Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the forums view on the options . This taken from the S UK sight.
We're confident in the build quality of our cars. So not only can we give you a two year unlimited mileage warranty but also a third year of warranty up to 60,000 miles†, plus, a 12 year body protection warranty on all new ŠKODAs.
A warranty that offers an exceptional level of cover. A warranty that you can now extend up to 5 years/100,000 miles†...
New Car Warranty Available from just £150
Find a retailer
Unexpected repair costs can soon put a dent in your driving enjoyment so extending your manufacturer warranty can make a great deal of sense. Unlike other warranties, our new car warranty can be extended to cover you exactly as a genuine ŠKODA factory warranty would for the full period of time that you have it. This means you can now get up to 5 years / 100,000 miles† cover for manufacturing defects.
Now I have this from Hughes sales manager
1 Year Extended, 4 year/80,000 miles total = £300
2 Year Extended, 5 Year/100,000 miles total = £630
So you get 2 year unlimited as standard . I am likely to do 10-12K miles per year, so 5 year 100,00 k I am not sure would be worth £630.
Not sure how all the above fits together.
It all has to be ordered before delivery so anyone else thought about it ?????????????

·
Registered
503 Posts
How long do you intend to own the car ?
I too would never trouble the mileage caps, but for peace of mind I opted for a 4 year warranty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just went with the standard three year warranty as I was told I can extend to 4/5 years at any time.
The dealer made it clear to me that you do not need to decide when ordering.
He said the best thing to do is to own the car for a year or two and then decide whether you are likely to keep it or not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"How long do you intend to own the car ?"

I am likely to keep the car for a long time. The currant S-Max is 105k miles and 9 trouble free years.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also was told I could extend the standard 3 year warrantee at any time in first three years.

I probably won't because -
A) I do a lot of miles (20k per year) and would exceed the cap.
B) Modern cars are Amazing, and will go for years if looked after, serviced, and driven sympathetically.
C) Most mechanical faults will reveal themselves in the first three years. If it turns out to be a dog, I will exchange it within warrantee.

However, I'll see how reliable Kodiaqs are, how long I want to keep mine, and may change my mind...

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I have had 5 Skodas . Fabia estate and three Yetis. I have only ever had 2 insignificant problems. 2nd Yeti had a 'grunting' DSG box. I P/Xd it before anything happened. It was a known* but rare fault on the 7 speed. Now with the new series of DSGs there should be no more problems.
The other, on my last Yeti, was a rear wiper that mis~parked for 30 seconds at either 2o'clock or 11 o'clock. After about 30 seconds it flopped int the correct position. This was a known* fault on 65 plate Yetis. (Duff load of wiper motors is suspected.) Meadens took it in P/X aware of the fault and will put it right under warranty, before they sell it on.
The price given above for extended warranty on Kodiaqs is if bought when purchasing the car or very shortly thereafter. You can opt for the warranty extension up to a month before its 3rd birthday BUT AT THE PRICE PERTAINING AT THE TIME! SO..... It may well have gone up in three years time. But if you love the car and are intending to keep it, it is much cheaper than buying another one!
I specifically asked about this when I collected mine and my dealer is very clued up so I believe it to be correct.
* known faults are known by the owners on the forums but rarely do SUK own up to knowing anything about them!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well said Colin.

My Octavia had a recurring EGR warning light problem, and smelled like an oiler rag when faulty. (That is one reason I went for petrol this time)

Discussions on this are all over the Internet, but Škoda said they'd never seen it before...

Eventually they updated the software, and Hey-presto problem solved.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Basically a warranty is just an insurance policy, chances are you will not need it (or if you do it may be less than the premium you are paying)

That said I would not own a DSG out of warranty as they cost thousands when they go wrong... and they do still go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I agree with Gizmo. I would not any case out of warranty these days, dead to say.
Hopefully the new series of DSGs will prove less troublesome.
Gizmo, you have a pm from me.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think if you intend to keep for a long while, get the 5 yr warranty at ordering.
£630 is a small price compared to the costs IF something goes wrong, well worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input ,
I think I will extend the standard 3 year with a 1 year at £300. By then I would be at less than 50k.
I will know how reliable it has been and extend it again if necessary. Possibly with a 3rd party if Skoda won't do something or the £ go up to mutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts