Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Planning to buy a new Kodiaq 1.5 petrol dsg SE L model.
I plan to get a few extras fitted like a towbar (needed as we tow a trailer, not a caravan), leather seats, acc and wondered what other owners either wish they had or not had fitted and the reason why.
It will be a new build and just trying to work out if some things are worth the extra money like a sunroof, virtual cockpit, acc and lane assist.

Cheers Bill

·
Registered
137 Posts
Only thing my SE L doesn't have that I wish it did is adaptive cruise control.
Front parking sensors but they're standard now anyway.
Wife doesn't like sunroof and it is a bit steep. Prefer the standard leather/alcantara to full leather.
Prefer current cars aftermarket towbar to first cars factory fit.
Virtual cockpit I can't comment on as never seen one but think it may be nothing more than a gimmick like shift paddles.
Oh, and virtual cockpit can't show waze or google maps on the display.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Plodd said:
Only thing my SE L doesn't have that I wish it did is adaptive cruise control.
Front parking sensors but they're standard now anyway.
Wife doesn't like sunroof and it is a bit steep. Prefer the standard leather/alcantara to full leather.
Prefer current cars aftermarket towbar to first cars factory fit.
Virtual cockpit I can't comment on as never seen one but think it may be nothing more than a gimmick like shift paddles.
Oh, and virtual cockpit can't show waze or google maps on the display.
As it happens I got the virtual cockpit and I think it's great, displays what I want and how I like it. I would definitely reorder it. I don't use Google maps or Waze as the inbuilt sat nav in my opinion work perfectly well and on a few tests I have done between that and Google maps there were no significant route differences. I really see very little benefit using Google Maps or Waze if you have Columbus.

I have flappy paddles and they are OK but I could easily live without them, they were standard on mine anyway. I would not pay extra for them.

I also got the driver profile thingy, which was only £45. I would say for £45 it's definitely worth it as it's resets the seats etc. to my profile without failure when I unlock the car, you also get an extra key.

I had an Edition with the lane assist and blind spot detection, to be honest I really don't miss them, nice to have if standard on the car of choice but not worth the extra cash.

G

·
I added front parking sensors, which are now standard fit, heated windscreen, reverse camera, child pack which adds remote child lock operation and rear window blinds, and spare wheel to my SEL, don't think there is anything that I wish I had added.
As above much prefer the alcantara to leather, and would never spec a sunroof again, suffered leaks in my previous Yeti and by all accounts all Skoda models suffer problems with sunroofs.

·
Registered
422 Posts
FoxtrotAlpha said:
I really see very little benefit using Google Maps or Waze if you have Columbus.
I don't use Waze, but I believe that its community of users will give accurate indications of slow traffic and congestion, giving you an opportunity to choose an alternative route where possible.

The Columbus system also does this, but I think you need a data SIM in the car.
Even then I am not quite sure where it gets its traffic data from and how accurate that is.
And correct me if I am wrong, it will only do so with a route planned?

TBH, I tend not to pay much attention to it.
Mostly because I don't drive into the unknown all that much, so never have a route planned.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I wished I had a reversing camera.
I believe front sensors - which I paid for on mine - are now standard on SE-L trim.
As is the reversing camera.

I have all-round sensors on the K (standard on all trims I think?), which cause 'funny moments' when I reverse my old Honda off the driveway.
My mind tricks me into thinking I can just wait for the beeps to warn me when I get close to objects.
Luckily I have always reminded myself in time that "the Honda doesn't have [redacted] sensors!"

Too much reliance too soon on technology. One day we can relax.

Interesting comments about the sunroof.
One of my earliest car had one and it leaked, putting me off.
But then people kept telling me technology has moved on and that I should look into it.
It's a bit steep anyway, as @Plodd says.
It does look amazing in reviews and in pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
ACC!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers
Looking at getting towbar, leather, acc, tri climate control, virtual cockpit, heated rear seats, rear tables (both those options for the kids), sunroof, rear camera, spare wheel.
Was going for the electric front drivers seat but decided it was one gadget too far.
Still thinking about dropping the sunroof and going for lane assist with blind spot, what do people with either think, are either worth the money.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,042 Posts
billywizzo said:
Cheers
Looking at getting towbar, leather, acc, tri climate control, virtual cockpit, heated rear seats, rear tables (both those options for the kids), sunroof, rear camera, spare wheel.
Was going for the electric front drivers seat but decided it was one gadget too far.
Still thinking about dropping the sunroof and going for lane assist with blind spot, what do people with either think, are either worth the money.
Cheers
If cheaper you could get blind spot + traffic sign recognition. Traffic sign recognition is the cheapest way to get the driver assist camera then get someone to code in Lane Assist for you.

I'd say electric driver seat with memory is an absolute boon if you have different drivers with different heights. Especially with the £45 driver personalisation option which adds drive profiles (i.e. users) and an extra key. I'd give up tri zone climate for that to be honest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[/quote]

If cheaper you could get blind spot + traffic sign recognition. Traffic sign recognition is the cheapest way to get the driver assist camera then get someone to code in Lane Assist for you.

I'd say electric driver seat with memory is an absolute boon if you have different drivers with different heights. Especially with the £45 driver personalisation option which adds drive profiles (i.e. users) and an extra key. I'd give up tri zone climate for that to be honest.
[/quote]

Don't think you can get blind spot without selecting a lane assist option.

Very confusing how the options work as if you select travel assist option which has acc, adaptive lane assist, traffic jam assist and sign recognition you cannot have blind spot as an option and my Skoda dealer has confirmed that.
The only way to get blind spot is with one of the lane assist options, then no traffic jam assist as that is only availiable in the travel assist option.
Also funny how when you secect some options, like lane assist you have to add others like heated steering wheel.

After a chat to my wife I have found out she never adjusts the seat except for maybe moving it forwad/back depending who/what is in the back seat so think the electric seat will be a waste of time.

And probably going to drop the sunroof for either lane assist with blind spot or go for travel assist that includes lane assist and traffic jam assist.
Has anyone got either blind spot or traffic jam assist, which would be the better option to people think.
Too many choices and not enough money for them all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Kodiaq is three years old today!!

A little bit of me thinks the reversing camera might have been a sensible idea, otherwise I am happy. Will never regret having leather seats!!

I would have liked Isofix covers that don't keep falling off, mind....!

·
Registered
387 Posts
My car came pretty loaded with lots of options, but I didn't choose them as I was offered such a good discount on the car that was sitting unregistered in the dealer's showroom.

Things I would have liked that my car doesn't have would be: heated steering wheel (don't knock it until you try it!), virtual cockpit, remote rear seat release levers and the kids moan that my last car had heated outer rear seats as standard, but the Kodiaq doesn't. Then again, I'm not sure I'd really want to pay for them...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having come from a Skoda with most of it's option boxes ticked, I knew what worked and what didn't for me, so for the kodiaq sportline I chose:

Personalisation. Apart from car always configured to my preferences, you get an extra key for only £45.
Sunroof. Lets more light in to the car ( Sportline has black headlining ) Open (ish) top motoring + I think it looks impressive.
Canton Biggest complaint on my previous Skoda was the sound. The sound from the Columbus on our Karoq is better but given aftermarket mods are a no go, I'm taking a gamble on Canton. At £420 I think it's worth a punt. Expectations not high but got to be better than std system.
Spare wheel Would have preferred the extra space over the spare but Canton made the decision for me.
Park Assist Had auto park on my last three cars. Hardly used it on the first two but used it much more on the Skoda. The VAG system is simple, just as quick as parking the car myself ( quicker actually ) and works almost 100% of the time. Really helps if you have a stiff neck or whatever - you can get on with the job of looking in your mirrors rather than concentrating on turning the wheel and lining up. It's so easy.
Virtual Dash I don't need it, I don't see any advantages and if I'm being honest, I think the virtual dash in the Sportline and vRS with their red dials and carbon effect is worse looking than the std virtual dash. And I actually quite like the VAG small LCD that sits between the two traditional dials that comes as standard. So why request a virtual dash? Think it was just I've never had one before and it's something different. It's almost a given it's a waste of money for me.
Family Pack Wanted the roll down blinds but it was cheaper buying them this way. Includes a double sided trunk mat as well. Couldn't care less about the other items the family pack offers.

Considered options:
rear cross traffic Loved it on my previous car but it only comes as part of an expensive pack.
Blind spot Not essential but again, only comes as part of a pack.
rear camera Never used in last car. It may be useful given lack of rear traffic alert. If needed, it can always be added at later date.

Lots of other options available but I didn't choose them because

Lane assist Had it in my last car and as is the case with our other Skoda, it's switched off. I found it both useless and annoying.
Radar cruise I just hated it. And when things go wrong and the system needs to be re-aligned then it's £££'s and inconvenient. With std cruise, I know what the system is going to do but with radar cruise I was having to predict what it was going to do. I never got used to be unaware my car was gradually slowing when at times I didn't want it to slow.
Rear seat heating There's rarely anyone in the rear of my cars but even if there was, I'd only add it for leather seats.
Tri-zone This is beyond me. I can't understand how you can have three seperate climate zones in such a small open space. The only benefit I can see is it's display is a focal point on what is otherwise a blank rear centre console. If my passengers want the temp turned up or down they can ask me. And if they still don't like the temp, they can get out and walk :lol:
Auto Full beam Great in theory, but found it frustrating. Often when no other cars are around and I had the beams on, the system might detect detect a street lamp in the distance or say security lamp, and it would unnecessarily dip the main beam.
I have no idea why the formatting of this reply has left such a large space. How weird :eek:
Adaptive chassis It's a bit like my attitude to DSG. With DSG I can choose between Eco, Normal, Sport, manually shift the gear lever or use the flappy paddles in our Karoq. The reality is however I put the car in normal and that's it. So for £1000 or whatever it costs, I'd set the adaptive chassis to normal/default and leave it there.
Heated windscreen Had it on Fords and it worked well ( caused some frustration tho when the windscreen required replacing but tat's another story ) but was useless. I live in Scotland but even here there's only a few mornings in winter that cause the windscreen to freeze. The theory is when it's icy, you push a button and the windscreen clears. Great, the trouble is you're side windows don't so you have to go out and scrape them anyway. It's pretty expensive option too, I can't justify the price when a piece of cardboard or de-icer does the same job quicker.
Top Down View Admitedly it can look impressive on some other cars but Skoda's system really looks naff. Besides, I have park assist so pretty useless to me.

Note comments from some folk above about electric seats. Electric driver seat is std on my car but if it wasn't I defo choose it. The electric seat means you can alter the angle of the seat base + the lumbar is adjustable both vertically and horizontally. So for me, an electric seat is hugely more comfortable.

The 2021 specs are slightly different. Heated steering also now std on Sportline plus the control is now on the steering wheel which is much more convenient than having to go thru menu system. But I'd never have chosen it as an option. I've never thought to myself "oh that steering wheel is cold".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Edit to last post.

I see the configurator has now been brought up to date where several options have gone ( I'm guessing they only referred to post 2021 models ) and a couple of new options are now available.

USB C port near headlining This is something I would have considered but as I say wasn't available when I ordered my car. But at £125 + min of £90 for traffic sign recognition, a total of £215 to save me from a 5min job routing power to the dashcam down the A-pillar? I don't think so.

And then confusion reigns.

You can have Lane assist with Blind Sport with Adaptive Lane for £1200
or
You can have the same + emergency braking for the same £1200 ? But all of the above need the adaptive cruise as part of the bundle therefore the total price is £1700 :eek:

You can have adaptive cruise for £500 or Travel assist for £1000. But it doesn't say what travel assist is?

You can have travel assist ( £1000 remember ) + park assist ( which is £330 on it's own ) as a pack for £1850. :shock: WTF?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
We have sort of made our minds up with the main extras - tables, leather, virtual cockpit, rear camera, towbar, spare wheel, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel (have to add for traffic assist), tri a/c, travel assist (includes acc) and park assist. Going for travel assist so not going to have blind spot.
That is provided that the park assist added is the seperate one (£330), and not the one included in one of the travel assist options which is £500 more in the bundle as aposed to adding both seperatly.

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Westie5 said:
Edit to last post.

I see the configurator has now been brought up to date where several options have gone ( I'm guessing they only referred to post 2021 models ) and a couple of new options are now available.

USB C port near headlining This is something I would have considered but as I say wasn't available when I ordered my car. But at £125 + min of £90 for traffic sign recognition, a total of £215 to save me from a 5min job routing power to the dashcam down the A-pillar? I don't think so.

And then confusion reigns.

You can have Lane assist with Blind Sport with Adaptive Lane for £1200
or
You can have the same + emergency braking for the same £1200 ? But all of the above need the adaptive cruise as part of the bundle therefore the total price is £1700 :eek:

You can have adaptive cruise for £500 or Travel assist for £1000. But it doesn't say what travel assist is?

You can have travel assist ( £1000 remember ) + park assist ( which is £330 on it's own ) as a pack for £1850. :shock: WTF?
Yes all very confusing
If you have blind spot you can't get traffic jam assist .Confirmed by the dealer.
Also some options need you to get the heated steering wheel even though you get a multifunction wheel included.
And like you spotted travel assist is £1000 with adaptive lane assist, traffic jam and acc included in the bundle and park assist is £330 seperate which you can add to the £1000 travel assist bundle or you can select another travel assist bundle for £1850 that includes park assist
Don't know how they work out their packs or pricing.
I downloaded the online brochure and it explains what is included in the extras where it lists the optional extras.

·
Super Moderator
1,042 Posts
Travel Assist uses traffic sign recognition alongside navigation data to adapt the speed and slow down for corners, intersections, and roundabouts

[media]
[/media]

I recommend you skip the dealer and ask ŠKODA UK for spec info as most dealers are useless when it comes to stuff like this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zach said:
Travel Assist uses traffic sign recognition alongside navigation data to adapt the speed and slow down for corners, intersections, and roundabouts

[media]
[/media]

I recommend you skip the dealer and ask ŠKODA UK for spec info as most dealers are useless when it comes to stuff like this.
The dealer said he phoned skoda uk to check as they thought I was mistaken or there was an error on the website, but they assured me that skoda confirmed that blindspot was not an availiabe option if you take the travel assist option.

I have been using the online brochure to check what comes with each extra option availiable and blindspot is not an option on its own, it is bundled with lane assist and it will not let you select lane assist/blindspot and travel assist together.

·
Super Moderator
1,042 Posts
I wonder why ŠKODA UK don't let you get blind spot with the cheaper driver assists. For Travel Assist it should come with blind spot assist as it has multi lane Emergency Assist though?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.