or to "front speakers" no music comes from the left-door speaker...
[I drive on the left, hence the reference to the "left-door speaker"]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Interesting, just googled canton and Harman. It does appear that the canton system does incorporate the Harman noise cancelling tech on the Kodiaq. There is a news article on it. Would make sense with the internal mics for voice amplification. I have always had the system enabled and genuinely experienced a very quiet cabin. Maybe that is the difference here. I will switch off the system and see if the cabin is noticeably more noisy. If it is included though that would be a good benefit to call out. Maybe I missed it, the options list was long!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll then try to play a bit with Canton on (no audio) and voice amplification (on/off) to see if I get somewhere.
Thank you everybody.
(By the way, other than the above, it's a hell of a car)

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Zach said:
aimlisted said:
Zach said:
The Canton system does not have any sort of noise cancelling. No mention of it in the owners manual either.
Canton beg to differ
https://www.canton.de/en/skoda-en
It's a bunch of crop. It's not active noise cancellation like ford's. Just speed dependant volume - https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/425541-canton-noise-cancellation/
Halosonic ANC supposed to be according to press release

Dynamic vehicle and road noise cancellation ensures undisturbed listening pleasure while CANTON surround sound technology guarantees a true real-life listening experiences. The sound system is optional providing a fantastic value-for-money ratio in a

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Sounds like rubbish to me, seeing that nobody can really hear a clear difference. I don't hear an audible difference between a canton equipped car and one without. The ford system really makes a differed unlike the Canton system. I just went for a drive and went at high speeds with Canton on and off - no difference at all. Happy to be proven wrong if someone has professional equipment and can do an A/B test.

Looking at their website, at most the Canton system only has the engine noise cancellation. I recently had a Superb Sportline with Canton and the tyre roar was terrible compared to the Kodiaq.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've also noticed the noise and it's the only negative thing about the car that I have found

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am very pleased for noise level in my K. It is even quieter than my XC60 was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Practice always beats Theory.
I've tried Canton on with low volume/off, combined with internal amplification on (at various levels) or off, and really there is no difference.
Wind noise is still there.
All I really noticed is that I'm sort of getting used to it.
best

1 - 20 of 26 Posts