Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I am aware (I stand to be corrected) The TPM system is standard Skoda, in as much that it will tell you if A tyre has lost pressure but not which one.

This is a pain in the bum as I found out when the warning went off on my Yeti. Luckily I had fitted the gizmos below and I could see that it was a false alarm. I did check later with a pressure gauge just to prove it.

This is one of the best and cheapest add-ons you can buy IMHO. Just make sure you get the correct pressure. (34psi/2.4 bar For the Triglav)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252552536962?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the idea but to function would they not have to unseat the schrader valve to operate and then you're relying on the integrity of the seal in the cap/indicator and it's build quality?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are quite correct. But..... I had them on my last Yeti for a year and they never lost a lb.i have just put a set on the K. I tweak them up with pliers to make sure no little a sole pinches them!

·
Registered
150 Posts
The tyre pressure monitor tells you which tyre is the issue, so should be no need for these

·
Registered
21 Posts
BigfootW, your right. I'm sure the system is the same as my audi had, where the system tells you which tyre is a problem as it is quite a crude system which works via the ABS system and detects a differing rotational speed from the ABS wheel speed sensor.
I think it's law to have TPMS on all cars now and i think they are pushing to have a more precise system like Renault had to begin with, having an actual pressure sensor inside each tyre/valve.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The dash panel won't indicate which tyre but there will be a vehicle status screen on the infotainment that will show you which tyre is losing pressure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My Octavia shows you which tyre so I'd be surprised if the Kodiaq doesnt. It's a pretty good system in my experience certainly the ones on my Renaults were a nightmare of going wrong, false readings, and tyre places refusing to touch them!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh B*LLOX! I've wasted £3.52 then. :lol: Never mind. I thought that the 'which tyre' kit was so expensive that most manufacturers didn't fit it. I certainly wasn't going to let a tyre down to find out and the Manual is on a strictly 'need to know' basis as far as I am concerned ;)
It is a big lump inside the wheel. Balancing must be a nightmare!
This is just one model.http://www.triumphworld.co.uk/buy/triumph-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system/hjp-a9640169_2016tiger8?gclid=Cj0KEQjww7zHBRCToPSj_c_WjZIBEiQAj8il5NWo-GfeEb2ICzHDfR65G9_NnGVO-43ghaEzgbXIC8saAlwL8P8HAQ

·
Registered
35 Posts
I need some help please:

We are going to buy a full set of wheels for our roadtrip (and ski holiday) in Europe -- 17" steel rims with the size of tyres allowing us to fit snow chains should it be necessary (though our bear is 4x4 in the mountains there could be cases when we still need the chains).
I am looking for the rims and tyres which is not an issue, however, there seems to be some problem with the TPMS. My dealer promised to help us with the fitting and swapping the wheels; but they apparently do not know too much about TPMS to say the least.
As I understood I will have to buy a set of sensors (questions raise about compatibility here), those need to be fitted into the rims, that is fine. But once the wheels are fitted the new sensors should be "taught" to the car system which is a kind of burden.

Can someone advise me how to proceed properly with this? As last resort can we switch off the TPMS for the winter tyres?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as I know, the Kodiaq uses an indirect TPMS. If it used a direct system, with sensors in the valves, there should be no need to reset / store new values after a tire change or similar (like you must with the Kodiaq, it's in the manual).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Siminy is correct.
The Kodiaq system does not use actual value pressure sensors. Instead it uses the ABS sensors, comparing the rotational speed of each wheel to each other. Any loss of pressure decreases the diameter of the wheel and therefore makes that wheel rotate faster than the others. That's why sometimes a heavy right foot on acceleration can trigger an alert as one (or more) wheel spins faster than the others.
Resetting the TPMS just tells it to re-read the values again from the four wheels once they start turning again and use that as the "baseline"

Therefore, it will only be necessary to reset the system after you have had the new wheels/tyres fitted.
I also vaguely remember some reference to "Winter Tyres" in the TPMS screen in the infotainment?

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Siminy @BearNecessity: Thanks a lot -- this makes the whole thing much simpler; I am getting to be relaxed now. I will check TPMS settings in the Infotainment.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I hope the Kodiaq is better than my old vRS, that told me there was a problem when there wasnt and didn't tell be when a tyre blew out. That said every single Vauxhall Insignia I have had as a hire car (many) constantly flashed up false tyre pressure warnings to the point I turned the warning off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It works. Got a warning on the rear offside. Down to 1.7 bar. No sign of damage. Pumped back up and had a warning a week later, down to 1.7 again. Local tyre place found a thorn hole on the side wall so a new rear tyre with only 5k on the clock :( Tyre guys said that they could send it away for a " major repair" for £30 but didn't fancy driving around on the space saver for a week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts