Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Easter all ye Kodiaq owners, orderers, and interested parties.

So, whilst I await the bear to be built and be delivered, i'm pondering 'entertainment' options for kids in the back, so a few questions:

1) tablet holders - anyone bought these? any good? can you use them on the backs of the 2nd row, so the 3rd row passengers can use? (they need distraction from the limited space after all!); i'm thinking of getting these from superskoda etc depending on dealer price (which i assume to be heavily marked up)

2) movie streaming and wifi - at present, i use seat-back DVDs in the car (resisted for ages, but the peace and quiet on first long journey was worth it!), but i'm considering switching to some cheap tablets instead (e.g. kindle fire, 34.99 at present); i read somewhere here that the columbus system (i'm getting Edition) can stream to tablets over Wifi - is this standard? anyone tried it? ideally i'd do this from a central SD card, but also heard there's a DVD player that can be used for same thing....again, any experience on this? (there is the 'media command' option add-on, but the dealer said that was so others in the car can control the infotainment - which i don't want - but is it necessary for streaming? seems expensive to me.

just planning ahead...would really appreciate any real-world feedback.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the tablet holder and it does its job well, providing the chrome headrest poles are the same distance apart on the front and rear seats then you can use them on both.

If you use the Columbus DVD to play movies then you lose the picture when you start driving... not sure if that will be the same if the DVD is streamed to another device (or even if it is possible?)

G

·
Here's a solution I already have in my Fabia and will work in any car.

I have a tablet mount like this one - goes across between two headrests so may also work in front of the third row of seats. You can add multiple holders on to the bar:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291760206408

I then have one of these that I plug into the power socket in the boot with a cigarette socket to USB adapter. It creates a wifi hotspot and any files on a USB stick that you plug into it can be streamed to any devices connected to its wifi - so if 2 kids want to watch different things at same time on separate tablets but from files on the same USB memory stick they can do. There's an iOS app to access the content from the USB stick, I'm sure there's an Android version too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I00J8DW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_UJZ8ybXMZ6F6T

If mine are watching the same thing I'll Bluetooth their iPad to the car radio for the sound to come through speakers, or sometimes they'll have their headphones plugged in to listen on their own.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Get the OEM tablet holder for the Superb. Costs less, and has the same part number as for the Kodiaq. I got one for £5 off eBay and it was identical to one in the showroom, plus with the added benefit it's a genuine part.

It does fit on the headrest of 2nd row so those in the cheap seats can still enjoy a bit of entertainment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good tip off - I thought they might be same part. And cheers for confirming they fit the back seats too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I believe the 3rd row can't see tablets on the tablet holders. Otherwise I think they are great. You can also reattach business suit holder or bag holder, too. I am not sure if the package contains one or two holders?

I am not sure if streaming is allowed from DVD player but if you add Media Control (SmartLink + Wireless RSE) option you may stream mp4 (iOS/Android) or divx (Android only) to up to two tablets. So you may watch a movie on both tablets at the same time and (I hope so) listen audio on car speakers.

A lot of my friends have been trying to convince me to buy un-original equipment like navi, movie players, etc., but the originals are the only ones well integrated in the car and they are the only solutions that actually look nice (without cables hanging around).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks romanv - anyone who actually has car and setup able to confirm any of this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
romanv said:
I believe the 3rd row can't see tablets on the tablet holders. Otherwise I think they are great. You can also reattach business suit holder or bag holder, too. I am not sure if the package contains one or two holders?
Although not yet an owner - my car is somewhere between factory and Emden - I have tried fitting the tablet holder on the 2nd row headrests in a showroom model and it fitted in fine. I'll gladly post photos here in 2-3 weeks time when my car is here.

In UK spec, the tablet holders are £50 for a pair. You are right that the "smart holder" that fits between the headrest can take other accessories like a coat hanger or bag hook. I can't see the point of the latter though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone - romanv you imply that media command option is necessary but in the UK that's an 85pound accessory. Very steep when a gizmo off amazon like that posted above costs only 20quid.

Moominpapa - thanks for the confirmation that they fit.

·
Registered
724 Posts
In Slovenia it is 70 eur. Streaming is just one of many functionalities. It is not cheap but it is well integrated.

From Google Play:

Media Command brings features for users fully controlling the Infotainment system from their mobile devices, including
Radio control
Playing music from an external data storage ( SD card or USB)
Volume control
Navigation control

Media Command Version brings a new feature for users controlling the infotainment system. The set of these features increases comfort of the car crew.
The function for Infotainment system control
Remote switch on/off and control of media (video or music) playback including the tablet volume control in up to two connected tablets
Functions for user with a tablet/smartphone
The possibility to view information about places of interest. Information is obtained from the Wikipedia database
Display of the car data including average consumption, average speed, mileage and driving time.
Display of the outdoor temperature

1 - 11 of 11 Posts