Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kodiaq is spec sensitive if that wasn't already known.

I've had to drop off my car back for yet more repair work and have been loaned a 1.4tsi 2wd SE with 7 seats & some extras like park assist & child pack.

There are key differences that I have noticed.

1) 19" wheel rims on the Edition definitely do spoil the ride. It's more smooth on 18" and fidgets less over speed bumps and our poorly maintained Hampshire roads.

2) The SE is much more noisy than the Edition. Its not scientific, but on a decibel meter on a smartphone the SE was 9db louder (79db vs 70db on my Edition). I think there is less sound deadening. I can see why they chose to implement the cabin voice system now.

3) The manual gearbox for this engine combination isn't right. 1st gear is very very short and then it gets long beyond 3rd. All in the name of fuel saving...it makes the engine and gearbox very fussy around town.

4) The cloth seats come with handy side pockets. They also feel softer to sit on than the leather option. Lack of lumbar support is noticeable and I would not choose to own a long term car without it.

5) The faux brushed metal trim to me looks nicer than the Mistral brown faux wood finish to me.

6) Business Grey is actually a smart finish compared to my Petrol (lava) blue and shows of the panel creases more clearly.

I am sure I will notice more differences the longer I have the loan vehicle, but thought I'd share my experience with you all.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
MoominP said,
3) The manual gearbox for this engine combination isn't right. 1st gear is very very short and then it gets long beyond 3rd. All in the name of fuel saving...it makes the engine and gearbox very fussy around town.
Another gearing cock-up then by Skoda.
The 6 speed DSG (my 1st-always had 7 gears before) is also extremely short and tends to rev it's nuts off* before changing up to 2nd. I find myself 'rowing it' just to stop it screaming. *Only on a gentle takeoff. If giving it some beans, it is not too bad.
Very annoying.
Why the hell they used a 6 speed on the 1.4 150BHP I simply don't know it is a rubbish box compered to my previous (albeit on Yetis) gear boxes.
Once it gets rolling it's fine but the gears are a lot further 'apart'. It has the torque to take an o?d 7th gear which would have helped the consumption I would have thought??

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colin, I think they build these right to a price point and the creaking door handles is an example where pennies have been skimped on. This is only my theory: the 6 speed DSG for the 1.4 I think was chosen for financial reasons to lower the entry price point for certain trim levels.

FWIW, the 6sp DSG is more refined under eco mode and doesnt hold onto gears too long.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I tried ECO for ages when I first got it, but found it a pain in the @rse and LESS economical than D with it going into 2 cylinder mode far more frequently in D than in E. It obviously takes less petrol to run 2 pots than freewheeling at tickover & feeding 4 pots.
I suppose now I have my Racechip XLR I could ramp up the throttle response and try E again but I suspect that would defeat the object?
Frankly I would rather have paid more £ and had the 7 speed. Skoda should have given customers the option, but like so many manufacturers they are too dictatorial.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes, I would agree it's likely a financial thing.
Interesting that the lower trim level sounds noisier, years ago the higher trim levels used to get better insulation, maybe that's making a return.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
MoominP said,
Another gearing cock-up then by Skoda.
The 6 speed DSG (my 1st-always had 7 gears before) is also extremely short and tends to rev it's nuts off* before changing up to 2nd. I find myself 'rowing it' just to stop it screaming. *Only on a gentle takeoff. If giving it some beans, it is not too bad.
Very annoying.
Why the hell they used a 6 speed on the 1.4 150BHP I simply don't know it is a rubbish box compered to my previous (albeit on Yetis) gear boxes.
Once it gets rolling it's fine but the gears are a lot further 'apart'. It has the torque to take an o?d 7th gear which would have helped the consumption I would have thought??
I've never noticed this on my DSG. Maybe I was used to it from my Golf GTE (now changed to BMW 225XE).

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I know DSG boxes are supposed to 'learn' the style of driving of their owner, perhaps mine has learning difficulties! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts