·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
61 Posts
It deserves all the plaudits.
I have to say though, in the nicest possible way, that im getting ever so slightly irritated by some of these testers banging on and on about the diesel option.
The 150 BHP petrol is more than adequate, its not too uneconomical and I cannot, for the life of me, see why road testers go on and on about how much better an option the diesel is if the car is loaded up.
Seriously, If you are doing high mileages or you just prefer the diesel surge under your right foot, and I do LOVE a turbo diesel, then that's absolutely fine but the 1.4 petrol 150 BHP lump will do all you want too and it wont be so hugely different in economy that the average Joe will have to spend fortunes filling up every month.
Ive owned VAG diesel cars, ( Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo , Seat Ibiza ) and I cannot rate them highly enough BUT my Octavia 1.2 TSi I just traded in for my Kodiaq was seriously good in terms of performance/economy.
If people are so concerned about fuel consumption over a modest annual mileage then, maybe, a 5/7 seat SUV is not really for them?
Lets be honest here, the 'average' price for a new Kodiaq is probably well north of £25k, so an extra £10/£20 per month in fuel on a petrol engine is unlikely to finish off a new owner.
That's not even a good night out on the beer! :D

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob,
I agree with you 100%.
I have even written to What Car asking why they keep banging on about derv options when the world is turning against 'The Devils Fuel'. The answer was that they would be reviewing the TSi Kodiaqs before long. That was 4 months ago!!!
every time you see/hear a review of a new car Derv is almost the recommended type.
Honda will not supply any CR-v with a derv motor after this year and I think Renault are stopping producing ANY derv engines (but I stand to be corrected on this). So at least some manufacturers have got the message.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rob M said:
I have to say though, in the nicest possible way, that im getting ever so slightly irritated by some of these testers banging on and on about the diesel option.
The 150 BHP petrol is more than adequate, its not too uneconomical and I cannot, for the life of me, see why road testers go on and on about how much better an option the diesel is if the car is loaded up.
Seriously, If you are doing high mileages or you just prefer the diesel surge under your right foot, and I do LOVE a turbo diesel, then that's absolutely fine but the 1.4 petrol 150 BHP lump will do all you want too and it wont be so hugely different in economy that the average Joe will have to spend fortunes filling up every month.
Ive owned VAG diesel cars, ( Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo , Seat Ibiza ) and I cannot rate them highly enough BUT my Octavia 1.2 TSi I just traded in for my Kodiaq was seriously good in terms of performance/economy.
If people are so concerned about fuel consumption over a modest annual mileage then, maybe, a 5/7 seat SUV is not really for them?
Lets be honest here, the 'average' price for a new Kodiaq is probably well north of £25k, so an extra £10/£20 per month in fuel on a petrol engine is unlikely to finish off a new owner.
I think your missing the point. The reason the testers are bigging up the 150 diesel plant is that it's a great engine with loads of power available across the range and it also comes with the brilliant 7 speed box. Also in real world driving it will give around 10+ mpg.
I suppose they think if your spending around 30 k on a car then get the nicest one to drive, in their professional opinion. Not to save some money on purchase and make do with your lot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jacro said:
Rob M said:
I think your missing the point. The reason the testers are bigging up the 150 diesel plant is that it's a great engine with loads of power available across the range and it also comes with the brilliant 7 speed box. Also in real world driving it will give around 10+ mpg.
I suppose they think if your spending around 30 k on a car then get the nicest one to drive, in their professional opinion. Not to save some money on purchase and make do with your lot.
Well, on the basis that you get the nicest one to drive with your money, Im going to have to slum it with the boggo petrol lump while all those diesel owners point and laugh as they pass me at the filling station....... ;)
I understand where you are coming from but you have missed the thrust of my post.
The diesel engine is not superior to the petrol engine, and I say that as a BIG fan of diesel engines.
Both engines offer different things, the idea that one is better than the other assumes that one size must fit all, which it doesn't.
The differences in performance between the 150bhp diesel and petrol lumps will not be that significant in, as you say, in the real world driving.
What exactly real world driving is, Im not sure as I tend to run my cars in for a few thousand miles then have the rev counter shouting for help when im on a long quick drive. Others will not drive like that and may well achieve a better fuel consumption, and that's the point really, you can talk about an average consumption difference but, ultimately, there are many other factors which will dictate fuel consumption.
My beef is that the testers have assumed that the diesel is better than the petrol and the auto box is superior to the manual.
I actually test drove the 2.0 Diesel and found it no more engaging than my petrol, again, its horses for courses.
The whole idea, surely, is not to assume that one engine and drive train is BETTER but to assume that one may suit you better than the other.
Here is a case in point, most testers recommend the SE L as the pick of the bunch over the more expensive Edition.
The SE L isn't better than the Edition, its cheaper and has fewer toys but people have bought and will still by the Edition because it fulfills their criteria more so than the SE L.......just as the petrol manual may over the diesel auto.
The testers need to be testing more of the petrol models and giving a greater emphasis on choice, they are not.
There is no doubt that people are moving away from diesels now, I find it crazy that testers are not providing potential buyers with a credible alternative within the range, thats not just the Kodiaq range but most other vehicles too.
Pity.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i actually find it refreshing that testers aren't getting duped into the death of derv and giving honest reviews of how a car drives. The original posts link to the parkers review is very telling and good food for thought for a potential purchaser. 👍

·
Registered
617 Posts
AndyH said:
The Guardian is a newspaper, while Daily Mail is a tabloid. ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom

Daily Mail's source is Auto Trader, which actually says this:

http://about-us.autotrader.co.uk/auto-trader-reveals-true-impact-demonizing-diesel-car-buying-behaviour-market-prices/

"In November 2016, 71% of car buyers selecting a fuel type when searching on Auto Trader chose diesel, compared to just 26% for petrol vehicles. As the first call from London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, came in November for the government to introduce a national diesel scrappage scheme, followed by months of negative press coverage on diesel cars, the share for diesel searches had dropped to 54% by May 2017. Petrol searches gained as a result, rising to 43% of all searches in the same month. Yet despite this, car buyers still search for diesel vehicles more than any other fuel type on Auto Trader.

From May 2017 diesel searches returned to growth, rising to 56% in June and petrol dropping to 41%. In spite of this, diesel is still a long way from recovering the dominant share of searches it held before November 2016.

Yet despite this average market increase, diesel is the only fuel type where month-on-month price increases are slowing. The average year-on-year price increase for diesel used cars was just 1% in July 2017, which was balanced by a year-on-year price increase of 7.7% for petrol vehicles."

·
Registered
23 Posts
To get back to the original topic, so kodiaq won the best 7 seater ? I dont need 7 seats ,but many tests from real users have shown, that it is difficult to put 3 child seats in second row. Then the acces to 3rd row is very difficult and also there are very< few child seats recommended for 3rd row.
In my opinion a great car, but not a great 7 seater.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would have to agree with Lecko, 7 seats in any SUV does not make a great 7 seater. If you need to use the 7 seats all the time you do need to get a MPV. Any 3rd row in an SUV is only for short runs.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some of you are missing my point & some are getting it. I can't quote everybody.
The point is that most EU countries are condemning diesel a fuel for cars & light vans due to the Nox levels.
Whilst at least two manufacturers have got the point and are ceasing production of diesel options, other idiots like VAG are continuing to push 'oilers' (You CANNOT buy a Passat with a petrol engine now!)
My point, which some of you have missed is that with all the anti derv feeling, they persist in testing diesels and telling people they are the best thing since sliced bread and NOT reviewing the petrol engined versions.
Diesel is fine (I have had plenty of 'oilers' and have nothing against it as a fuel).
BUT!!!
IF you only do short runs, low annual mileage and do not need to tow, as in my case. you are insane if you buy a diesel.
A. It costs more to buy, B. DPF & Adblue Aggro. C. probable impending poor residuals as the anti-derv attitude takes more of a grip*. D Derv is generally more expensive than petrol, specially in the winter months.
* not applicable if you have bought on PCP with guaranteed P/X
The reviews rarely, if ever, mention these facts for some strange reason.
The generally accepted break point on annual mileage is 15k. Less than that and you don't need a diesel (unless you tow)
So I am with RobM. I shall cruise around quite happily and quietly ;) in my almost odourless, cheaper to service car doing almost as much to the cheaper gallon as the 'oilers'.

·
Registered
617 Posts
lecko said:
To get back to the original topic, so kodiaq won the best 7 seater ? I dont need 7 seats ,but many tests from real users have shown, that it is difficult to put 3 child seats in second row. Then the acces to 3rd row is very difficult and also there are very< few child seats recommended for 3rd row.
In my opinion a great car, but not a great 7 seater.
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, in a 7 seater. Barring Audi Q7, I'm not aware of a 'proper' 7 seater SUV. Yes, some MPVs offer genuine 7 seats to fit 3 child seats in the middle row. I'm assuming this wasn't the criteria adopted when awarding the Kodiaq.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my Goodness. The petrol brigade do get rather irritated and long winded if their mantra is challenged. It's the pro reviewers that refer to the petrol being lacklustre and wheezy suggesting the diesel as their pick Also I've driven the Petrol for a day and it's still a very good car. So enjoy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts