Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

In the last week I have got to my Kodiaq in the morning to find the boot open - I'm spite of me locking the car and checking all is secure the night before. I've checked on the web and it appears some Mercedes have had this issue with electronic tailgates?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
Cluke said:
Hi all

In the last week I have got to my Kodiaq in the morning to find the boot open - I'm spite of me locking the car and checking all is secure the night before. I've checked on the web and it appears some Mercedes have had this issue with electronic tailgates?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Others on the forum have had the same issue, I have not. No idea what the final opinion was.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just a suggestion (I never had this problem).
If this happens again, consider storing your keyfobs in an RFID pouch. Just in case a fob sends the signal that causes the tailgate to open.

I am not ruling out that the car itself opens the tailgate somehow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you're getting an RFID pouch, note that many of them have an inner pocket that's metal-lined, and that's where you should place your keys or credit cards. I've seen a few comments with people complaining the pouches don't work, but they apparently placed their keys in the larger part which wasn't lined.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ninini said:
If you're getting an RFID pouch, note that many of them have an inner pocket that's metal-lined, and that's where you should place your keys or credit cards. I've seen a few comments with people complaining the pouches don't work, but they apparently placed their keys in the larger part which wasn't lined.
The point is you shouldn't need to store the keys in a pouch to stop the tailgate opening, it's ridulous. There are two reasons why this happens:

1. There is a technical fault with the car - get it sorted by your local dealership.

2. You are accidentally pressing the button, I cannot see how this can happen, even when carrying them around in my pocket I have never triggered the key fob.

If the only answer to stop this happening is to store the keys in a lined pouch then the system is not fit for purpose, return the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Iv had this problem a number of times when the keys are in my pocket.
The button must get pressed by accident in my pocket when im working.
The only problem is it will open from a distance, for instance if im in an upstairs room and i notice the boot has opened i can't close it from the room have to physically go down close to the car to shut it manually or with the key.
I dont know if this can be altered by the garage by pluging it in to there computer and altering any settings.
Also its a pity it cant close the boot with the Skoda connect app.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Jon Edwards said:
it's ridulous.
The whole KESSY and electric tailgate is ridiculous. It's a solution without a problem.
Let's go back to the old "press to unlock" keyfob.

Safer and not that inconvenient at all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
iwarv said:
Jon Edwards said:
it's ridulous.
The whole KESSY and electric tailgate is ridiculous. It's a solution without a problem.

That's what I've got on mine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
iwarv said:
Jon Edwards said:
it's ridulous.

On my 3rd car with KESSY and a powered tailgate, never had it happen to me in over 4 years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i've had my K nearly a year - it's happened to me 3 times, one of which i only knew because my friends (who also own a Kodiaq) knocked at the door to let me know. i've just had car in for first service, and asked them to check but they coudl find no fault.

i'm not convinced i pressed it in pocket - would be good to know if they can just disable it on the keyfob completely.

note: i have the 'virtual pedal' stick foot under magic boot opening thingy, if that matters (but that's pretty reliable and only works if key is really close - a suprisingly useful gadget tbh).

i do know that 2 out of the 3 times it happened to me, it was after i'd washed the car - probably coincidence, not sure how that would affect anything!

would be good to know if anyone has been able to convince their dealer to look into it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
This has happened quite a few times while key in my pocket so have had to resort to leaving it out.
Next time i go to garage will ask them to have a look or see if there is a way of disabling or change how it works

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
My post from
Re: Personalisation of drive mode
Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:49 am

I think the family of intermittent electrical gremlins are growing in the Kodiaq.
This morning I opened the boot on the handle (which only works sometimes!) and it opened a 1/4 of the way and stopped.
When I came back to the car I pressed the remote and nothing happened.
This is the only fault I have on my K , but it is driving me mad. It seems to have a mind of its own and YES I have gone through the complete sequence to sort it 'brain' out but it still misbehaves.

I suppose I should be grateful that is my cars only problem judging by all the other complaints. However it simply should not happen on a car costing north of £30K1
I am damn sure a CR-v or Forester would not have any of the problems we are having.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try going on a Land Rover forum. Many many more problems for more cost

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Don't I know it!
My 2 old Discos (1989 & 1999) were faultless but I would not have one as a present now!

·
Registered
141 Posts
"Never trust a computer you can't through out of a window"

·
Registered
945 Posts
iwarv said:
Jon Edwards said:
it's ridulous.

Correct, perhaps we could also revert to having a man with a red flag running in front to warn pedestrians of the impending doom rather than the all these new fangled assist systems. That was sarcasm and not a recommendation.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
He didn't run, that was the whole point. He walked the speed limit was 4 MPH. ;) The flag man must have been pretty fit to keep up a pace of 4MPH! :lol:
Iwarv is quite correct. It is an unnecessary luxury. One which I enjoyed on my Mitsu PHEV because the auto boot lid was (as most Japanese cars are ) faultless. I find the Kodiaq boot infuriating because I never know if it is going to work or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my Kodiaq about a year and the tailgate has opened by itself six times. Luckily my neighbour has usually noticed, but once it was open all night when it rained.
Surely there must be a way that the keyfob button can be disabled

·
Registered
945 Posts
ian h said:
I have had my Kodiaq about a year and the tailgate has opened by itself six times. Luckily my neighbour has usually noticed, but once it was open all night when it rained.
Surely there must be a way that the keyfob button can be disabled
The only way apart from physically butchering the remote (not recommended) is to use VCDS, I believe it can be turned off there. Someone with more VCDS knowledge will be able to answer more fully.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Sorry I can't help with your problem. mine was that the damn thing would NOT open or only halfway. I agree a solution to a non problem!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts