Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are the Triglav wheels a real pain to clean?

As they are not "sided" dirt build up is different on each side of the car and there are a lot of nooks and crannies for dirt to get lodged in.

Just did it at at the weekend and am not used to spending 20 mins on the wheels!!! That's longer than I normally spend on the whole car :) .

Using a jet washer not possible at home. I did previously take it to the Sainsburys wash but found the wheels were still black after the wash :cry: Alos the cleaning is only superficial, doesn't get into the wheel properly.

Its a Co Car so not planning on doing a full wash by hand often but do want the wheels to look reasonable. Any suggestions on a pre wash to spray before it goes into a car wash? I seem to have a lot of build up from motorway journeys, especially on the front wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I don't have a problem if you have one near you try an IMO car wash. They are brilliant.
Chain wash. It pulls the car through. The old fashioned Wilcomatic washes are useless and always have been (the ones where the brushes move backwards and forwards over a stationary car)
Or if all else fails, but s special wheel cleaning brush.
I must admit I wen't for TRIGLAV because they looked easier to clean than the Sirius and are certainly more interesting looking.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
I don't have a problem if you have one near you try an IMO car wash. They are brilliant.
Chain wash. It pulls the car through. The old fashioned Wilcomatic washes are useless and always have been (the ones where the brushes move backwards and forwards over a stationary car)
Or if all else fails, but s special wheel cleaning brush.
I must admit I wen't for TRIGLAV because they looked easier to clean than the Sirius and are certainly more interesting looking.
Personally I wouldn't use any car wash with brushes etc. on a new car. A great way of damaging the paintwork.

As far as the wheels are concerned, I've had mine coated in a nano-ceramic coating which helps repel dirt etc. (hydrophobic) as part of having my car detailed. So far I'm really impressed......dead easy to clean as nothing has really stuck!

·
Registered
503 Posts
And contrary to Colin, I suspected the Triglavs would be a pain.
Anyhoo, Colin cheats with a car wash :lol:

If you want to pre wash before going through the scrub n scratch, I recommend Valet Pro bilberry Wheel cleaner.
You can buy a 1 litre bottle, and get yourself a spray bottle (recycle a cleaned out empty kitchen cleaner one if handy).
You can use neat or diluted up to 10-1. I usually use it diluted about 6 parts water to one part cleaner and its very effective.
Apply a few minutes before the wash to let it soak in and do its thing :)

Admittedly the K's wheels have been nano coated with G5, but the vRS before hand wasn't, and they cleaned up well with the Valet Pro Bilberry.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I would NEVER use a conventional car wash. On the other hand I have used the IMO WASH for every new car over the last 10 Years and it has never done ANY damage to the paint. IMO use only two soft brushes. Most of the washing is done with dangly synthetic towelling like strips.
Dries with mega blower and more dangly towelly strips.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I haven't found the triglavs difficult to maintain. I use a pump sprayer with diluted wheel cleaner and it works well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm regretting choosing these wheels just now as I've started to think they look very busy. In contrast I think I'd have been really happy with the Sirius rims. Hopefully I don't feel like that when I get the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Horses for courses but Sirius rims to me look more exec saloon than 4x4 / SUV.

Vegas have a few nooks and crannies but nothing too arduous, and I happily use the local car wash (rotating brushes) have done for years and have never suffered any paint damage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After having a few VAG cars, and putting up with the horrible brake dust, i bit the bullet and got the anthracite triglavs for my kodiaq. within a week of ownership, i am so glad i did - the brake dust was already building up, but it is much harder to see from a distance on the grey wheels.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ordered them thinking they were anthracite which is what the brochure seemed to indicate and am still pretty angry that they are plain. Anthracite doesn't show the dirt nearly as badly so it didn't matter so much

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
AndyH said:
Horses for courses but Sirius rims to me look more exec saloon than 4x4 / SUV.

Vegas have a few nooks and crannies but nothing too arduous, and I happily use the local car wash (rotating brushes) have done for years and have never suffered any paint damage.
I agree. I also think (only my opinion) that they are boringly similar to every other spoked alloy wheel on the market. At least Triglavs are different!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Dr_Pepper said:
I ordered them thinking they were anthracite which is what the brochure seemed to indicate and am still pretty angry that they are plain. Anthracite doesn't show the dirt nearly as badly so it didn't matter so much
I complained about the PR material showing black Triglavs and was told that it was old PR and update material was available before I ordered.

I did mention that certain retailers are still advertising Kodiaq with black Triglavs but was told that they cannot dictate how their dealers advertise. I see the same dealer (Simpsons) are advertising today Kodiaq SE's for contract hire but the images they are using are of the Edition with black Triglavs, to me this is false advertising and Skoda should rain them in.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Simpsons are renowned for 'ploughing their owing furrow'. They delivered Kodiaqs to customers before 6th April in direct contravention of Skodas instructions & that was just one thing.
They seem to do what the hell they like and Skoda ignore it. I understand that Simpsons have some mutual commercial dealings with SUK which presumably precludes the latter from 'smacking Simpsons wrist'.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Considering the bad rep they have with a lot of customers, I am surprised Skoda still entertain them.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is that the same Simpsons who score 98% on Reevoo from 338 respondents who would buy from them again? Must be doing something right I guess

Well winter is coming to an end in the Southern Hemisphere, and next week it is forecast to be in the toasty 20s (deg C). Whilst I still haven't got used to a hot Christmas, I'll take the sun any day . . . I think I might be spoiling the pooch though !

2000kms and no creaks from the door handles

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate

Car Land vehicle Dog Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Cloud Water Sky Mountain Water resources

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Thanks for cheering us up Andy, as we head for (some might say we have already arrived at) our Winter. :lol: .
Nice pics!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Skoda UK are also guilty of misleading information on their website, several images of black Triglavs still appear on the Kodiaq pages which are not UK options.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jon Edwards said:
Skoda UK are also guilty of misleading information on their website, several images of black Triglavs still appear on the Kodiaq pages which are not UK options.
I agree, although they are UK dealer fit accessories, and can bought and fitted to your car ready for collection. Complain to the exec office of Skoda UK that they are misleading if you feel it's affected you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts