Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Doesn't surprise me, a group of companies will always look to feed off the most profitable, in my experience anyway

·
Registered
127 Posts
If Skoda seems to be making "better" cars (more highly rated by the public - e.g. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/95238/best-cars-to-own-driver-power-2017-results, and more highly rated be the motoring press), shouldn't VW be learning from them? I know they can't bring down their labour costs to Czech Republic levels, but at least make cars that get similar ratings, even if they cost more. Or is it the case that Skoda appear better because some people have (mistakenly, IMO) lower expectations?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also thinking that Skoda owners demand less from their cars. But the new pricing is too high and I expect the same quality as competitors.

·
Registered
617 Posts
romanv said:
I am also thinking that Skoda owners demand less from their cars. But the new pricing is too high and I expect the same quality as competitors.
Depends on how you look at it. The Kodiaq undercuts competition (other 7 seaters of similar size)) by significant margin.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ive owned Audi's and VW's for more than 20 years. At various points I looked at the Octavia and Superb as possible alternatives to a new Passat and felt that the interior quality let the Skoda down.

Now the shoe is on the other foot in my opinion. The interior of the VW vehicles has lost its lead above other manufacturers, and having looked at the Tiguan and the Kodiak I really do feel that the Kodiak has a comfortable lead now - even without taking into account value for money.

And when it comes to the Audi range I'd suggest that many of the models are quite old now and really are in need of replacement.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now if I would have to re-choose my car, I would choose Kodiaq again. After two months of ownership, the bear drives excellent w/o any problems (minor flaws on infotainment system are excluded).

·
Registered
61 Posts
VW made a huge error.
Firstly, it didn't ensure that Skoda was kept as the 'bargain' brand by handing down technology and materials instead of sharing them.
Renault have not made that mistake with Dacia, it keeps a tight reign on the marque, it shares older technology seen in Renaults models ago and there are certain models that are purposely not sold in certain markets ( think certain Dacia models sold in Europe but not the UK) because they would take sales away from Renault.
If you are old enough to remember Skoda pre VW, they made cars that were laughed at but they were GOOD cars, some with a serious rally pedigree and some as cheap, reliable family transport. Some may even remember ( IIRC) the Autocar front page about a Rapid being more fun than a Porsche!
That's the thing really, VW have handed over their tech and know how to a manufacturer that is seriously no dummy, they can make that technology and know how even better and its showing in what they are producing.
VW, long term, are in serious trouble.
PS: Yes, I've liked Skoda long long before VW got their hands on them!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm currently awaiting delivery of my Kodiaq, the first Skoda I will have owned.
In the past I had an Audi A4 - brilliant car, 140k miles without a single problem. I currently have a VW Passat - probably the worst car I have ever owned (I am 67) for build quality. I've had it for 5 years and the last couple of years have been a nightmare; it's cost me a fortune in repairs!
My advice to the VW workers and their management is to get your act together and learn from your Czech colleagues rather than trying to steal their jobs
As someone who worked for a French manufacturer, in the UK, this is all too familiar. If the parent company is less efficient than their foreign subsidiaries the kneejerk reaction is to take take over their production. Interestingly, the French company I worked for is itself now all but defunct. VW take note!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts