Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m enjoying the VC in my newly delivered Sportline 1.5 but was wondering if anyone can confirm the source of the speed that is displayed? Is this from the GPS or is there still an old fashioned cable drive from the gearbox? Obviously if it is GPS this reduces the errors inherent in traditional speedometers and gives a “true” speed. Useful to know when passing speed cameras and the like.

·
Registered
2022 sportline in race blue
18 Posts
I don’t think it will be GPS due to the issue with losing signal in areas with high rises or tunnels, I would guess it’s taken from speed sensors on the wheels and taken digitally. On my current Tiguan with VC the dash speedo is about 4mph out when at 70mph vs the sat nav gps speed

·
Registered
579 Posts
+1 - unlikely to be GPS as the source I would think. Most cars slightly over-read, by around 2-3% or so. It's the manufacturer's way of protecting themselves from people trying to blame their car when they get a speeding ticket. If it was under-reading then you'd be at risk of inadvertently speeding without knowing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As others have said, definitely not from GPS, but from wheel sensors: if you change wheel/tyre sizes (but within Skoda's endorsed variants) you see a small difference in the over-read

·
Registered
38 Posts
On pretty much all modern cars, it's from the ABS sensors. There's an algorithm that (in crude terms) "averages" the speed of all 4 wheels and displays that as the speedometer reading. It won't be derived from the GPS because speedometer accuracy is a type approval requirement: (they can over-read by up to 10% + 2.5 MPH, but they are not permitted to under-read at all). The manufacturer has to accept liability and responsibility for the speedometer accuracy up to the point of registration, and he can't do this if he is dependent on (in the case of GPS) the American government - or any organisation outside of his direct control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts