Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a foreword, I did not write this intending to replicate professional reviews, but tried to fill in the gaps of things I wanted to know but couldn't find it available.

Test drive was courtesy of Sparshatts of Botley. Friendly at dealership and had 2 models on display, and a reported 3rd on site. There was only one Kodiaq registered for test drives; alas no petrol test drive for me. The Kodiaq I drove was in Quartz Grey and kitted out with 235/50 Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. To satiate those who are asking about tyres, the SE L in the showroom were 19" Hankook Evo S1 SUV to confuse the issue.

Options on the spec I drove were: Driver personalisation, area view cameras, electric tow bar, ambient lighting, Canton stereo, tri-zone climate control, Virtual boot pedal and front/rear sensors.

Test route was limited to 10.9 miles along local roads and a stretch down the M27 (between junction 5 to 7; of no relevance to this review, there is no junction 6 which was planned for the M273, which never materialised). This particular stretch of motorway has concrete sections, and was a good test of the standard steel springs. Ride on the 19" rims was surprisingly settled with some suspension noise filtering into the cabin, but not much road or wind noise.

I have spent the afternoon repeating the drive in a 2010 F10 5 Series BMW as well as a 2010 Jaguar XF; both on 18" rims. The BMW was harshest with run flat tyres, the XF somewhere in between. The Kodiaq isolated better than both, probably due to the ride height. It is my opinion that the Kodiaq is a refined vehicle and the 19" rims haven't ruined the ride; my suspicion is that the 18" would ride better though. DCC is not an option for me as I have gone with 2WD; it seems superfluous to me as the standard springs coped well.

There have been mild criticisms that the Kodiaq's steering is light; yes it is, and yes it lacks some feel, but it isn't terrible. Having test driven a VW Tiguan in the absence of a Kodiaq, they are very similar. Body roll is controlled, but it is there especially on the back-to-back drives compared to saloon cars. I'm not going to dwell on this too much as I think it's an unfair comparison.

I've also never owned a DSG, having always had a torque converter. I wasn't allowed to cold start the Kodiaq so it had already been warmed. I miss the creep without pressing any pedals when in D, but overall the dry 7 speed DSG was smooth and not hesitant. My test drive was too short to make a full opinion of it and I think only using it on a day-to-day basis will be the litmus test.

I also had a good play around with the Kodiaq interior and made the following observations:
  • Cubby by driver's right knee is not damped and fell out on opening with a little force. The only other less refined feature I could find is a rough edge around the plastic covering over the steering wheel airbag. Drawn on photo.
  • Cubby space in rear door is very sizeable with a hollow area deep horizontally into the door itself; I was able to conceal a 750mL bottle of water into it - I can see my kid's toys getting lost and hidden from sight. If my description doesn't make sense, I've marked it on a photo.
  • Columbus systems are fitted to SE L and Edition models. The online configurator suggests "With SD card slot without CD Drive". I thought the Columbus system had the capability to play DVDs when parked up; there is a DVD drive - apologies for handshake in the photo.
  • There is no power inverter in UK spec - x1 12 v in front phone compartment with x1 USB, x1 12v in middle row centre stack, and x1 12v on RHS of boot just beside the right 3rd row seat shoulder.
  • Indicator is a solid yellow blink and replaces the DRL when on. It doesn't scroll like an Audi.
  • Front dash and infotainment screen easily marks up with fingerprints - I think most of us expected this.
  • The access to the Torx screws to fit mud flaps are easily accessible and a simple DIY job provided the right tools.
  • Parking sensor beep is quite piercing, but in a noticeably good way.
  • The blind spot monitor doesn't just light up and come off, but it dims down with a fade. Regarding blind spots, there is a big one by the c-pillars. The side mirrors are a bit stubby & narrow, and just didn't cover them for me despite several adjustments.

Now that I've test driven one, albeit not with the engine I've selected, do I regret my purchase? No - the Kodiaq is impressive; it's by no means perfect, but is the best option for me and my family at this time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Answered lots of my questions, thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Interesting .... no sim card slot, thought edition had that ?
And you are saying no 230v power outlet ? again I thought that was mentioned on the website.

Thanks for taking the time to write up :cool:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was no 230v socket on the edition I sampled.

One extra observation: it appears the Superb tablet holder may fit in the Kodiaq. The measurement between the 2 metal supports (164mm) to the headrest is the same. I may chance on ordering a pair I've spied on eBay for £10 which would be a saving on the option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Savage said:
Interesting .... no sim card slot, thought edition had that ?
And you are saying no 230v power outlet ? again I thought that was mentioned on the website.

Thanks for taking the time to write up :cool:
I agree....according to the Owners Manual the slot is in the middle of the SD slots?????

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if the sim slot is the £750 option of the LTE phone box that is listed even for edition models within the configuration tool. It seems odd to have that as an option when it seemingly is included as standard.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Thanks very much Ed. Very useful write up. Did you have the nerve to tell them you've already ordered elsewhere ;) ? Or did they try and rip your arm off to order one?

·
Registered
138 Posts
so....no rear USB sockets? that's disappointing...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Doesn't really matter imo as you can easily get 12V USB chargers...

·
Registered
503 Posts
There should be a rear USB I think ? I hope so ... as all the rear sockets are disappearing :lol:
I would have liked the 230v socket, but not great loss, likewise the Sim card slot (presumably any internet shenanigans will have to route through my phone, best get some extra data allowance then).

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm glad I chose Triglav wheels.... they look amazing!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
One question to Moominpapa, you said 7 "dry" dsg, but I thought all the Kodiaq are equipped with either the 7"wet" dsg: dq500, or the 6 wet dsg:dq250, not the problematic 7 dry dq200. Pls let me know if you are sure that it was a 7 dry, coz I've had some terrible experiences with the dq200 and I ordered the kodiaq coz the sales assured me it is the 7 wet dq500. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Elulu said:
One question to Moominpapa, you said 7 "dry" dsg, but I thought all the Kodiaq are equipped with either the 7"wet" dsg: dq500, or the 6 wet dsg:dq250, not the problematic 7 dry dq200. Pls let me know if you are sure that it was a 7 dry, coz I've had some terrible experiences with the dq200 and I ordered the kodiaq coz the sales assured me it is the 7 wet dq500. Thanks!
The 2.0 engines with the Kodiaq all use the DQ500 if you have chosen DSG.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Googling about it seems the oil AND filter on the DSG box and rear axle Haldex needs changing at 40k.

Standard warrantee runs out about then...

I will instruct my garage to do it at 40k, and paint the filters red beforehand so I can check it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elulu said:
I don't profess to know the definitive answer, but the service manager I spoke to thought it was a dry 7 for all but the 1.4tsi. He deduced this as he didn't have a service schedule RE: gearbox fluid change on the 7 speed DSG Kodiaq. I couldn't see anything in the user manual regarding spec. Might be worth ringing up SUK to enquire?

·
Registered
175 Posts
VW forums have some scary post about trained techs who have been on gearbox courses, and still can't tell the difference between wet & dry clutch boxes, despite have an oil filter sticking out the side!

The wet 500 box seems to be bullet-proof, and capable of handling far more torque than the Kodiaq engines will deliver. Just make sure they don't talk you out of oil & filter change at 40k.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts