Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read something on the Practical Caravan website by David Motton that said the following..... "...the 2.0 TDI 150PS manual seven-seater isn't homologated for towing at all." The link is below. I've read elsewhere on this forum a reference to some Kodiaqs not being capable of having a swing-out tow ball but does this mean a permanent one is OK? There is also a mention of a lower nose-weight limit on some Kodiaqs, as well as a reduction in towing capacity. I was hoping to buy a SE 2.0 TDI 150PS 4x4 (manual), and use it to tow a caravan with a MTPLM of 1265kg. In essence, which Kodiaqs can tow and which cannot? Secondly, are there other considerations such as a fixed towball interfering with parking sensors?

Thanks

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/blog/42444-the-hottest-new-tow-cars-of-2017#VZ9djv0EYUbHYErD.99

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I must be a complete prat!
I spent ages yesterday going through nearly all the models checking on towbars weights etc using the configurator and it has disappeared. I did get distracted at one point and so must have forgotten to click 'submit'.
Anyway.......to paraphrase my previous diatribe,
It would appear that all engines/transmissions can have an electric swing away tow bar BUT only FIVE SEATERS. I can find no mention of tow bars for SE with 7 seats (option) or SE L and Edition (7 seats standard) Very strange. You could ring Skoda Customer care (in the U.K. 03330037504) and ask. I wouldn't waste your time with the dealers, they have not been on their knowledge courses yet.
You can tow with the 1.4 125bhp manual but only 1500 Kg as far as I remember whereas the larger engines manual or auto have a capability of 250Kg.
One should bear in mind that it is only legal to tow 80% of the cars weight.
Kodiaq weight range is 1,502 to 1,795 kg depending on engine/gearbox/trim.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Colin and Zach

Thanks Colin. Received this info from Practical Caravan..........
The 2.0 TDI 150PS 4x4 seven-seat manual cannot tow at all. The Kodiaq with the same engine and gearbox but five seats can tow. It has a kerbweight of 1714kg, a legal towing limit of 2000kg and a maximum noseweight of 100kg. Regards, David Motton

This is what I got back from Skoda Customer Care.........
Electrically folding tow bar with adaptor: The release is controlled electronically using a switch in the luggage compartment. An LED indicator in the tow bar switch provides the tow bar position information: when the tow bar is secured (out or folded away) the indicator is on permanently or flashes if the tow bar is not secured against movement and needs to be secured manually. Not available on SE L and Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS 4x4.

It seems to me that the 7 seaters are not authorised to tow, unless they have DSG, although I have yet to try the configurator, as Colin suggests.

The legal towing limit is that the Gross Train weight/mass of your car/caravan combo must be more than the max mass of car plus max mass of caravan. Caravan groups suggest that the absolute limit for a very experienced caravaner is a van that's no more than 100% of the kerb weight of the car. However, they highly recommend that the limit should be 85% of kerb weight for the vast majority of caravaners.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Since the 7 seaters are being promoted as 'FAMILY CARS' I would have thought it would be a serious 'own goal' if they couldn't tow. Wot? no family caravan holidays?? Simply Clever could not be that Simply Stoopid!
According to the Skoda data sheets that Zach has put on (above) they ALL have towing weights listed.
I have just now written to Practical Caravanning, asking where they got their information from and offering to send them the figures above.
We'll see what happens.
Watch this space!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right Colin. What Skoda Customer Care is saying contradicts their own data sheet (as provided by Zach above). This confusion may prompt some caravaners to look elsewhere (other than Skoda) which is unfortunate given Skoda's previously impressive track record in the tow car stakes.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
David Mott from PC mag is taking it up with Skoda. We shall have to wait and see if this turns anything up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My SE L 2.0 TDI 150 PS 4x4 DSG . 7 seat. is ordered this week with the electric tow bar and trailer assist. Steers the trailer when reversing!
Caravan is a Baily cadiz with a MTPLM of 1723kg.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Since the 7 seaters are being promoted as 'FAMILY CARS' I would have thought it would be a serious 'own goal' if they couldn't tow. Wot? no family caravan holidays?? Simply Clever could not be that Simply Stoopid!
According to the Skoda data sheets that Zach has put on (above) they ALL have towing weights listed.
I have just now written to Practical Caravanning, asking where they got their information from and offering to send them the figures above.
We'll see what happens.
Watch this space!
According to the dealer and Skoda UK you can only order the electric tow bar on a DSG vehicle.
I wanted manual but had to order DSG just for towing my Bailey Unicorn Vigo 1500kg mtplm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
RCRCRC said:
My SE L 2.0 TDI 150 PS 4x4 DSG . 7 seat. is ordered this week with the electric tow bar and trailer assist. Steers the trailer when reversing!
Caravan is a Baily cadiz with a MTPLM of 1723kg.
I would check you're inside the weight limit. 1723kgs must be nearly 100% match?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
According to the tables near the top of this thread total weight of car is 2352 Kg Max weight of 'van with brakes (obviously) is 2500Kg Manual 2000Kg DSG.
But I am no longer a caravanner so don't ask me . What do I know? :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive been following this topic with great interest as I am seriously interested to buy a Kodiaq, but need to be able to tow !
Just a suggestion; could it be that when heavily loaded with 7 persons (higher vehicle weight compared to 5 persons), that the offered manual transmission either

a) has insufficient clutch capability for the required 'towing' hill start-off tests from a stand-still at this heavy 7 person weight + a tow ?
b) does not have a low enough 1st gear ratio for the engine torque for the hill start ?
c) a combination of both ?

Could this explain why the automatic transmission ( with different clutch and more gears ... meaning also most likely a slightly lower first gear ratio) is offered with a tow bar option with 7 passengers, while the manual transmission with the exact same passenger load is not ??

Just a thought ... :geek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
What a (Four thirds pie are cubed times two) Skoda have made of this. I have a 1.4 petrol SE L manual with swing away !!! ball supplied in March!!! Incidentally the tow ball is for a 10cwt trailer--so no problems--I hope.
I was forced into a 7 seater by myopic marketing as I wanted a good spec. Now they have changed their mind.
I spoke to a Skoda Executive in Feb and he said that they did not understand the problem.
Answers on the above puzzle to the caravan fraternity--If you read it to yourself it makes sense.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My dealer tells me today that I can get a tow bar fitted aftermarket, but I'll await confirmation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the 190 diesel dsg edition with 7 sweaters and electric towbar. There did seem a lot of confusion when I ordered back in January so I went for the safe option!

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's the 'Type Approval' thats lacking and will be reflected on the plated weights per the VIN plate of each vehicle. If that says you can't tow then legally you can't tow. Should also be evident on the V5. Examples on a postcard please . I wonder how many caravaners have a shock coming, because the dealers and even Skoda Customer Services are confused about this issue and have been dishing out incorrect information.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It does appear to just be the 2.0 tdi 150 4x4 7 seat MANUALS that are affected. i.e. SLE, Edition,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can someone explain, from a technical perspective, what is actually different at the rear end of the vehicle between the 150DSG and 190DSG units.

I notice from the spec sheet that the 150DSG also has a slightly smaller fuel tank than others......

Font Line Material property Screenshot Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
All 4X4 options have 60 litre tanks, while 2WD cars have 58 litres. Perhaps they all travel similar distance on a full tank? :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anybody know why the vertical loads are different on the 5 seater to the 7 seater ie 80kilos on the 7 seater 100kilos on the 5 seater. Is the suspension modified for 7 seats. I tow a caravan but will never use the rearmost seats whilst towing so I would like too increase the vertical load to 100kilos
Regards Legacy2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts