1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colin the box for the throttle (RaceChip XLR) is 'only' £189
https://www.racechip.co.uk/throttle-tuning/xlr.html
Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:59 am

Knowing that Aviva will NOT insure chipped or re-mapped cars I wanted to ensure that they did not class the throttle mod as the former.
this was their reply. Just because Aviva are ok with it (they are very picky!) don't assume your insurance will be. Check with them or you may be in very deep sh*t if you have a prang with out informing your insurance Co.I am just talking to Aviva and I I know they Will NOT cover chipping or re-mapping.
But

P.S.. A chap on the Yeti forum was concerned that although it would not increase the premium it may affect the cover (I could not see how it would but thought it better to check)
here is the AVIVA answer . Interesting about a smaller car though!!

<COLOR color="#0000FF">We're very busy at the moment, but we'll be with you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Info: You are connected with Phil, an Aviva advisor.

Info:

Phil: Hi Colin Lambert, my name is Phil. How can I help you today?

Colin Lambert: Good Afternoon. Just a question about the chat I had with You at 11.00 today, please.

Colin Lambert: I know you said the throttle gizmo would not affect my premium. Can I assume it will not affect my cover in any way

Phil: Yes correct.

Colin Lambert: Thank you. Just that some chap on the forum said I should check. That's super thanks. I'll leave you in peace then. Sorry to trouble you Bye Bye

Phil: The top underwriters looked in to the details and checked the type of vehicle you had. If this sort of device was fitted to a smaller vehicle like a Vauxhall Corsa for example they would then charge a loading for this but because of the type of vehicle you have they are happy for you to do this.

Phil: No worries, always best to double check.

Phil: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Colin Lambert: No that's fine thank you so much . Bye

Phil: You're welcome. Take care.

Phil: Thanks for chatting to me today. It'd be great to hear what you think of our chat service, so if you're happy to answer a few quick questions, please click 'X' symbol and select the 'End Conversation' option.
</COLOR>[/color]

·
Registered
421 Posts
I like the sound is these things Colin but I think I'd need to be struggling and really disappointed with the throttle response to spend 200 notes to fix it. I've driven a fair amount of cars with DSG boxes (a few years ago now) and i cant say I ever had an issue with them.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hugh,
I am considering it at the moment. It was present on all 3 of my Yetis and worse on the 110BHP than the 105BHP model. now it is worse on the Kodiaq than the Yeti.
It is ok taking off. Usually! Sometimes it hesitates when pulling out of a junction which I think is bluddy dangerous. What it does do most of the time is hesitate when you want to do a fairly speedy overtake. I'm doing a longer trip cross country this weekend so I will be paying particular attention to it. Then I may be in a position to make a decision.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
I like the sound is these things Colin but I think I'd need to be struggling and really disappointed with the throttle response to spend 200 notes to fix it. I've driven a fair amount of cars with DSG boxes (a few years ago now) and i cant say I ever had an issue with them.
This has nothing to do with the DSG as manual boxes are the same, it's down to EU6 software

·
Registered
421 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Hugh Fanism said:
This has nothing to do with the DSG as manual boxes are the same, it's down to EU6 software
Fair play. I'll assess it when I finally get mine. I'm hoping I don't notice anything and I wonder what you guys are on about. I'm starting to fear the worst when Colin isn't happy with it though.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fear not Hugh.
I am not UNHAPPY. I just think it could be better. I have done the first bit of my weekend drive and to be honest I didn't notice the lag at all. But I was stuck behind crawlers with no chance of an overtake on at least two occasions..
So at the moment I will be saving my £££. Let's see what the rest of the weekends driving brings..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
It is ok taking off. Usually! Sometimes it hesitates when pulling out of a junction which I think is bluddy dangerous. What it does do most of the time is hesitate when you want to do a fairly speedy overtake. I'm doing a longer trip cross country this weekend so I will be paying particular attention to it. Then I may be in a position to make a decision.
I think there may be a general misunderstanding between the inherent momentary confusion of the DSG box, and the throttle lag programmed in by manufacturers. Both are not unique to the Skoda family.

As discussed at length the DSG box can change gear incredibly quickly, but only one at a time, and only in the direction (up or down) it thinks is appropriate. If you want to swap 2 or 3 cogs in a hurry, or accelerate from a trailing throttle be prepared for a couple seconds hesitation. The power won't come in until the box tells the electronic management that it's happy. All we can do to overcome this is select gears manually, or apply a little power towards end of braking with left-foot-braking.

Programmed throttle lag is a Green Evil and should be illegal IMO. As Colin points out it stifles precise acceleration when pulling out of a junction or overtaking, inviting too much right foot and kangaroo performance - not what you expect from a modern family car, and in some circumstances dangerous.

My personal experience of modifying throttle response has been 100% positive. I've driven the car 4,000 miles without it and 2,000 miles with it, and I wouldn't go back to factory setting. Yes it cost me a few quid, but Hell the car cost me £30k+ so it's an insignificant amount to provide driving characteristics I need.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can anyone who has fitted one of these show some pictures, there was a post somewhere but can't find it &#x1f44d-1f3fb;
Also where do you stand fitting one of these on a lease motor is anything made void due to fitting one.
Did you find it easy to install.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I totally agree with kodiaqpetrolhead, even though I've only done about a tenth of the mileage!

Really easy to fit.......10 minutes.

Re the question of returning at the end of a lease......it would take about 3 minutes to remove.

I've now done a couple of hundred miles with it fitted. I've tried a few different settings (and occasionally switch it back to Skoda stock setting for comparison) and it makes a huge difference.

I've pretty much settled on the "S+" setting as being the right one for me.....it removes virtually all of the throttle lag, but without it being too extreme / over-sensitive at low speeds. There's still the odd "flat spot" when you suddenly put your foot down, but far shorter and much less noticeable than standard. To be honest, once I've done some more mileage I'll probably leave it in that setting permanently.

In summary....the throttle lag is the only significant issue / disappointment I've had so far with my Kodiaq.....and this solves it!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anybody considered if the lag in response may be turbo lag coupled with throttle lag? Or does the XLR REALLY give instant response.
Back from my weekend away. I did get a couple of instances of lag. I'm not usually indecisive.
But I can't make my mind up if it's worth 189squid. The amount is no problem but I'm a tight old sod 😉 and don't like blatant waste.
Bear in mind minted is a1.4 150bhp DSG NOT an oiler. Anyone else with a 1.4 TSi fitted one?HELP!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Has anybody considered if the lag in response may be turbo lag coupled with throttle lag? Or does the XLR REALLY give instant response.
Back from my weekend away. I did get a couple of instances of lag. I'm not usually indecisive.
But I can't make my mind up if it's worth 189squid. The amount is no problem but I'm a tight old sod 😉 and don't like blatant waste.
Bear in mind minted is a1.4 150bhp DSG NOT an oiler. Anyone else with a 1.4 TSi fitted one?HELP!
I'm sure turbo lag plays a part (and probably explains the fact that there are still some "flat spots" when asking for throttle, albeit much reduced with the XLR) but it genuinely does make a real difference.

My "better half" had her first proper drive in it today (and she is a bit of a girl racer, with her BMW) and after half the journey with the XLR set in "S+" mode, I then switched it back into "N" (standard Skoda) mode.....and she instantly noticed a real difference, particularly at roundabouts....both pulling out onto roundabouts / junctions from a standstill, but also when applying throttle on exiting a roundabout or turn.

Is it perfect? Does it eliminate ALL flat spots and throttle lag? Not quite (unless you put it into one of the R or R+ modes but then it's too lairy).

Would I get rid of my XLR box and get my money back? No way!

Do I recommend it? Absolutely.......what's £189 after having spent over £30k on a new car. Well worth it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does throttle tuning have any influence for warranty?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't comment on warranty. But since it can be removed without trace in 5 minutes.
If it was me I would just remove it if there was a problem involving a warranty claim.

I have checked with my insurer, Aviva, & they are very picky on any add on electronics mentioning tuning. But after a 10 minute wait, while they consulted their guru, I now have it in writing that although they require one to advise fitment of the XLR, it will NOT affect either my premium or my level of cover.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Colin trust me it is ALL down to the software, these pedal boxes remove the lag!

I also know a few 280 TSi Superb owners who swear by them.

G

·
Silly question but can this be achieved through the Driving Mode Selection option ?
I've always experienced throttle lag on my Octavias ( had 2 DSG and current is manual ) so was hoping this addition to my K would solve that ..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pity we're 6 hours apart Colin, or you could borrow mine for a couple of days - it's easy to take on & off, and I'm sure would work on another tsi engine.
I wondered myself how much of throttle lag would be due to turbo, but with the XLR I can't detect any - the main culprit when it does now hesitate is because the DSG box has got its knickers in a twist, and frankly when this happens I blame myself for not obeying its rules.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kind offer. But as you say, 6 hours there and back and for twice the price of a tankfull I can buy one. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sprower said:
I totally agree with kodiaqpetrolhead, even though I've only done about a tenth of the mileage!

Re the question of returning at the end of a lease......it would take about 3 minutes to remove.

I've now done a couple of hundred miles with it fitted. I've tried a few different settings (and occasionally switch it back to Skoda stock setting for comparison) and it makes a huge difference.

I've pretty much settled on the "S+" setting as being the right one for me.....it removes virtually all of the throttle lag, but without it being too extreme / over-sensitive at low speeds. There's still the odd "flat spot" when you suddenly put your foot down, but far shorter and much less noticeable than standard. To be honest, once I've done some more mileage I'll probably leave it in that setting permanently.

In summary....the throttle lag is the only significant issue / disappointment I've had so far with my Kodiaq.....and this solves it!
Sprower, I've just ordered one and they sent me the fitting instructions. They seem to be full of warnings and possible problems.
Did you follow the instructions to the letter, turning off ignition for 10 mins etc?
Did you encounter any problems?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Sprower said:

Sprower, I've just ordered one and they sent me the fitting instructions. They seem to be full of warnings and possible problems.
Did you follow the instructions to the letter, turning off ignition for 10 mins etc?
Did you encounter any problems?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Hi Colin,

No problems at all. I didn't follow it to the letter as I felt the instructions were very generic and cover-all. In fact the car won't allow you to lock it with the door open as the instructions suggest!

I did leave it a few minutes having switched off the ignition but to be honest on this car I'm not sure that makes any difference.

Really easy.....far easier than what you've done with a dash-cam!

Simon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts