Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Anyone having problems with the stop start function on their cars?. Mine seems to have a mind of its own deciding when it wants to stop the engine when I'm stationary or not. I have checked the manual and have tried to ensure I am doing what is required for it to operate,but some days it works fine then others it doesn't at all!........very confusing......Other than that loving the car

·
Registered
188 Posts
As it says in the manual:
"The system function depends on many factors. Some of them are down to the driver, while others are systemic and can neither be influenced nor identified.
For this reason, the system may react differently in situations which seem identical from the driver's perspective."

In the manual for my current Superb, it makes it a bit clearer that the Autostop will check through quite a few things before allowing the engine to stop. It won't stop if, for example:

The engine is not yet up to temp
The battery is not showing a full charge
There is an unusually high electrical load
There is an unusually high aircon demand
Your front wheels are turned significantly (so it "thinks" you're waiting to make a manoeuvre)
Your flashers are on (ditto)
You have just been nudging forward slightly in a queue
You are not on level ground (so may need the brakes/steering to be powered up)

As we get into the colder weather, the first three on that list will be very relevant for the first several miles of each journey. I wouldn't worry too much until you KNOW that it should have cut out and regularly doesn't.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a screen inside the infotainment that will show why the stop/start isn't cutting in.
I've had things like too much slope, or the wheels being turned too far from centre being reasons for the engine keeping running

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
If it stops when you don't want it to (most of the time in my case) Such as waiting for a gap in heavy traffic to pull out from a side road........with foot firmly on brake pedal tug the steering wheel left or right and the engine will star and it won't stop.
Mine has started stopping (if you see what I mean!) before the car has even come to a halt, a right pain in the @rse if I am just slowing down at a clear junction

·
Registered
61 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
If it stops when you don't want it to (most of the time in my case) Such as waiting for a gap in heavy traffic to pull out from a side road........with foot firmly on brake pedal tug the steering wheel left or right and the engine will star and it won't stop.
Mine has started stopping (if you see what I mean!) before the car has even come to a halt, a right pain in the @rse if I am just slowing down at a clear junction
Mine too.
That's not too clever when you consider that once the engine cuts out you lose your power steering. :roll:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Rob M said:
Colin Lambert said:
Mine too.
That's not too clever when you consider that once the engine cuts out you lose your power steering. :roll:
Bit of a moot point surely, as under the circumstances a tug on the wheel will start the car up again.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Hugh. Not a moot point in my scenario as if I am still rolling I do NOT want to start tugging the steering wheel off centre!
Rob. You don't have to move the wheel very far when stationary, just pull it against the resistance in either direction.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Hugh. Not a moot point in my scenario as if I am still rolling I do NOT want to start tugging the steering wheel off centre!
Rob. You don't have to move the wheel very far when stationary, just pull it against the resistance in either direction.
Colin, I tried pulling on the wheel today, just to see how quickly it all came to life.
To be really honest, you really do have to tug on it before the engine fires up.
That's not really about being inconvenient it's more a case of unnerving!
I had to give the wheel a pretty good tug before the engine fired up but how would a woman get on?
I don't mean to be sexist but, physically, you have to give the wheel a fair tug.
Oh, and not to make things confusing, like Colins scenario, I was rolling too.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Perhaps they differ.
I don't find it too difficult and if I need a quick getaway, as in heavy traffic I always use the 'tweaked steering wheel' method.
You don't have to tug it very far (on my car at least), just against the resistance felt, then it should fire up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I simply use the switch on the dash to control it according to how I read the road conditions and what manoeuvres I am likely to do, eg, when turning into our road which sometimes needs a quick dash. Must admit that most of the time I have the function switched off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In my Seat I do two things when starting up, sort radio/music and turn off the engine shut off thingy. For me the amount of time it would kick in out ways the inconsistentancy of the system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts