Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got home and while reversing the car the camera was not working...
I then parked the car and tried to turn the touch screen on and nothing... I could hear the radio playing but the screen was blank. Tried turning the radio on and off... nothing.
I then switched the car off and on... nothing...

So I switched it off and went in and had a look on google, it apparently a common VAG fault and usually sorts its self out after a few minutes.

So I went back out switched it on and hey presto it was all working fine. Apparently if you hold the radio on and off button down for 15 seconds it resets the system as well.
My wife mentioned it did the same with her once but worked again immediately after.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I'll have a chat with Skoda in the morning...

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Never heard that one, but thanks for the heads up. Very useful to anybody else that has the problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had this a couple of weeks ago. Holding the power button for 10-15 secs did the trick. Working with IT everyday I've learned that computers crash sometimes and can need restarting. The Infotainment System is just a computer dedicated to one task, Infotaining us.
As we say in IT "Have you turned it off and on again?"

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KodiaqNZ said:
I've had this a couple of weeks ago. Holding the power button for 10-15 secs did the trick. Working with IT everyday I've learned that computers crash sometimes and can need restarting. The Infotainment System is just a computer dedicated to one task, Infotaining us.
As we say in IT "Have you turned it off and on again?"

:D :D :D love that vid.

Thanks for that KodiaqNZ...

It's actually interesting reading if you look it up on the net. VAG dealers don't seem to really know what causes it. But one of the ideas is it's not starting or shutting down correctly. I.e. Not switching the system off just turning off the car doesn't allow it to always close down correctly. This make sense to be fair.
When starting the car, start the engine give it 20 seconds then switch the radio on. When finishing switch the radio off then give it 20 seconds and switch off the car.

Not sure if this will really make a difference but with any computer the shutting down process is important. I was talking to a machenic the other week and he said modern cars can take 20 mins to half an hour to power all their computers and systems down when after being turned off.

There was also mention that the system may need an update, however I would like to think a 10 week old car would be bang up to date.

I think it's a case of watch this space and if it continues I'll mention it to Skoda... well I'll probably give them a call about it anyway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well an update...

Went into town today and it was working fine as was the reversing camera.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The hard reset of holding the power button for 10-15 secs forces a clean boot, it should be good for a while.

Turning it off with the power button before turning off the ignition does not actually turn it off, it justs puts it in to a standby mode, so I can't see any benefit it this and it is likely to be an urban myth.

Plus, the various generations of RNS and MIB units over the years may look similar/the same but the OEM manufacturers (Panasonic etc) have changed, but you wouldn't know unless you took the unit out. I once had 2 Bolero units from Octavia II's that were different manufacturers, looked exactly the same when in the car BUT had very different features and firmware - one wouldn't support an external CD changer and the other would for example.

So, it may have worked on a 15 year old RNS-510 Columbus but may not work on a 6 month old MIB2 Columbus if you get my drift.

All firmware has bugs - think how often you get Apple/Android/Microsoft updates - nothing is perfect out of the box unfortunately.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andyvee said:
The hard reset of holding the power button for 10-15 secs forces a clean boot, it should be good for a while.

Turning it off with the power button before turning off the ignition does not actually turn it off, it justs puts it in to a standby mode, so I can't see any benefit it this and it is likely to be an urban myth.

Plus, the various generations of RNS and MIB units over the years may look similar/the same but the OEM manufacturers (Panasonic etc) have changed, but you wouldn't know unless you took the unit out. I once had 2 Bolero units from Octavia II's that were different manufacturers, looked exactly the same when in the car BUT had very different features and firmware - one wouldn't support an external CD changer and the other would for example.

So, it may have worked on a 15 year old RNS-510 Columbus but may not work on a 6 month old MIB2 Columbus if you get my drift.

All firmware has bugs - think how often you get Apple/Android/Microsoft updates - nothing is perfect out of the box unfortunately.
Interesting write up, as you say nothing is perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts