Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kodiaq 1.5 TSI DSG Sportline
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've managed to drop on a cancelled order, a 1.5 TSI DSG Sportline. It still hasn't been built, has anyone managed to change spec at this stage? My last 6 cars have been 2.0 Tdi S-Max. I'm wondering if it's possible/makes sense to go for a TDI instead considering the extra mpg v engine & fuel costs. It looks like there's around 3 miles extra per litre from Honestjohn. I guess petrol engines really have improved in recent years. TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2019 1.5 TSI DSG (SEL, 7 Seat) will hit 45mpg if driven carefully on a long run. I suspect the current gen 2.0 TDI would do 60mpg driven in the same way.

Driving around town/short distances if you leave it in D, expect to get around 25mpg. I usually put the engine in Eco and switch to manual changes when in town and doing this will get the mpg up into the 30s or low 40s if it’s a longer run out

My commute is sometimes a 400 mile round trip down to London and back and the last time I did it, I managed 43mpg on the way down and 47mpg on the way back. I kept to speed limits on the way down (using gps so to do true 70, etc) my mpg was worse on the way down despite it being a clear run with no traffic and no stops - my average speed was much higher and the mpg does seem to fall off a bit of a cliff once you go above 70mph. The trip back took an hour longer and I hit some traffic but this meant my average speed was lower so I spent more time in the cars peak efficiency speed window (50-60mph)

Because there is such a vast difference in the mpg from different situations/driving styles I find that I am almost always granny driving it

This question does come up a lot and I do still feel that this engine is too small for the Kodiaq. it’s not underpowered for the car necessarily but the engines party piece is its fuel saving mode - cylinder deactivation - and it is almost never used as there is almost always too much load on the engine for it to activate. The same engine in a current Octavia can hit 60mpg

If I would choose again I would certainly go for the TDI. I had a few diesels before and I certainly prefer them in bigger cars but I had to choose the petrol version for tax reasons. If you do plenty of motorway miles then I would say no question go for the TDI. Even with the higher cost of diesel right now it should still work out cheaper and hopefully the big difference in price will only be temporary!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts