Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All. as I am not familiar with any of the VAG cars and componantry, does anyone have any idea whether the main mechanicals and running gear are used on other VAG group cars and how much do you suppose apart from the bodywork is unique to the Kodiaq.

I presume Engine, Chassis, 4wd, suspension, brakes, wheels, transmission, Engine management, manifold, etc must be on other VAG cars, but do we know from what one? I presume there are shared components in the interior such as Infotainment screen, switches etc

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
As far as I am aware (I stand to be correctd) The platform is common, although in different sizes to many in the VAG. All engines & gear boxes are common across the VAG . Electronics as, far as I know , are, in themain, specific to the Kodiaq. I know of no other VAG car with the elecronic gizmology of the Kodiaq. Wheels are obviousy unique to the Kodiaq. The boring old, out of date colour palette is specific to SOME Skoda models, whereas VW, Audi & SEAT have much more varied and exciting colours.
Panoramic roof is common to others in VAG but usually not so readily available. Seating is Kodiaq specific.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
As far as I am aware (I stand to be correctd) The platform is common, although in different sizes to many in the VAG. All engines & gear boxes are common across the VAG . Electronics as, far as I know , are, in themain, specific to the Kodiaq. I know of no other VAG car with the elecronic gizmology of the Kodiaq. Wheels are obviousy unique to the Kodiaq. The boring old, out of date colour palette is specific to SOME Skoda models, whereas VW, Audi & SEAT have much more varied and exciting colours.
Panoramic roof is common to others in VAG but usually not so readily available. Seating is Kodiaq specific.
Do you have a source on this? I thought the MQB platform cars share electronics and software such as some switchgear (window controls etc.) and the infotainment system run the same "OS" but have different skins. I also believe almost no coding was needed to replace the physical buttons with the capacitive buttons (as both theoretically close a circuit), but I definitely can be wrong on this.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
when I said the 'electronics' I meant the tech behind the screen. i:e: the permanent hot spot, the trailer control on reversing etc. I gather the sat nav is a new unit.
I am sure the 'ELECTRICS' are all out of the VAG parts bin. windows. switchgear. central locking etc

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
when I said the 'electronics' I meant the tech behind the screen. i:e: the permanent hot spot, the trailer control on reversing etc. I gather the sat nav is a new unit.
I am sure the 'ELECTRICS' are all out of the VAG parts bin. windows. switchgear. central locking etc
The phonebox is the same as the Superb (different locations obviously) and Trailer Assist is nothing new for the MQB platform, it's on various VW's and the Superb (not sure about the others in the Skoda lineup).

The sat nav unit is a new unit but has the same hardware (CPU etc.) as the Tiguan because the Kodiaq has Skoda Connect now.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I stand corrected Fair do's. :roll:
I must admit I have not wasted my money on any VAG other than Skodas since my last VW which was a 1992 Jetta! (God what an awful car! went round wet corners like butter in a hot frying pan~ might have had something to do with the dreadful Continentals with sipes as tight as a mouse's backside ~ so no water dispersal.)
Why waste money on a VW or AUDI when you can buy a car with the same build quality for 3/4qtrs of the price??

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Why waste money on a VW or AUDI when you can buy a car with the same build quality for 3/4qtrs of the price??
Why I love Skodas! That's why they're called "the thinking man's VW!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts