Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering SE L for March delivery.
virtual cockpit looks cool.
should I get it? 300 odd quid seems like good value.
advice /opinions appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
I added it to my order for my replacement Sportline as I don't have it on my current car. Sadly I didn't get to choose the options I currently have as I just bought an unregistered car that was sitting in the showroom with 9 miles on the clock and no plates when I first saw it, back in Jan '19. Virtual cockpit was pretty new back then though, but they did have a Karoq in the showroom with it and I had a good play with it - looks good, and always regretted not having it.

It's £395 as an option on an SE-L btw, so more like £400-odd quid rather than £300. Don't know if that makes a difference to you - the car will be fine without it. I would surmise that it will be worth pretty much nothing as an optional extra at 3 years old in terms of second hand/trade-in value, so it depends on whether it's £395 that you can afford for something that makes the car a little bit better for you, assuming you'll move on to another car at some point in the future.

Reactions: eugem

·
Registered
628 Posts
You're right, it does look kind of cool and up to date and if you like the latest toys, then only you can decide if it's worth the expense.
Mine came as standard in my Kamiq - would I have chosen it as an option - probably not now I've been able to compare analogue and digital back to back.
I speak as a retiree here and whilst I'm not averse to change, I think modern technology should make things simpler, not more complicated, especially in a car, where I believe that the drivers attention should be on the road, not fiddling around with a computer.
Having said that, I think that once you've had a good play with it, you'll probably settle on your favourite screen and leave it there most of the time - I certainly do.
I find the digital screen is less intuitive and more fiddly than the analogue and there's several sub menus going on and you really need to have a long play to find them all and/or study the manual.
I do miss the dot matrix screen that was between the two main dials in my last car (Kodiaq).
Is it worth nearly £400 ? For me it wouldn't be about the cost, it would come down to looks and user friendliness. I'm sure a younger person than me who spends more time in the car, would appreciate digital far more than me. I find physical knobs much easier than scrolling through menus and sub menus, especially whilst driving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's a £395 option in the UK.
Never had a VC before so I added it as an option but to be honest the only advantage IMO is having the map in fromt of you. The view with the digital dials? Well no point in that over normal dials ( normal dials look better ). The view with the large rev counter? Why am I interested in a rev counter if I have an automatic? The blank screen with few details being displayed? Why pay £400 to have a blank screen?
For the first time in ages I drove our other Skoda today which has analogue dials - it did everything I needed it to do and is much clearer than the VC.

So I'd say that if £400 means nothing then get it because you'll always be left wondering what it would have been like. If £400 matters, then apart from having a map in front of you, then in my opinion it's worse than having analogue dials.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
If the traditional dials had a view that showed digital speed along with economy info at the same time then I’d not be terribly bothered with the standard screen, but alas you need VC for it. Worth the money imo but I’m from a younger generation than most here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the traditional dials had a view that showed digital speed along with economy info at the same time then I’d not be terribly bothered with the standard screen, but alas you need VC for it. Worth the money imo but I’m from a younger generation than most here.
Ordering SE L for March delivery.
virtual cockpit looks cool.
should I get it? 300 odd quid seems like good value.
advice /opinions appreciated. Thanks
Thanks to all who answered. I’m going to take a look at the dealership then decide I think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the map function user friendly? IE easier than the arrows on the little screen on my car with Apple maps ? The SEL has sat nav so the screen bit on the virtual cockpit looks ideal to me. But user friendliness is the key . Going to check it in the Skoda dealers. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Is the map function user friendly? IE easier than the arrows on the little screen on my car with Apple maps ? The SEL has sat nav so the screen bit on the virtual cockpit looks ideal to me. But user friendliness is the key . Going to check it in the Skoda dealers. Thanks for the info.
Yep, my main view is the two dials with the map in the middle then average economy and range in the centre of the two dials.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is the map function user friendly? IE easier than the arrows on the little screen on my car with Apple maps ? The SEL has sat nav so the screen bit on the virtual cockpit looks ideal to me. But user friendliness is the key .
Don't know what that's supposed to mean. Directions on VC are highlighted on the map. Directions on analogue cockpit are simply arrows which indicate which way to turn. Analogue is much clearer but it doesnt give you an overall view. Each cockpit has their advantages, just depends what you want. The directions the sat nav provides aren't always the most efficient therefore I prefer the VC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know what that's supposed to mean. Directions on VC are highlighted on the map. Directions on analogue cockpit are simply arrows which indicate which way to turn. Analogue is much clearer but it doesnt give you an overall view. Each cockpit has their advantages, just depends what you want. The directions the sat nav provides aren't always the most efficient therefore I prefer the VC.
thank you for the reply -very helpful. I’m adding tge VC to my order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, my main view is the two dials with the map in the middle then average economy and range in the centre of the two dials.
Thanks for the reply. Adding VC to my order

·
Registered
389 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts