Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using an EE preloaded data sim for the Columbus in the glove box. Now despite having this set to 'Data only' the system is using this sim to send text messages rather than my iPhone connected via Bluetooth.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Calls do still go through the phone.

I have been through set-up rituals a few times following user manual & although the manual claims you can specify which connection text messaging uses, I don't get the exact same menu as stated in manual.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You need to switch to smartphone's SIM in settings. But keep in mind that some smartphones like my iPhone 6s+ doesn't support text messaging.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I know if you are using a SIM in the external module it does affect the phones Bluetooth rSAP functionality but this should only effect data transfer and not influence text messages so it maybe as said previously your phone is not compatible.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay also disables rSAP data transfers I believe.

I will be connecting all data services via rSAP on the phone rather than the external module as I have a good data plan on my phone.

·
Registered
724 Posts
From owner's manual:

Text message settings - Text message settings for the sim card inserted in the external module or in the telephone connected to Infotainment by the Bluetooth® profile rSAP (applies to Infotainment Columbus with the SIM card slot in the external module)

■ Standard account - Setting for the use of text messages (only visible when the SIM card is only used for data services while a telephone is connected to the Infotainment that supports the Bluetooth® profile MAP)
■ No standard account - Without priority (selection of the SIM card or the connected telephone required)
■ SIM - A list of text messages on the SIM card
MAP - A list of text messages of the connected telephone

·
Registered
194 Posts
Birksy said:
I'm using an EE preloaded data sim for the Columbus in the glove box. Now despite having this set to 'Data only' the system is using this sim to send text messages rather than my iPhone connected via Bluetooth.

I have been through set-up rituals a few times following user manual & although the manual claims you can specify which connection text messaging uses, I don't get the exact same menu as stated in manual.
I have the same issue with my iPhone 7. As far as I'm aware it's because (as per another reply above) Apple doesn't enable the text function via the car interface when connected via Bluetooth.......only via CarPlay (which is a horrible interface and you lose other functionality).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Apple are notorious for restricting access to aspects of their products & I can't believe this didn't cross my mind, but of course this is the problem.

I'm actually running iOS 11 on my phone so looks like Apple won't be rectifying this anytime soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Birksy,
Interesting thread for me as I have a Kodiaq on order with the Columbus external SIM option (LTE).
You say that your SIM in the Columbus external box is sending your texts. Does the system have the ability to read any incoming texts (via this SIM) on the Columbus screen?
Cheers,
Geoff

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tradewind25 said:
Hi Birksy,
Interesting thread for me as I have a Kodiaq on order with the Columbus external SIM option (LTE).
You say that your SIM in the Columbus external box is sending your texts. Does the system have the ability to read any incoming texts (via this SIM) on the Columbus screen?
Cheers,
Geoff
I believe so Geoff as you can compose a message via voice activation. Although I've not tried it because the sim I'm using in the module is supposed to be data only.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Birksy said:
I believe so Geoff as you can compose a message via voice activation. Although I've not tried it because the sim I'm using in the module is supposed to be data only.
A see your point. Yet your data-only SIM manages to SEND a text!? :?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tradewind25 said:
Birksy said:
A see your point. Yet your data-only SIM manages to SEND a text!? :?
Yes... and seeing as its prepaid preloaded (2GB per month for 3 months for £30) I have no idea where the text charges would go!

I went down this route to try and gauge how data thirsty the services & apps will be. Do a 3 month trial & then reassess requirements.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Birksy said:
Yes... and seeing as its prepaid preloaded (2GB per month for 3 months for £30) I have no idea where the text charges would go!

I went down this route to try and gauge how data thirsty the services & apps will be. Do a 3 month trial & then reassess requirements.
I intend to do the same thing, Birksy. In my case I'll probably start with a £5 'Gigabag' (data-only) SIM from Giffgaff. It occurs to me that in that case I can also have top-up cash on my account that would pay any charges for sending/receiving texts. (Don't know if EE is the same??)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also started experiencing similar issues with text messaging after only having had my Kodiaq a couple of weeks.

Bought a GiffGaff SIM for the in-car module and set it for data use only.

Use my EE Android device for all calls and SMS via Bluetooth.

Initially, I was able to access my text messages via my Android phone/Bluetooth - the voice control was even able to read out messages and pronounce my wife's name correctly (otherwise the voice control is a rather hit and miss affair. Mainly a miss).

But over the last few days, the SIM in the in-car module has decided it will take over the SMS functions. Despite repeatedly changing the SMS text number settings from GiffGaff to EE, the system defaults back to GiffGaff after every start-up.

Now, I don't even see a text option in my telephone settings for my Android device. These are only available for the in-car module.

Also, none of the settings referred to in the manual about choosing which device to use for texts are shown in the menu options.

I have pulled out the in-car SIM; deleted and then re-connected my Android phone via Bluetooth; disabled/enabled the data-only setting; disabled/enabled the 'Business Telephone' function; etc. But no combination of the above seems to work.

Stumped for now...

'Moon White' SE L; 1.4 TSI; 7 seats; Columbus.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Text messages are sometimes sent as a true SMS and sometimes sent as data message using your data bundle. iMessages for example on iPhone are data messages coming out of your data bundle and not counted as an SMS message. So makes sense that if somehow the sim in the car is taking over from the phone connected via Bluetooth it will also be able to send and receive (data) text messages although be interesting to see what telephone number it shows it's from to the recipient!?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I didn't think many people actually sent SMS anymore and used WhatsApp and the like. I wouldn't want my car to receive my messages, I could be done without my Mrs reading mm when she's riding shotgun.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Through Android Auto, I can dictate messages via SMS or WhatsApp and also have incoming messages read out to me. I don't have a separate data SIM.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sprower said:
Birksy said:

I have the same issue with my iPhone 7. As far as I'm aware it's because (as per another reply above) Apple doesn't enable the text function via the car interface when connected via Bluetooth.......only via CarPlay (which is a horrible interface and you lose other functionality).
You can read text messages sent to an iPhone connected to the Kodiaq via Bluetooth (either on screen or by having them read out to you), but you cannot send a text message or read old messages other than by connecting your iPhone via USB and using CarPlay. The car will also display an envelope icon when you receive an incoming message. CarPlay is overall vastly superior for sending and receiving text messages.

To allow the car to show you incoming messages on your phone, in "Bluetooth settings" on your phone, you need to tap on the connection to your car and switch on "show notifications". It's off by default.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts