Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Test drive 2.0 TSI 180 / comparison with 2.0 TDI 190

29K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  daveskis 
#1 ·
I'd previously test-driven and ordered the 190 DSG Diesel (separate post detailed that test drive) but subsequently decided to change my order to petrol.....the 2.0 TSI 180 engine. My dealer has just taken delivery of one of these as a demo / stock model, so I've had a quick test drive in that, and been able to directly compare not just the engine but also a few other features......

Engine - definitely a slight bit more responsive than the diesel and eager to rev. Also noticeably quieter. I would be totally happy with either engine, both are fantastic, and of course it's down to personal choice, type of driving etc. For me I'm saving £1500 on the purchase price, but after 3 years (given my mileage) the costs will be pretty much even. Having switched to petrol I get a slightly better performing car, and slightly de-risk against the current anti-diesel movement and any impact on residual values.....but as a long-term diesel fan I could very happily have gone either way and wouldn't be disappointed with either choice.

Panoramic roof - love it. Definitely glad I've ordered it, both for the extra light in the cabin, as well as the option of some fresh air!

DCC - Only tried this briefly. Again there is pretty much a 50/50 split of people who are pro- or anti- DCC and I respect both views, it's personal choice......personally I'm glad I have NOT ordered it. "Comfort" mode I found to be very "wallowing" and rolling with every turn.....perfect for bringing on car-sickness. And Sport mode I found unnecessarily harsh and you feel every bump. Normal mode is great, no body roll to worry about, etc. and feels exactly the same as the non-DCC model I'd tried previously. If I'd opted for DCC I reckon it would have permanently stayed in "normal" and I'd be annoyed at wasting £1000.

Gearbox (DSG) - as reported by others, slightly jerky on pulling away (same with both petrol and diesel), but not a problem. In normal "D" mode there is a lag when accelerating (I was simulating an over-take, accelerating 40-60ish) but not really any different than I had in my previous car (LR Discovery Sport) and I got used to that very quickly, and how to pre-empt it. The lag is far less in "S" mode.

But overall this 2nd test drive has absolutely reinforced that this is a lovely car to drive, very comfortable, and can't wait to get my hands on mine in a couple of months.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know were the jerky pull away comes from ... my previous car (Octavia DSG) and the Kodiaq DSG I have found very smooth, perhaps I have a more progressive foot, even though my wife thinks its leaden :lol:

Interesting to read your thoughts, I never got to test drive any before I ordered, but it was always going to be a petrol for me due to low miles and personal preference.

#3 ·
Really looking forward to driving mine....pick it up Monday..

#4 ·
Jerky pull away can be caused by auto hold function. I've disabled mine and rely on my own brain when to engage the hand brake.

They drive very smooth when pulling away with this disabled.

#5 ·
Thanks......good point re auto hold. It was enabled in both my test drive cars and I didn't change that setting. Happy to disable it and manually control the handbrake!

#7 ·
$k0d1ak said:
Deshy said:
Really looking forward to driving mine....pick it up Monday..
Happy days!
But don't forget your obligation as new owner: a post with pics and first impressions!
I will but as I'm currently recovering from an op.. driving will be minimal till atleast the weekend

#8 ·
wrobz said:
Jerky pull away can be caused by auto hold function. I've disabled mine and rely on my own brain when to engage the hand brake.

They drive very smooth when pulling away with this disabled.
Possibly, but I also use the auto hold/handbrake and don't suffer from it.

#9 ·
I too have ordered a 180 TSI without test drive, but drove the 190TDI, thanks for the review very reassuring. Did you give any consideration to ordering the MFSW with paddles? Would this help with any DSG issues do you think?

Thanks

#10 ·
Hiya,

I had flappy paddles on my last car (LR Discovery Sport) and very rarely used them.

Given that the DSG box on the Kodiaq can be put into "manual mode" by pushing left, and then you can easily change up or down (for me in a much more natural way than flappy paddles especially when cornering so the paddles are at an angle) I know that on the Kodiaq I would barely use the paddles at all, but I know I will use the manual option on the "gearstick".

#12 ·
Hi Sprower,

They came on a Mini Cooper S auto we had, and I never really used them either, so I have not specified them either. But I had the same experience of the hesitant pull away testing the diesel DSG. I can't ever remember this being an issue in a 2005 2.OTDI DSG golf I had, considering that it changes gear in fractions of a second, I wondered if the paddles may get round this. But as you point out, the same can be achieved through the 'gearstick'. Hopefully the comments about the auto hold will resolve this. Apparently Basingstoke has one of the highest ratios of round about to population in the country, we all wear out our tyres in the same way! Unpredictable sluggish get always at round abouts would be a real pain.

#13 ·
Roundabouts? Basingstoke? I'm extremely worried about the DSG ive ordered living in Milton Keynes! Ah well sure it'll be fine (and I ordered paddles anyways cos I've never had an auto before and thought I'd give them a go!)

#16 ·
jackiedada said:
Any one compared the noise levels between the 2.0 TSI & the 1.4 TSI - are they similar or is the 1.4 noticeably quieter than the 2.0? How about smoothness?
I haven't been in a 1.4, but I can say I don't think their will be any difference in sound levels, my 2.0 TSI is the quietest car I have owned.
You get a muted growl when asking for some oomph, but otherwise the engine is near on indiscernible and buttery smooth.
Road noise and wind noise I find to be very supressed.

#17 ·
Ordered Edition 2.0 TDI 187 PS with few extras in Perl Black - not sure I have done right thing after I red some articles regarding Diesel Road TAX increase.
Any way I hope that new diesel's won't be affected that much :p

#18 ·
Blackwhite said:
Ordered Edition 2.0 TDI 187 PS with few extras in Perl Black - not sure I have done right thing after I red some articles regarding Diesel Road TAX increase.
Any way I hope that new diesel's won't be affected that much :p
Sorry, not in UK myself - could you give an example of what a Kodiaq with that spec pays and what changes are being discussed?
I'm afraid Ireland will happily follow lead to Road Tax increases in neighbouring UK.

#19 ·
Well after driving the 2.0 TSI and 190TDI I'm changing from petrol to diesel. Drove the diesel again last Saturday and this Saturday I have a drive in the TSI to put the final nail in the coffin.

#20 ·
#21 ·
The commute is half 50/60kph urban and 80kph dual-carriage. Every fortnight family trips are done on a mix of b-roads and motorways and especially on ski trips the diesel will be worth the $4000 difference.

#22 ·
Blackwhite said:
Price of Kodiak I have ordered is £37480 including Ceramic Coat and Gap Insurance.
Regarding Taxes you can find everything here: http://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/diesel-cars/460/diesel-tax-proposed-charges-and-surcharges-for-uk-drivers
It will affect whole Europe , not only UK

@Zach
I prefer diesel as mostly I do long journeys - not of often driving in town.
Also diesel has more power when overtaking - and that helps a lot on curvy roads.
How much did you pay for GAP insurance? I thought it was illegal for dealers to sell GAP insurance on the same visit. If you buy GAP separately, from ALA for example (10% discount code floating around if you look for it), it's only a little more than £200.

#23 ·
Blackwhite, great article, it is clear that there is plenty of policy movement against diesel and it is inevitable that the technicalities of being Euro 6 or not will be lost in the general view - which means residual values are bound to take a knock. Nobody should take the risk on owning a new diesel these days, a lease or PCP deal would be fine, but not out right purchase.

DSG lag at roundabouts is not necessarily a problem if it is consistent, my right foot has learned when to press the go peddle as a car is passing us at a roundabout, a bit more lag means my foot has to learn a new setting, shouldn't be a problem. But if the DSG hesitation is different depending on some circumstances the ECU is calculating, then it will be much harder to pull away consistently. So in the various test drives and experiences has anyone had any problem?

#24 ·
Buying Gap with your car: the new rules
The sale of Gap insurance with vehicles has proved controversial and is attracting the attention of the regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Concerned that dealerships were selling Gap insurance alongside vehicles at a high mark-up without clearly explaining the rules, the FCA introduced a host of new rules which came into force on 1 September 2015.
Dealerships selling Gap insurance must tell you the following before you buy a policy:
The total premium for the Gap insurance
The length of the policy
The features, benefits, unusual exclusions and limitations of the product
That the product can be bought elsewhere from standalone providers
Whether Gap insurance is an optional or compulsory add-on to the sale of the vehicle
In addition, dealerships can no longer sell you Gap insurance on the same day they sell you a car. There must be at least a two-day break, unless you decide to waive the waiting period.
If you do wait two days or longer, the provider should go over the detail of the policy again. The decision to waive the waiting period must be initiated by you, and can't be suggested by the dealership.

#26 ·
bigboss said:
Blackwhite said:
Price of Kodiak I have ordered is £37480 including Ceramic Coat and Gap Insurance.
Regarding Taxes you can find everything here: http://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/diesel-cars/460/diesel-tax-proposed-charges-and-surcharges-for-uk-drivers
It will affect whole Europe , not only UK

@Zach
I prefer diesel as mostly I do long journeys - not of often driving in town.
Also diesel has more power when overtaking - and that helps a lot on curvy roads.
How much did you pay for GAP insurance? I thought it was illegal for dealers to sell GAP insurance on the same visit. If you buy GAP separately, from ALA for example (10% discount code floating around if you look for it), it's only a little more than £200.
[/quote

It depends how long it is for. My insurance gives me two years of replacement value for my car, should the worst happen. My cover with ALA would give me cover for a further period, giving a total of 5 years (you can even go to 6 years) for about £350.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.